Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
It does not use any of the Nintendo licensed code or parts and as such is not valid target for DMCA claim?

You can run homebrew un-copyrighted ROMs just fine. Should this be DMCA claimable then I guess all video players (VLC) should be too by that logic, because you can play copyrighted content on them.

Knowing Nintendo, they will try. Since you can actually run copyrighted roms. (I dump all my roms from original cartridges using the Epiloque Operator. (see https://www.epilogue.co/) and then copy them over using iTunes on Windows)

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I really wish there was a concept of “the commons” after X number of years when it comes to purely digital content. I don’t see a revenue stream still alive for Pokémon Red for the Gameboy, why not just allow people to play it? It’s been 20+ years…
Maybe this is the next thing the EU can moan about. They’ve been on a real roll lately with charging cable standards, going after Apple for apps, etc. It’s quite possible they do something like a commons law, as well.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

DestructoTim

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
Well said, Zapski.

I downloaded the app, and then I realized the only way to load roms is via a web browser, which built into the app.

I am NOT putting any user info into a third-party app's web browser.

Here's hoping for a more-legit and official solution, in the future.
This is incorrect information. It is not the only way to load ROMs. The website they have is simply for IP free indie stuff. To load a ROM, simply add it to your phone from any typical source (thumb drive, laptop, web, cloud provider). Go to whatever location you saved it to on your phone, and simply click the ROM. It will automatically add the ROM to your library within the emulator and it is now ready to play.

For those talking about ads, I personally use AdGuard which seems to have blocked all in app ads (and probably puts a stop to a lot of the apps tracking.). Never even knew it had ads until I read of users experiencing them on this site. If you are experiencing ads, it is probably best to use some kind of data and privacy protection on your phone, since you never know what is leaking through and from what apps.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I’m not seeing any ADs in the App
Must be getting snuffed out by my blocker

Are some of you not using an AD blocker?

o_O

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Emulators are fun, but at the end of the day, they are only emulators. They are emulating the real thing. They aren't the real thing. My actual Gameboy may not have a back light. It might not have a billion stolen games pre-loaded on it. It still takes actual batteries... but it's so much more fun. There is an intangible joy that comes from playing Pokemon Red, or some other great Game boy game authentically that just isn't there any other way.
Yeah good for stuff that has the hardware still about - Not so good if the hardware is not about or the games are insanely priced like Conkers Bad Fur day for the N64 and even Nintendo dont mind a bit of retro zombie raising as 1000 yr old door is out of reach for most -

I wish I could afford a Robotron machine but I cant and even the emulation now emulates the slowdown on the arcade machine - I can score millions on it and I cant tell the difference......surely this is about choice rather than the old classic "its not the same ifs it not hardware" mantra.....

DestructoTim

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
I installed the app and didn’t run it. Luckily I kept reading until this:

> iGBA appears to be a copy of Riley Testut's open-source GBA4iOS emulator, but with ads that can track users

and immediately deleted the app!

So this guy ripped off someone else work, stuffed with ads and tried to profit? No, thanks!
I am worried about this too, but I have read some mixed things on it and frankly I am not knowledgeable enough to know for myself. Several people have said what you read, but I also heard several people countering that claim saying that the original emulator uses an open-source license version that allows it to be used and changed and create for profit software, by anyone, as long as they follow certain rules.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Having a hoot!

IMG_1026.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Apple$ and klasma

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
Privateering then?🤓
Playing something I physically own, just on the different hardware is "privateering" or "piracy"? Not in my book. I've already paid for the games, I supported the devs. And ironically I can't buy the game again for this different hardware (iPhone in this case) even if I wanted.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
"retrogamers unite"

There I fixed that for you. I can assure you I (unfortunately?) had to pay quite some money for my (now) old games collection back in the day. Definitely did not "freeload" my Gameboy games.
i can assure you I don’t care. Just calling a spade a spade.

Back in the day, one hitters were legal but their “roms” were not. We all knew why shops sold one hitters.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Classic NES Donkey Kong and my knockoff Bluetooth PS controller, and I’m in heaven.

I’ve tried so many workarounds for emulators over the years, I’m ecstatic.

Just need Atari 2600 and NES emus.

PS if anybody is having trouble loading ROMs, just use the files app and add them to the app’s directory. Much easier.

Reactions: hacky

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The fact this app is based off GBA4iOS and is full of ads and tracking makes it not worth getting. Just wait for Delta, it’s way better.

Is there any word that he will be releasing it in the App Store? Last I heard, Delta was slated for a third party App Store and therefore available only in the EU.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Cool for people who want to play the GB/GBC/GBA games on the go without the original hardware. Also regarding the ROMS, if you rip ROMS from the games you physically own it's perfectly legal to play them. Of course Nintendo would disagree but they're not the law and frankly should be sued for some of the stuff they've done to the retro gaming community.
Copyright law is broken for decades or even centuries, but that’s a different discussion entirely. I frankly am just happy to see the emulator being allowed to iOS through “non-sideloading” App Store for the first time. This one is crappy but more can come.

Reactions: hacky

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Gameboy ROMs on iCloud Drive may lead to copyright problems. Hope Apple will not lock AppleIDs of users because of this.
How so?

That would mean Apple routinely monitoring the contents of iCloud drives - but aren't they claiming, they're the privacy company, "Privacy. That's iPhone."?

Oh, wait...
First thing it does is ask for push notification permission. Then it asks for permission to be tracked by 126 (!) entities. Then it shows an ad with a fake button trying to get me to click it. (You know the kind you find on shady download sites).
Yeah, so much for being the "privacy company". 🤣

"But... but... but!", they said, "Apple's monopoly on app distribution protects our privacy. Imagine the privacy ramifications if alternative app stores or sideloading were allowed!"

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.