Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
yeah something like that. Again, i get that rbart doesnt want to compete with the big players but I do think yourace can do a little bit more. I love it as a stand alone app. I have tried the big bloated apps like strava, runkepper and workoutdoors.....they are just too much for me as a casual runner. I also dont understand the point of having multiple apps to track stuff. Why use yourace AND strava.....just use strava? i just feel like that defeats the purpose of yourace. Maybe rbart is looking at eventually selling yourace to strava or someone to incorporate into their app. (which I wouldnt blame him)
I normally use Apple Workouts for my walks and runs. Then I have app called HealthFit that upload my workouts automatically to Strava (I know that YouRace can do it also, but only for activities that are recorded with YouRace). I have Strava app only for review my workouts and compare with friends. I use it more like social network. I don't use Strava app for record workouts.

chalmers4three

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
I normally use Apple Workouts for my walks and runs. Then I have app called HealthFit that upload my workouts automatically to Strava (I know that YouRace can do it also, but only for activities that are recorded with YouRace). I have Strava app only for review my workouts and compare with friends. I use it more like social network. I don't use Strava app for record workouts.
I was using runkeeper and it worked fine but I have switched to yourace and just let it load my info to the activity app. Yourace gives me all the detail I need (individual run data, weekly, monthly and yearly stats) and the activity app loads everything to my apple health. I honestly don't NEED personal bests or tracking against them, just thought it would be a cool new feature.

The only other potential obstacle I might run into is in the winter when I am running on the treadmill. I guess I can use runkepper for that because it has a stopwatch function that just monitors time/heart rate and I manually load in the distance once complete.

Just trying to give some general feedback and possible suggestions. :)

Danny1972

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Belgium
Maybe I have not be clear, but for now I recommend to use YouRace with another app like @HealthFit or Strava or other workout platform.
It’s very hard to compete against these amazing platforms for statistics but YouRace is very good on the wrist !
Keep it as it is... simple and clear. i really like this app just for that. And maybe the biggest point, you can make intervals on your phone, so easy. What else do we want :)

Reactions: rbart

Danny1972

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Belgium
yeah something like that. Again, i get that rbart doesnt want to compete with the big players but I do think yourace can do a little bit more. I love it as a stand alone app. I have tried the big bloated apps like strava, runkepper and workoutdoors.....they are just too much for me as a casual runner. I also dont understand the point of having multiple apps to track stuff. Why use yourace AND strava.....just use strava? i just feel like that defeats the purpose of yourace. Maybe rbart is looking at eventually selling yourace to strava or someone to incorporate into their app. (which I wouldnt blame him)
You only need YouRace on your wrist ;-) for me the best app for running. And if you want to see your results on Strava, you can simply export it to strava via YouRace, simple as that :)

Reactions: rbart

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Just to try to be clear:
- I am the only developer, so it's impossible for me to fight against Strava, Training peaks, Nike, Runkeeper ... :D I only fight against me and try to replace Apple workout app
- at the beginning, I only wanted to do a watch app without iOS app and use Apple fitness, Healthfit or other app to see my workoutts. Then, I have done a minimalistic companion app. Then I have improved to something more complete ...
- I have always focused on privacy, nothing goes out of your watch and your iPhone except if you upload to Strava. I will never do a social app with a server that collects user data.
- I will probably add more features in the future. I think some basic statistics is always feasible, but when we enter statistics domain, there is always something to add ...
- I will probably try to add the feature of "pacer" runs for people who to beat their records (like in apple app). I think I know have most components in place since I have added the routes features

I am always happy to have feedbacks, ideas. Sometimes, it's very straightforward to add and it's a pleasure for me to have happy customers. You just have to keep in mind this app is just a hobby for me. I am not Apple, I am not Strava ...
I am alone (with the help of my son for the web site)
I just try to do my best !

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The only feature I’d like to make it fully functional (for me) is treadmill calibration. Even though my calibrated Garmin never gets my treadmill mileage right, it gives me the option at the end of a treadmill run to save the distance the treadmill reported.

Not sure how difficult that would be to implement.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Unfortunately I don’t practice treadmill running, so it’s hard to develop and test.
I could add walking, cycling … but I have to rework a part of the app, add a lot of new metrics, new screens…
For the moment it’s only outdoor running …

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Unfortunately I don’t practice treadmill running, so it’s hard to develop and test.
I could add walking, cycling … but I have to rework a part of the app, add a lot of new metrics, new screens…
For the moment it’s only outdoor running …
I will definitely not adding cycling, but walking can be nice addition after you add map navigation 👍.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
YouRace 4.0.0 is going to Test Flight beta testers with a lot of new features and improvements:

This version requires iOS17 and watchOS10
It doesn't support anymore older OS and Apple Watch Series 3

What's new:
- new UI for iOS and watch app
- mapping feature: import GPX routes or re-use a previous workout. Routes are synced to the watch. You can select a route to follow on the watch. Maps requires internet connection (directly from the LTE watch or with your paired iPhone). Always ON display support.
- enable a third screen wit map view on the watch (see in settings)
- duplicate a training plan by swiping it to the right
- iCloud sync for training plans and routes

I hope receiving some feedbacks from beta testers !
Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 15 Pro - 2023-10-14 at 18.40.49.png Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 15 Pro - 2023-10-14 at 18.42.00.png Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Series 9 (45mm) - 2023-10-14 at 18.43.05.png Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Series 9 (45mm) - 2023-10-14 at 18.43.32.png Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Series 9 (45mm) - 2023-10-14 at 18.43.47.png

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Today, I have pushed to TestFlight a kind of release candidate version of YouRace 4
A lot of things have been changed under the hood (iCloud sync, latest OS optimizations, stability fixes… )
I hope this test phase will be short and the release date soon !

