Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eudell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Just added to the App Store, and IMO this one looks promising.

Free for a limited time, too (regularly priced $7).

Despite having to restore my iPhone once every 3 app installations, I'm about to try this out now. Wondering if anyone else has yet taken the plunge?

/e.

iTunes Link: [app]Air Sharing[/app]

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I was just about to post it. Won't try it until I get home from work. I hope this is the one that will do the trick well and for free.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
Does this require a wire to transfer files? it says mount your iphone as a wireless device, meaning?

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
wow great find and THANKS for sharing.
an $8 app for free, sweet.

keep em coming.:)

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Lots of devs are doing it to get into the "Top Paid Apps " list once the promotion ends.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
This app is awesome!!! Works exactly like it should so far - no problems whatsoever. Transferring files is so quick it's unbelievable!

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Sweet!

So I purchased FOLDERS a week ago and was disappointed - buggy and just not what I expected so I was about to buy FILES but this came to my attention in my RSS feeds and I got it and love it! It is almost like for every crappy app I buy I get one to replace it for free and that really works!

I like to ability to pinch on the files list and make it smaller and showing less details - works great for a large list of files.
Also to browse to previous folders with the drop down!!! NICE

If the Developer happens to come across the forum the only thing I would add is the ability to password protect certain Folders, not just the whole app.
Or, to be able to intentionally hide Folders with a password (ultimately the same as password protecting individual Folders).

I would even donate it those features came along!!e

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Thanks for the heads up. I already purchased and use Datacase and it works well, although it's a bit ugly. I'll give this app a try since it's free

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
thanks for posting this. i was gonna buy mobile finder until i saw this. thanks for saving me some money.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Apple fixed that, free downloads count don't carry over to the paid downloads count.

Well if that's correct then it's great news. They didn't correct it retroactively though...a quick glance at top paid shows several apps that used to be free.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I haven't had the real need for datacase yet but I'll pick this up and have a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
I dont know which IP address to put or where to get the IP address.. Any help please?

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
I dont know which IP address to put or where to get the IP address.. Any help please?

If you click the ? in the lower left in Air Sharing it has some pretty good documentation. It also shows your phone's IP on the bottom part of the main screen. You will need to put the port number 8080 after the address like

http://192.168.0.10:8080 via finder (Go -> connect to server) or safari to browse

You do need a wireless network. I don't think Apple allows any access to the USB connection when the iPhone is connected to your computer

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
If you click the ? in the lower left in Air Sharing it has some pretty good documentation. It also shows your phone's IP on the bottom part of the main screen. You will need to put the port number 8080 after the address like

http://192.168.0.10:8080 via finder (Go -> connect to server) or safari to browse

You do need a wireless network. I don't think Apple allows any access to the USB connection when the iPhone is connected to your computer

i didnt even notice the IP there. Thanks..

I am also running Vista with an ethernet broadband internet connection. No wifi, so will i still be able to use this app?

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
i didnt even notice the IP there. Thanks..

I am also running Vista with an ethernet broadband internet connection. No wifi, so will i still be able to use this app?

Do you have a wireless card in your computer? If you do, you might be able to create an Ad-hoc wireless network that the phone could connect to. I've never done that on Vista, so I'm not much help there.

I'm fairly sure you need wireless to transfer anything to the iPhone unless it's through iTunes

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Crashes the app when I try to copy files from my Mac. Or just disconnects the connection. Or The Mac gives a copy error. Or...

Deleted.

eudell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Bonjour

Anyone know how to connect using Bonjour?

I can connect using the IP address, but can't seem to figure out the Bonjour option.

When I type in the .local address, my Mac indicates its unreachable. Do I have to somehow "enable" Bonjour?

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks, and glad to see that this heads-up was worth it for most.

/e.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
This "two week trial" might just be an expansive beta program if it keeps crashing. I haven't copied anything yet myself

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
This app works great for me! I would like to know how to use the Bonjour option as well because I can't seem to figure it out either.

As far as I can tell, Air Sharing is a WebDAV server - so you have to connect to it anytime you want to copy/read files. The Bonjour option just gives the device name instead of the IP address. To contrast with Datacase, it supports an AFP connection, so if you are on your Mac and open Datacase on the iPhone (on the same wireless network) the iPhone shows up in the finder automatically.

I don't know how other file-copying iPhone apps work, but I don't immediately see a way for Air Sharing to automatically mount. I don't work for Datacase, I've only used it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.