Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
so can you wirelessly put ANY kind of file on here, even if I just want it on the phone for storage purposes?

If so, thats pretty cool that you can finally use the iphone as a portable hard drive.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
OK, a few questions for the experts. :)

1) I have a bunch of jpg's in my public folder, it looks like it should have thumbnails to the left, but they're not images, just icons, can you set the folders to show actual TN's of the pictures?

2) When I open up a file to let's say view a jpg, and I see the up and down arrows, it sure seems like I should be able to use them to scroll to another picture/file in that folder, but when I hit them, no response. Can those arrows be used, or set, to index/scroll through the pictures/files in that folder?

3) Somewhat related to the above, is there a way to scroll through the pictures in a folder much like you do with normal iphone picture scrolling, using the touch screen to scroll/wipe to the next or previous picture?

4) Is there a way to lets say, take a picture from the airshare folder on my phone and get it into my iphone photo library, either the camera roll or other photo folder, or can that only be done via itunes?

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

yoAlex

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.
OK, a few questions for the experts. :)

1) I have a bunch of jpg's in my public folder, it looks like it should have thumbnails to the left, but they're not images, just icons, can you set the folders to show actual TN's of the pictures?

2) When I open up a file to let's say view a jpg, and I see the up and down arrows, it sure seems like I should be able to use them to scroll to another picture/file in that folder, but when I hit them, no response. Can those arrows be used, or set, to index/scroll through the pictures/files in that folder?

3) Somewhat related to the above, is there a way to scroll through the pictures in a folder much like you do with normal iphone picture scrolling, using the touch screen to scroll/wipe to the next or previous picture?

4) Is there a way to lets say, take a picture from the airshare folder on my phone and get it into my iphone photo library, either the camera roll or other photo folder, or can that only be done via itunes?

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

1) Just and idea - you should redo your folders into something more "logical" like PHOTOS, MUSIC, DOCUMENTS, etc ... instead of the default Public folder. You create folders on your computer, within the Air Sharing "frame/window" when connected.

Yes - they are just icons, not a thumbnail image of the actual jpeg

2) Yeah, arrows don't do much of anything ... it sort of shifts the image up and down ... imo, no biggie

3) I haven't found a scroll feature ... not sure if this is feasible since this is a data storage app and not an image viewer ... but maybe in a possible update?

4) Yeah, I think you can only work with the Camera Roll folder through iTunes ... seems Apple keeps a lot of their folders and such off limits to developes

apockalipse

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Windows Connection Issues

If you are having issues connecting Air Share with Windows, try installing the windows web folder update. The url is listed in the Air Sharing connection directions under the windows section. Prior to the update I was getting the "invalid folder" error on 2 different computers when I tried to connect via IP Address. I installed the web folder updates from MS, closed out and restarted windows explorer and it connected right away.

The iPhone shows up like an additional drive in explorer but you can only connect to it when Air Sharing is running on the iPhone. You manage/edit files and folders via explorer on your PC like any other drive/folder.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
If you are having issues connecting Air Share with Windows, try installing the windows web folder update. The url is listed in the Air Sharing connection directions under the windows section. Prior to the update I was getting the "invalid folder" error on 2 different computers when I tried to connect via IP Address. I installed the web folder updates from MS, closed out and restarted windows explorer and it connected right away.

The iPhone shows up like an additional drive in explorer but you can only connect to it when Air Sharing is running on the iPhone. You manage/edit files and folders via explorer on your PC like any other drive/folder.

why is it that datacase users do not need the windows web folder update?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Is there a way to password protect the files so they can't even be viewed both on the Mac *AND* on the the device without entering a password?

apockalipse

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
why is it that datacase users do not need the windows web folder update?

I haven't used data case, but my guess is that it is not turning the iPhone into a webDAV server.

Looks like data case on PC uses FTP thru your browser to manage files. The iPhone does not actually show up as a drive within explorer. Like I said, I could be off as I have never used it, but this is what I gather from a quick read.

apockalipse

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Is there a way to password protect the files so they can't even be viewed both on the Mac *AND* on the the device without entering a password?

I think password protecting the whole iPhone is the only way to secure them on the device.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Great app, but some questions:

1. What does 'free space' mean? The amount the app lists isn't the free space on my iPhone or computer.

2. Related question, once you upload your files to the Air Sharing folder, where are the files stored? Is 'free space' an individual server amount hosted by the Air Sharing app?

EDIT: Figured out that the files are stored on my phone, but I still confused about the 'free space' amount.

EDIT 2: Actually, never mind about that. I'm not sure if files are stored directly on the iPhone.

3. No one can access your Air Sharing folder without your individual IP address right?

Thanks.

apockalipse

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Great app, but some questions:

1. What does 'free space' mean? The amount the app lists isn't the free space on my iPhone or computer.

2. Related question, once you upload your files to the Air Sharing folder, where are the files stored? Is 'free space' an individual server amount hosted by the Air Sharing app?

