Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The thing that stops me using more internal storage is the 2TB iCloud storage plan I’m on. However if I had 512GB I’d want to fill it up. My current iPhone has 256GB of storage and I’ve used 109 GB. I would have used a lot more if it wasn’t for iCloud storage.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The thing that stops me using more internal storage is the 2TB iCloud storage plan I’m on. However if I had 512GB I’d want to fill it up. My current iPhone has 256GB of storage and I’ve used 109 GB. I would have used a lot more if it wasn’t for iCloud storage.
Likewise. I still have 156GB left on my 256GB max.

Edit crap forgot apple don’t do 128GB anymore on the max lol

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I think some people ignore the obvious. You can tell people who buy the large-capacity iPhones that they don't need all that storage, but they're going to want it anyway. Why? They simply want what they perceive to be the "best" or "top of the line." Everyone knows this is true with other products, especially products in the luxury category. Few people may need 512 GB of storage on their phone, but the lure of simply owning it is quite powerful.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I think some people ignore the obvious. You can tell people who buy the large-capacity iPhones that they don't need all that storage, but they're going to want it anyway. Why? They simply want what they perceive to be the "best" or "top of the line." Everyone knows this is true with other products, especially products in the luxury category. Few people may need 512 GB of storage on their phone, but the lure of simply owning it is quite powerful.

There are certainly some people like that, but I think more people are like that when it comes to processors and other performance indicators that are not as easily understood as storage capacity.

I know a lot of non-technical people who simply look at their old phone and base the storage on their new phone on how much they are currently using. If they are close to the limit on their current phone, they go for the next available step up in storage. If they are well below the limit, they try to buy the same (or close to it). The problem happens when sales staff up-sell less technical customers on more storage. I remember when my 82 year old mother showed me her new iPhone and iPad. She had gone to her local phone store to upgrade her old iPhone. The sales clerk sold her the highest capacity (I think it was 256 at the time) even though she had used only a fraction of the storage on her previous model. His up-sell point was that the new phone had a higher resolution camera, so she would need the maximum capacity to accommodate the larger files (perhaps he mistook her for a high volume amateur photographer and videographer... instead of a senior citizen who takes a few photos and videos of her dogs and grandchildren every now and then). On top of that he sold her an iPad mini with its own cellular data plan. She had no idea she was paying for cellular and only used it at home where she has WiFi. I spoke with the manager of the store and shamed them for taking advantage of an elderly customer. They eventually let her keep the devices but ended the cellular contract on her iPad and gave her a discount to make up for the additional cost of the iPhone storage.

So yeah...there are certainly those who simply have the cash and want the highest end model, whether they need the storage or not. Then there are those who are convinced by unscrupulous sales people that they need more storage.

One other issue that is all Apple's fault. I think they are getting better with the latest models, but throughout the years Apple has had an uncanny ability to offer storage options that are either too little or too much... never exactly what you need. 16 or 128, but no 64. Then 64 or 256, but no 128.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
I use lots of storage but i have found my 256 iphone 8 plus to have way enough storage.

cc00lltt00nn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Buford, GA
I used to buy the highest capacity for two reason:
-(pre-Apple Music) because of the thousands of songs took up a lot of space
-On a per-GB basis, they had the best resale value

Now, I only use about 85GB.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
What app lets you download the entire world? Please share. I’m looking to conquer the world. lmao
Maps.me
You can download, countries regions, or entire world. Updates every few months are around 7 GB. Whole world is about 36 GB of data. Once downloaded don’t need Wi-Fi or cell connection. Just gps to locate yourself. Sorta neet to have every road, city, location on the planet on my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Really can’t have too much storage in my opinion. I don’t like relying on internet nor relying on/paying for subscription services, so everything is stored on all my devices to the brim. If my phone had more storage and if software allowed, I’d also keep an automatically synced copy of ALL of my computer files for always ready access. With all my files—video library, music library, audiobook library, photo/video library, plus all my work and other personal files—I could probably fill 10 TB, maybe more. And that number only grows every month, significantly.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Maps.me
You can download, countries regions, or entire world. Updates every few months are around 7 GB. Whole world is about 36 GB of data. Once downloaded don’t need Wi-Fi or cell connection. Just gps to locate yourself. Sorta neet to have every road, city, location on the planet on my phone.

Yeah, great program. I use it here in the US and I'm headed to Europe and have downloaded the regional maps of interest.

Frumious B

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
I’m a music junkie and an iPod Classic refugee. I recently got a 256GB XR and I’m loving the additional space, and battery life too, compared to my previous 6s 128GB which only had a 2GB of free space and I was moving music on and off via my laptop every other day. I have a streaming subscription, but I have a huge CD library that is all ripped and while most of the albums can be streamed the specific CD mastering can’t be and then there are things like The Beatles mono CDs which aren’t on streaming at all. If the XR came in 512GB I might have even gone for that.
[doublepost=1556448526][/doublepost]
Can’t even listen to 120gb of music in your lifetime..

