Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Can we resurrect this thread? Fascinates me. I've always gone for 256Gb and have done so again with my 15 Pro Max, but....Still considering the 512Gb! Currently have 100Gb free so why am I thinking of 512? I guess it maybe because its a new iPhone and has to last me another year so I want to "future proof' it, but I also have 2TB iCloud storage so again, those who have 512Gb, are you again going with this this year?

1695938600440.jpeg

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
I have a lot of photos on mine as well as some large-ish apps and am over 256gb used already. 1TB is way overkill but 512 is a perfect medium for many of us

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I like my original size photo library on the iPhone (110G) and not just in the iCloud. I have about 50GB of Music Library downloaded on the phone. All together I’m at 210GB. I keep iPhones typically 3 years. Hence, needed to future proof storage And got 512GB phone.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
When I had an XS Max I had the 512. I filled it with photos, music, and videos mostly.
Now I have a 14 PM, 1TB and fill it mith even more of the same. Frequently shoot RAW.

Reactions: JimmyG

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Serious question. I would LOVE to use my iPhone more, but right now use less than 60GB and could delete a bunch of stuff and free up even more space easily.

I am wondering what you guys and girls do to use so much storage. I'd like to learn!
I have the 512gb and I use about 90gb on my phone. I really don’t need that much storage space but it’s nice to know I have it lol. 😋

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
With my 512GB 14PM, I had almost 500 apps (I’m an app hoarder). I toned it down with my 512GB 15PM and just like having the storage in case I need it.

klspahr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
Here’s why I bought a 1TB iPhone:

My MacBook Air has only 256GB (wish I had bought bigger but too late for that). I have to keep my large music library on an external drive (I load a play list on my iPhone because that’s the only place I listen to it.) I also keep lots of Docs and photos in the cloud. I like having a second copy of the stuff available without having to connect to an off line backup copy. So with the high capacity iPhone everything is in my pocket. I started with the first iPhone when it came out and never had a failure with any of them. But external drives; I’ve had many fail, including SSDs.

That my 2 cents.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Got 512gb and For me I travel some still so watching media on the 15PM is great. I do have a lot of pics on there but mainly the size as I have a small YT channel and I film everything with my phone in 4K.

I would have done 1TB if I cared about the ProRes video files because I am too lazy to connect an external ssd at this point but might just to try it out.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I have the 1TB 15PM. I have owned an iPhone since the original and everything is stored on the device. I have 10.6GB of storage left 😂!

• Wow
Reactions: StaceyMJ86

qvintus53

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
I took the 512 due to the delivery time. I could get the 512 on the 25th Sep but would have to wait until 1st Nov for the 256.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Put a lot of videos, pictures and music as much as I can since I do not like to depend on iCloud especially when traveling to area where WiFi is not available. I do not like to use public WiFi as it is not safe and cellular for streaming too much to ensure my data usage is not excessive causing throttling or other issues from my cellular provider.

Last edited:

Nordman 52

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
I have the iPhone with 512GB storage because every weekend when I go out, I transfer full-sized photos taken with my Sony A1 into the phone to edit on the go. I also shoot 4K videos during my trips (I travel a lot on weekends in Switzerland, France, Italy or Germany).

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I only have 177GB left.

Movies & TV Shows make up most of it. I have about 8GB of Music.

I hate Streaming.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to announce that I have officially joined the 512 club. I thank you

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Serious question. I would LOVE to use my iPhone more, but right now use less than 60GB and could delete a bunch of stuff and free up even more space easily.

I am wondering what you guys and girls do to use so much storage. I'd like to learn!

IMG_8073.png

Part of the 'applications' is over 70GB of downloaded YouTube videos.

I travel and I live/drive in rural areas that have spotty coverage. I really, really prefer having my photos, videos, and YouTube stuff on-device. When driving, I can have my downloaded YouTube videos playing (mostly interviews, tech discussions, etc, things I can just listen to) even though much of where I need to drive there's little to no cell coverage.

I don't like having to depend on network availability to get to the things I want, when I want them. I doubt I would change my habits even if I were to live/work in an area with constant coverage.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
I keep my entire music library 30 GB on it. As well as bunch of movies 160 GB. Also have entire world map 36 GB downloaded, so all need is gps to navigate not internet.

Also to keep speed as high as possible keep 30 to 40% drive empty. Am at about 300 GB.

I never even think about memory regardless of what I download, movies, pictures, I take, etc.

Have 1TB on my iPad Pro as well. Never to young, never too rich, never too much memory. At least I have one of the three covered.

What app do you use for the entire world map? Didnt even know that was a thing, but sounds super handy.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Got a 256GB XS Max here.

I feel 512GB is brilliant and in my next iPhone I will get a 512GB OR 1TB variant.

Currently with my 256GB, I have used 60GB, I set my Video Recording to 4K@30FPS, I download all my Playlists from Apple Music and Tidal, also like having a few Netflix episodes of my favorite shows and YouTube videos of my favorite content creators downloaded for when traveling, so it helps to have a lot of memory. I have only had my XS Max for about 2.5months, I fully expect to continue filling its memory up.

My music library in particular is forever growing so one day I will need to jump to 512GB.

I cannot wait until there is a Max 1TB variant, THAT would be the sweet spot. I like having my media offline as I am not always near WiFi and 4G coverage can be spotty.

Well here I am with a 512GB 15 Pro Max now (had Xs Max, 11 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max in 256GB), very happy I did it as my usage is still about the same.

I now have my video setting set at 4K@60FPS, I plan on using HEIF Max quite a bit, and as before I download all my Apple Music playlists for offline usage, some downloaded Netflix shows, some downloaded YouTube videos etc…

I am pretty sure the storage will be halfway full in 6 months at least.
IMG_2009.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.