Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Gameboy ROMs on iCloud Drive may lead to copyright problems. Hope Apple will not lock AppleIDs of users because of this.
There are reports of users losing their complete access to their AppleID because of a lock, may this be a reason?
It should go without saying that storing “controversial“ material online is risky. Dunno why someone wants to put their ROMs on icloud drive When Apple loves to copyright someone out of business.

tmarsden

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2021
Personally I’ve never found phone emulators to be that good of an experience, iPad might be a different story though. You pretty much have to pair a controller because virtual controls are awful.

I’ve always found the best experience to be a raspberry pi, laptop/PC, or one of those $60 Chinese handhelds that come preloaded with more games than you could play through in a lifetime 😂

Cchase88754321

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
Removed from AppStore, if gotten before hand you can redownload it. Some people are saying it was possibly due to a DCMA

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
The question is why it got removed. Is it because of mother Nintendo or a legal issue or something else? Will we see any other emulator ?

Probably because it was never meant to be approved in the first place and it slipped past apple's gatekeeping.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Probably because it was never meant to be approved in the first place and it slipped past apple's gatekeeping.
"Slipped past Apple's gatekeeping"??? This wasn't an emulator hidden behind a files-type app (which has been done before), this was a blatant emulator app. It will be interesting to hear Apple explain why it was pulled.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
"Slipped past Apple's gatekeeping"??? This wasn't an emulator hidden behind a files-type app (which has been done before), this was a blatant emulator app. It will be interesting to hear Apple explain why it was pulled.

It's not hard to believe, the process (supposedly) is still being done by people. And people make mistakes (and/or dgaf much of the time)

DestructoTim

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
It should go without saying that storing “controversial“ material online is risky. Dunno why someone wants to put their ROMs on icloud drive When Apple loves to copyright someone out of business.
Apple can’t even see your ROMs if you simply enable “Advanced Data Protection for iCloud”. It end to end encrypts everything you put on iCloud Drive. Apple doesn’t have the encryption keys. Even if they were lying, they ain’t about to get sued for millions or billions in a class action lawsuit over some nerd’s ROMs.

DestructoTim

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
The licence for Delta explicitly states that it is not to be distributed via the App Store without prior approval, so you might be right. That condition was added a little over a week ago.
There is a new story up on The Verge. Sounds like that is what happened. The developer was not happy with Apple for approving it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
There is a new story up on The Verge. Sounds like that is what happened. The developer was not happy with Apple for approving it.

I really wonder what Riley's plan is for Delta outside the EU

Alt Store is never going to be mainstream viable anywhere other than the EU (at least as far as we know for now).
It's too annoying and too much hassle to do the AltStore thing in regions where 3rd party App Stores aren't "allowed" by Apple

He's really kneecapping his market potential if he's only going to have Delta on AltStore

Reactions: Shirasaki

Allwordzaremadeup

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2022
The licence for Delta explicitly states that it is not to be distributed via the App Store without prior approval, so you might be right. That condition was added a little over a week ago.
I'm hoping this wasn't yanked by apple because it was never supposed to be approved. Hoping Riley releases his Delta app to the appstore. Happy to at least have this in the meantime.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Cool for people who want to play the GB/GBC/GBA games on the go without the original hardware. Also regarding the ROMS, if you rip ROMS from the games you physically own it's perfectly legal to play them. Of course Nintendo would disagree but they're not the law and frankly should be sued for some of the stuff they've done to the retro gaming community.

Rip for yourself, not to share. Just to clarify. It's like copying a CD or MP3 for personal use.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
In case if there’s anything bad going on behind the scenes?
If you don’t intent to run GBA games on your iPhone iPad anytime soon then sure.
Me I just assume all apps have tracking of some sort baked in so adding one more doesn’t bother me much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.