Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F27

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
Interesting it’s put in “developer tools”, Apple trying to hide it from the top ten lists 😂 Number 1 at the moment in its category.

Apple knew this was the main reason people wanted to be able to install apps outside of the App Store, so to kills its appeal they gave people the one thing they actually wanted.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
It works well enough. It’s very surreal to be able to download it through the App Store, though; I remember having to use AltServer on a MacBook, its flaky connectivity at times. As a teenager, I thought that was so cool.

Now, as I’m a few months away from turning 25, I get to relive some childhood memories with Pokémon in a (partially-ethical?) way without circumventing the App Store. So cool.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
Y’all check out my iPhone 15 playing Super Mario Land on iGBA emulator! It’s awesome!😎

Attachments

• IMG_0553.png
    IMG_0553.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Love
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Where can you get the games for this emulator and how do you store/load them from your phone?

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Cool for people who want to play the GB/GBC/GBA games on the go without the original hardware. Also regarding the ROMS, if you rip ROMS from the games you physically own it's perfectly legal to play them. Of course Nintendo would disagree but they're not the law and frankly should be sued for some of the stuff they've done to the retro gaming community.
Yeah cause god forbid a company tries to protect their property.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Forever though?

I mean .. I don’t think anyone is really being harmed by emulating some games from 30+ years ago

For me, a company like Nintendo should be forced to “do something” with old IP or eventually they shouldn’t get any protection for it anymore.
I really wish there was a concept of “the commons” after X number of years when it comes to purely digital content. I don’t see a revenue stream still alive for Pokémon Red for the Gameboy, why not just allow people to play it? It’s been 20+ years…

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
God forbid people that paid for the physical games 15+ years ago can't play it as they wish? 🤔🤔
If you paid for a physical game 15 years ago that you still want to play today, I’m sure you still have the console to play it on from 15 years ago. I’ve bought many apps from the App Store years ago that I don’t have access to anymore, maybe apple should do something about that as well.

Apple is just as overprotective with their properties so this place should be the last place to be whining about a company protecting their property.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I really wish there was a concept of “the commons” after X number of years when it comes to purely digital content. I don’t see a revenue stream still alive for Pokémon Red for the Gameboy, why not just allow people to play it? It’s been 20+ years…
Yeah, the ol 'abandonware' concept. It's a good idea but unfortunately most companies seem to not think so.

And with products like this there's still hope for some revenue.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yeah, the ol 'abandonware' concept. It's a good idea but unfortunately most companies seem to not think so.

And with products like this there's still hope for some revenue.
This is just my personal opinion, obviously not law, but once you put a concept out into society I really don’t think you should be able to collect rents on it decades down the road.

Nothing stops a new version from coming out, but what non-capitalism related reason exists to justify preventing people from using an untouched product 15+ years down the road?

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
This feels like Apple nerfing any impact Riley may have with his AltStore offerings … by approving a clone of his own app

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
I wonder how fast Nintendo is going to issue a DMCA complaint.. I think.. 3 days.
It does not use any of the Nintendo licensed code or parts and as such is not valid target for DMCA claim?

You can run homebrew un-copyrighted ROMs just fine. Should this be DMCA claimable then I guess all video players (VLC) should be too by that logic, because you can play copyrighted content on them.

Reactions: DestructoTim

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Forever though?

I mean .. I don’t think anyone is really being harmed by emulating some games from 30+ years ago

For me, a company like Nintendo should be forced to “do something” with old IP or eventually they shouldn’t get any protection for it anymore.
Can’t you play them on a switch and a subscription to Nintendo online?

• Haha
Reactions: Mahieu

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
Emulators are fun, but at the end of the day, they are only emulators. They are emulating the real thing. They aren't the real thing. My actual Gameboy may not have a back light. It might not have a billion stolen games pre-loaded on it. It still takes actual batteries... but it's so much more fun. There is an intangible joy that comes from playing Pokemon Red, or some other great Game boy game authentically that just isn't there any other way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.