Psdn

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2021
Sounds good - I’ll give it a run tomorrow 🏃🏽
Did you see my mail regarding the rewards? Any other app gives a ”reward” for every other 5k, 10k and so on…

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I think I have answered your mail for rewards.
Honnestly, I have no idea ... Apple has probably changed something, but I haven't found it in documentation.
You mean other 3rd party running app continue to give rewards ?

Psdn

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2021
I think I have answered your mail for rewards.
Honnestly, I have no idea ... Apple has probably changed something, but I haven't found it in documentation.
You mean other 3rd party running app continue to give rewards ?
Yes, other apps gives you credit for different runs. The built in app gives credit for every 5, 10 k ans so on..

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
YouRace V4 is now available for every one the App Store !

I hope you will enjoy the new features :
- maps, GPX files management, route followup
- new UI

Remember that maps rely on Apple Market and requires internet connection (for the moment) on the watch. It's transparent for cellular watches, for wifi watches, you need to bring your iPhone.
I hope apple will unleash offline maps on Apple Watch (like the did on iPhone) in the future !

The map feature is basic for the moment, I will improve it progressively !

Have great runs with YouRace !!

chalmers4three

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
IMG_2239.jpeg
Quick question. Why are the gps, pedometer and actual distances of my run so different? Does this have to do with the “gps smoothing” option? I’m sure it’s not the app and is probably the sensors on the watch but am I selling myself sort on my runs? Am I actually running farther?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Your watch probably needs to be calibrated
The « normal » distance is the Apple one.
A mix between pedometer, gps …
GPS distance depends a lot of the track shape
Gps smoothing is just useful to have a cleaner map for old watches that had more glitches. It’s not very useful for series 6 and upper

chalmers4three

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Your watch probably needs to be calibrated
The « normal » distance is the Apple one.
A mix between pedometer, gps …
GPS distance depends a lot of the track shape
Gps smoothing is just useful to have a cleaner map for old watches that had more glitches. It’s not very useful for series 6 and upper

good info. thx

Last edited:

chalmers4three

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
so on my run last night i got the "no GPS data" message. a couple weird things:

1) nothing changed from the day before when I had GPS data on my run. no software updated and no change to settings.
2) my activity app shows the GPS data from the YouRace data import but it is not in the YouRace app

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Try to reload workout from YouRace, swipe to the right, it will refresh it !

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
YouRace 4.0.1 is available for every one with bug fixes in target heartrate selection and GPS tracking not always imported.
Enjoy !

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Release 4.0.2 has entered beta test in TestFlight.
Some interesting news regarding intervals:
- now, by default you display the repeat number instead of the segment number. For example, if you plan 5x 60"W-60"R, you have 1/5 for the first 60W-60R and so on ... It avoids complex calculation when your brain has no blood anymore :D
- for each TIME interval, you can set a sound/haptic reminder 3 secs before the end of the interval
- 2 new metrics for interval plans: you can have the remaining time/distance for the current segment.

The rest is UI bug fixes due to some ugly regressions in watchOS10 (thanks a lot Apple !)

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Finally I decided to try 4.0.1 version of YouRace after long time.
I have few quick notes:
- If I understand it correct, I have only 2 screens - normal and interval between I can switch. 3rd screen is map. It would be great if I can configure more screens.
- There are only 4 lines main lines on main screen. It would be very nice to add more lines - especially with AW Ultra. I can have more lines in stock Workout app.
- I can run by imported route, but I didn't find option to set running distance goal like on Workout app.
- There is no option for start workout with action button (without countdown) like on Workout app (I very used to it).

I will provide more feedback after my run today.

Last edited:

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Thanks for your feedback
You are right have 2 data screens + Map.
You can configure 2 sets of data screens, one for normal training and one for races.
So I think it gives a good flexibility without going to too much screens.
For the moment, on each screen, you have 4 big lines of data + 2 smaller ones at the bottom.
So you display more data at once than with Apple stock app.
But you are right, maybe for Ultra users I can add the possibility of an "Ultra theme" with more data.
I am a bit afraid of the readability ...

To set a distance goal, you need to use the race mode, it's useful to calculate ETA.
I don't really see the point to set a distance goal for a normal running session or interval training.
I know that Apple app can do that, with a goal of distance, calories ... but I don't think it's very common in runner's world to use this kind of activity.
I try to keep the app as simple as possible. It's always possible to pack more and more features, but it's an UI nightmare on an AW and my initial idea was to have some differences with the excellent (but too complex for most people and a bit nerd in the UI) WOD.

You can disable the countdown for races and start with the action button. But I know there are some people who request the same behavior as Apple app.
I am trying to do that, but it's very complex with public workout API. I suspect Apple to have some hidden features (or missing documentation).
To initialize the heart sensor, you need to start a workout builder, and once it's started, the start time is set ... there's no easy way to reproduce what they have done ...
But I am working on that ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.