EDIT: Figured out that the files are stored on my phone, but I still confused about the 'free space' amount.

EDIT 2: Actually, never mind about that. I'm not sure if files are stored directly on the iPhone.

3. No one can access your Air Sharing folder without your individual IP address right?

Thanks.

Free space should be the amount of empty room left on your iPhone. It is on mine.

The files you add to air sharing are stored directly on the phone, they can be viewed (and only viewed) anytime on the phone itself or by activating air sharing on the phone and putting the IP Address into a computer's browser that is on the same wifi network.

They would need the IP Address to view the files, but if they are sensitive personal files I would use the Air Sharing password protect. Also keep in mind even using Air Sharing password protect the files could still be directly viewed on the phone if the phone itself is not password protected and someone got a hold of it.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Air Sharing did not work for me with Windows Vista

I was able to connect my iphone 3g to my vista pc using their instructions (which was to map a network drive). However, after only a few minutes of being connected or when switch air sharing directories via windows explorer on my pc, windows explorer would completely lock up. Once locked up, i could not bring up task manager or anything. i've been using vista for almost a year, and i've never ever had an app or process dork my pc so much that i couldn't access task manager. In any case, the only way to fix the issue was to reboot the pc. I tried over 10 times, and each time i got the same result, a forced reboot. In short, air sharing was un-useable for me. this was with the current 1.0.1 version of air sharing in which they claim improved connectivity with vista. If this is their idea of "improved" i would have hated to see/experience the 1.0 version of connecting to vista.

it's a shame because i really preferred air sharings UI over datacase, but looks like i will have to stick with datacase.

in any case, i would interested to hear if any other vista ultimate users had the same issues with air sharing as i did

thisisricardo

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Please help me I am so frustrated trying to make this thing work. after i choose the drive letter and i put the http:// and the ip address in "Folder:" when i press enter or finish, it says windows cannot access the thing. im using windows vista, i downloaded the patch that you all were talking about, and both my iphone and my computer are connected to the same wireless connection. any suggestions will be appreciated.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Please help me I am so frustrated trying to make this thing work. after i choose the drive letter and i put the http:// and the ip address in "Folder:" when i press enter or finish, it says windows cannot access the thing. im using windows vista, i downloaded the patch that you all were talking about, and both my iphone and my computer are connected to the same wireless connection. any suggestions will be appreciated.

do this:

http://ip.address.goes.here:8080/

note the last "/"

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
I was able to connect my iphone 3g to my vista pc using their instructions (which was to map a network drive). However, after only a few minutes of being connected or when switch air sharing directories via windows explorer on my pc, windows explorer would completely lock up. Once locked up, i could not bring up task manager or anything. i've been using vista for almost a year, and i've never ever had an app or process dork my pc so much that i couldn't access task manager. In any case, the only way to fix the issue was to reboot the pc. I tried over 10 times, and each time i got the same result, a forced reboot. In short, air sharing was un-useable for me. this was with the current 1.0.1 version of air sharing in which they claim improved connectivity with vista. If this is their idea of "improved" i would have hated to see/experience the 1.0 version of connecting to vista.

it's a shame because i really preferred air sharings UI over datacase, but looks like i will have to stick with datacase.

in any case, i would interested to hear if any other vista ultimate users had the same issues with air sharing as i did

Looks like the new release fixes support for Vista.

DS28

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I installed this last night, and about an hour later the dreaded "self-assigned IP address" issue began with AirPort. (Never happened to me before). I've been unable to connect to my router since then and am still browsing through various fixes.

Is there a chance this is somehow related, or just a bad coincidence?

13" 2.4ghz macbook, 10.5.5

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Looks like the new release fixes support for Vista.

If you read my post, you will see that i was using the latest version of air sharing, the one where they claim improved connectivity with vista. that is not the case. as i mentioned i can connect but for a short period of time before the connection locks up windows explorer on my pc and forces me to reboot the pc.

they need to implement ftp connectivity like datacase offers, and then air sharing would no doubt be the top file transfer program of the bunch out there

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
I just set up my Air Share (had downloaded it but not used it). I think it does exactly what it is supposed to and so far have been able to set it up as a mapped drive in Windows XP, locate via a web browser, and it appears under the harddrive on my Mac Mini.

I set my folder up on the Mac, but also changed some on my PC. I configured them as Work, Home, 2, 3, 4, etc. Basically each is a global category. Under each one I have sub categories and then I put the necessary files in there.

My son's folder has his game schedule, volunteer schedule, some home work items, and some pictures. I can quickly access the files at a moments notice.

The files can only be accessed on the phone if the phone has the app running.

I would think they would make a way to email the files as that would be helpful if you wanted to share or give someone say a copy of the game schedule etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.