Also a joke I read on here before “never know when you’ll need pics from your aunts birthday from 2yrs ago” ... right??

I rip to lossless, but use 160kbps AAC for the files that I play on my phone and iPad. 128GB of music at that bitrate is maybe 70-80 days worth of music. I average 2-3 hours of music listening per day, watch almost zero TV, so that would mean I could listen to 38 days of music per year with just my normal listening habits and middling file quality. I could get through 128GB in two years. Hopefully I will live way longer than that. Others use higher quality files than I do that take up more space per minute so that 128GB goes by more quickly.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Photos. I can finally put my 200+GB photo database on my phone. That and like other smarter posters here said, the resale value is really nice. Not a lot more on the Apple Upgrade plan.

It is nice to have space if/when you need it. I can take gigs of photos at birthdays, family events, when I'm out in the beauty of nature.

Reactions: I7guy

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I used to always buy the highest memory amount available because i needed it for all my music and photos etc. I'm currently still using my 6s Plus with 128Gb and i am using about 70Gb's of that. My next iPhone i will probably get 64GB if available and do the thing that saves space with iCloud photos so they take up less space. Will be cheaper as latest iPhones have been growing in price ridiculously tbh. I do the 50Gb iCloud storage plan too

WillRRRR

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2017
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
256GB iPhone each person is enough for my family.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.png
    IMG_0759.png
    576.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
I keep my entire music library 30 GB on it. As well as bunch of movies 160 GB. Also have entire world map 36 GB downloaded, so all need is gps to navigate not internet.

Also to keep speed as high as possible keep 30 to 40% drive empty. Am at about 300 GB.

I never even think about memory regardless of what I download, movies, pictures, I take, etc.

Have 1TB on my iPad Pro as well. Never to young, never too rich, never too much memory. At least I have one of the three covered.
Sorry, for hijacking this thread but what app you use for gps to download the whole world map? I always wanted to do that. Thanks!!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Sorry, for hijacking this thread but what app you use for gps to download the whole world map? I always wanted to do that. Thanks!!

Don't know what HEK is using but maps.me is a great app for this. Whole USA is 5GB and rest of the world is available. I used it on a recent European trip, downloading the entirety of several countries at home on WiFi before I went.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
64GB XR here and nowhere near to filling it!

I only say that I guess I live a minimal lifestyle (or ‘depressing’ as my gf calls it) and there are those who love that they can watch/listen to one of their favourite movies, tv shows & access their personal home video library at any time - so I’m glad the 512GB max is out there for them.

And I expect for those the increasing amount of people who are shooting pro video in 4K (or photos and full res) are very glad the 512 GB model is out there.

Just thinking - for those that scoff at Apple producing Macs with 128 GB Ssds - that really is enough for people with a a personal (home) video and photo library and who email, use the web & who write a few letters from time to time etc. Especially in the age of iCloud.

128GB on a MacBook Pro does feel a little bit much though. On the other hand, I suspect it’s aimed at exec types and those who are doing app development.

Reactions: arkitect

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Got a 256GB XS Max here.

I feel 512GB is brilliant and in my next iPhone I will get a 512GB OR 1TB variant.

Currently with my 256GB, I have used 60GB, I set my Video Recording to 4K@30FPS, I download all my Playlists from Apple Music and Tidal, also like having a few Netflix episodes of my favorite shows and YouTube videos of my favorite content creators downloaded for when traveling, so it helps to have a lot of memory. I have only had my XS Max for about 2.5months, I fully expect to continue filling its memory up.

My music library in particular is forever growing so one day I will need to jump to 512GB.

I cannot wait until there is a Max 1TB variant, THAT would be the sweet spot. I like having my media offline as I am not always near WiFi and 4G coverage can be spotty.

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I had a 256GB XS Max and I think I may have used probably 30GB of the storage. Now I have a 128GB XR and I have about 84GB available. Next time around I think I will probably get a bigger storage iPhone only because I have started taking up photography lately.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I had a 256GB XS Max and I think I may have used probably 30GB of the storage. Now I have a 128GB XR and I have about 84GB available. Next time around I think I will probably get a bigger storage iPhone only because I have started taking up photography lately.

That is one hobby that can get VERY expensive

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
How much do you think 120gb of music is? I'm fairly confident it can be listened to in a much shorter span than a lifetime. :) I'm sure he's listened to it at least once already.
And it definitely depends on bitrate. Lossless takes a good amount of space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.