Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Ehh forget it. Good experiment in frustration. Good thing I have DataCase which actually WORKS. :)

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
:D Wireless router is Needed :D

No, a wireless router is not needed if your Mac (Or PC) has a built in Airport.

You can just create a wireless ad-hoc network (1: from network preferences say you want to share your computer via the airport, 2: turn Airport on airport and 3:,turn on file haring +/- internet sharing) and you can then mount the iPhone and a external drive just following the instructions included with the App.

I am using it like this until I get around to retting a proper router.

The App is great though it did crash when I tried to copy a 100 MB file, though a 30MB seemed to copy OK.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Ehh forget it. Good experiment in frustration. Good thing I have DataCase which actually WORKS. :)

Umm. I'm not sure why people are having trouble. I down loaded the App, and mounted it via finder>go>external disks, the disk appeared on my desk top.

(I then made an alias which I left on the desk top, now as long as the phone is on and in range click on it and works great.)

yoAlex

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.
FYI - the developer's web site has a VERY GOOD support forum where he, Dave, actively is giving advice and troubleshooting ... highly recommend checking it out, especially for Bonjour probs since Apple is buggy with phone names like Alex's iPhone ... the apostrophe throws the Bonjour address off ... anyways, check it out at >>> http://www.avatron.com/support/list.php?3

nivam

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
for windows xp users:

opens windows explorer. Select from menu Tools-> Map Network Drive...

Now on the new window select the drive letter you want to assign to the new (network) mapped drive and in the "Folder:" field type:

http://192.168.x.x:8080/Public

you have to replace the 192.168.x.x address with your own.

Thats it. Select "Reconnect at logon" so you dont have to do that every time your power on your pc, and then press Finish.

now you will have the share folder appear in windows explorer as a common drive

Regards
Nikos

mac-I-bear

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
wake forest NC
should i create a port through the firewall or how do u suggest i deal with the firewall

just got to work and air sharing cannot find the network !!
as my boss says "all of you that embrace bleeding edge technology... bleed" - it looked GREAT yesterday - it does not today - no i understand why is free for the first TWO weeks - but in general, i usually do not have the windows fire wall ON, it causes more problems than help - sorry for not being helpful :-(

Well, after spending a couple of hours, i think i got something going - STEP ZERO turn off windows firewall under control panel - STEP ONE power off (and wait a couple of min) and then power on the iphone, launch air sharing, if you do not get network connection repeate step one if you do get connectivity air sharing goes into the screen where it displays the folders in the iphone ( Public and Samples) - STEP TWO leave the iphone alone on the folders screen and log into your router, i use firefox3, routers have a screen where all the clients logged into the router are listed, the list shows the assigned IP addresses and the name of the device among some other info, well the name of my phone is "iphone-4". when i am in itunes that name of my phone is my name which happens to have FOUR letters could be a coincidens but the fact here is that the router identifies my iphone as "iphone-4" - log off the router - STEP THREE follow the procedure for "add a network place" and in the address window I used "http://iphone-4.local:8080" and after about 30 seconds the wizard found the iphone and was able to finish the procedure and the icon for the iphone appeared on the network places.
i think the critical part is to find out how the router sees your phone so you can use the bonjour syntax because every single day the iphone will be assigned a different IP address by the router, i assume that different router mfgs and their firmwares handle device naming in different ways

i still cannot get it talk to my macbook pro though

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Air Sharing works nicely. Which one of these programs allows you to lock certain folders? With Air Sharing you can't lock anything on your iphone, but you can add an overall password for all folders for access on the computer..right?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
FYI, Air Sharing now works for me with 2.1, so if you were having trouble before, might want to try it again.

pito189

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
(On the negative side: With AS, I managed to transer a 350MB pdf file (which has not succeeded with any other application, but when I tried to open it in AS, the iPhone just locked up and had to be rebooted. I guess that was just what I deserved... With 128 MB of RAM, the iPhone cant handle a file that big)

Yeah I have run into it having trouble with big files. My phone freezes and requires a manual reboot on a 42.5 MB pdf.

Still it's perfect for me to always have my portfolio with me!:D

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Air Sharing 1.0

Mod note: threads merged.

This is freakin' sweet! :eek:

http://www.avatron.com/products

From DaringFireball.net

Air Sharing is a terrific utility for the iPhone. It uses Bonjour networking to run a WebDAV file server. You mount the server as a volume in the Finder (or on Windows or Linux), and you can send files back and forth to your iPhone. On the iPhone, it provides file viewers/players for a slew of common formats, such as iWork, Safari web archives, PDF, RTF, movies, audio, and images.

The regular price is $7, but the introductory price is free. (Via Michael Tsai.)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007

From DaringFireball.net

Air Sharing is a terrific utility for the iPhone. It uses Bonjour networking to run a WebDAV file server. You mount the server as a volume in the Finder (or on Windows or Linux), and you can send files back and forth to your iPhone. On the iPhone, it provides file viewers/players for a slew of common formats, such as iWork, Safari web archives, PDF, RTF, movies, audio, and images.

The regular price is $7, but the introductory price is free. (Via Michael Tsai.)

Late reaction boy strikes again.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Well, I just found out about it. I did a search on here and didn't find anything. So for those who have not seen this, here you go. :D

Hehe, I've been there too.

I got it earlier this week. Very nice app for sure. I made sure to get it while it was free.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I've been toying with this since yesterday and It is a great App. I highly reccommend it, get it fast since the introductory rate (free) ends 2 weeks from September 9th.

yoAlex

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
SoCal - The O.C.

From DaringFireball.net

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/558868/

rsk137

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Do you have to pay for it in order to get the updates in the future?

Whether you buy the app for $6.99 or pick it up for free, the updates will be free.

Hit the link to bring up the app description. They say that the update is going to be free so we can only assume that future ones will be also. :)

Link (opens iTunes)

ASchul89

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Is there any way to set it to sync with a particular folder on your HD? I tried automator but it doesn't seem to work.

mikeymike88

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
Loving this App. I can connect via the IP address by going to Finder -->Go --> Connect To Server and it works perfectly.

But I cannot figure out what to do to use Bonjour name? Do I go to Finder --Go --> Connect To Sercer and use Bonjour name instead? When I do I get an error. Is there something on my Macbook I need to enable?

I understand the Bonjour service is supposed to be running as default?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

If the name of your iphone has an apostrophe in it, it will not work. Rename it so that it doesn't have an apostrophe. You can do this by clicking on the name of your iphone in itunes when it is docked. So let's say the name was "John Doe's iPhone", rename it to something like "Johns iPhone". The enter in http://johns-iphone.local:8080 under "Connect to Server". That should make it work. I was having the same problem and that fixed it. Hope I could help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.