Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
If she has an iPhone and you have an Android phone then she can iMessage you and you will receive an SMS. You can SMS her and she will receive an iMessage. If you're messaging each other MEMEs, GIFs and videos then this will cost money. Hence why almost everyone in the UK uses WhatsApp.

I will never, ever understand the enormous meal you guys make out of iMessage...😩
I just use Telegram with anyone that's on Android and it solves every problem.

Reactions: gusmula

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Give the Fold a try, it is an amazing piece of hardware. As much as I gush over the Pixel, if there was one device I couldn't live without, it would probably be the Fold.
I concur! I'll probably be a Galaxy Fold user until Samsung stops manufacturing them.

I completely agree. Microsoft in general is not always the best but Windows Mobile as an OS was great.

It looked good, was fast even on poor hardware, and was secure. If they would have spent a little more money and time they could have been viable but they just gave up too soon.
I like the Surface Duo... has excellent hardware, the software leaves more to be desired.

They announced the Surface Neo, which would have been an instant buy for me (at least to try out). I kind of wish Microsoft put its own Windows OS on the Surface Duo.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I concur! I'll probably be a Galaxy Fold user until Samsung stops manufacturing them.

I like the Surface Duo... has excellent hardware, the software leaves more to be desired.

They announced the Surface Neo, which would have been an instant buy for me (at least to try out). I kind of wish Microsoft will put its own Windows OS on the Surface Duo.
I had the last Windows phone produced it was an HP phone with a snapdragon chipset. A quad core that ran really hot. Crappy plastic body but great OLED screen.

I used it until about 6 months after Microsoft announced that they officially dropped support for Windows Phone. So sad.

I thought Windows Mobile UI was unique at the time and I was happy MS didn’t try to copy but doubled down on their own UI language. If they started Windows Mobile now with decent hardware I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
iPhone 5 and 5s support LTE
They support LTE, but not VoLTE, which is needed to be on the 4g network. AT&T posted on their website about which devices would not work, and all iPhone 5 models were on the list of the devices that would not work. I know because I was on a iPhone 5, and Cricket let me know that my iPhone would not work after the 3G shutdown, so they gave me a 2020 iPhone SE for free.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
This was perfectly stated! 🎯 Each product and their respective brands all have their pros and cons. My preference by far is Apple, but the lack of a proper file management system—especially with photos—drives me batsh*t insane!! I have the worst time trying to sort 50k plus of photos because I don’t see them move from the general camera roll to the folder I want them in. I have a crap ton of pics just lumped altogether with no quick access to them. I need this fixed, so if anyone has some good advice or a workaround to share, please let me (us) know. As of now, I’ll let Slither roll continue to grow 🥴

The other thing that slightly annoys me is the lack of risqué gifs that Android and Social Media apps provide. Sometimes Apple can be a bit too PC for me, like I’m Ned Flanders behind the keyboard. That’s just not me.

And group chat with Android users can get somewhat wonky when using links, vids, gifs and the likes button. Honestly, I’d like to see that fixed. But it’s pretty minor to me.

These are the only issues I have with Apple. I highly value my privacy, which is paramoun, and the products like Mr Steve Jobs said, “they just work.” But lawd have mercy, that Photos issue is pretty major right now. Even the Apple chat rep didn’t have an answer for me tonight, who also has the same problem. There’s got to be a solution somewhere!
Agreed. File management on iOS is so bad it seems purposeful which is even more frustrating. I do like the pure chronological organization of Apple Photos and being able to look up using the mapped location but managing files or offloading photos is just the worst experience.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
agree with everything you said...communication is key to any relationship. But the color of the text bubble whether it is blue or green should not matter. The content of the communication should be the focus.
Apple or somebody was evil choosing that harsh green. There's not enough contrast with white text to read green bubble text easily. That may be what annoys people.

I have a daughter who fell in with the wrong crowd at high school: Some of them have the nerve to be on Samsung phones!
They're using Discord to text. I never thought I'd see that happen among teens where we live.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Apple or somebody was evil choosing that harsh green. There's not enough contrast with white text to read green bubble text easily. That may be what annoys people.

I have a daughter who fell in with the wrong crowd at high school: Some of them have the nerve to be on Samsung phones!
They're using Discord to text. I never thought I'd see that happen among teens where we live.
Psychologically speaking, blue is a calming color, so it might have some relevance.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I just recently made the jump to Android but admittingly had a tough time doing so because of iMessage. I tried Airmessage but found it inconsistent and a bit flaky, plus I didn't feel comfortable giving my mac mini full disk and accessibility permissions. My way around this is to use a multitude of messaging apps, such as Whatsapp, Signal, Google messages and FB messenger. It's messy and not as elegant as iMessage, but it works. I'm free from Apple's shackles and now use all Google services along with the various messaging apps. I can freely switch between iPhone and Android whenever I want now, which feels awesome because I like using different devices and there are some really nice Android devices out there. Was tired of being stuck on iPhone, exclusively. Plus Google's services are so much better than Apple's.

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
Ironically, the only thing that keeps me in Apple ecosystem is Apple Watch rings. However "gamificated" this feature is, it makes me excercise more and consistently than Garmin.

iPad is also cool, but I can definitely live without it. iMessage in my case is easily replaced with Telegram.

upd: AirPods Pro are also rad. Every other buds (Galaxy, Pixel, whatever) are utter trash.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Ironically, the only thing that keeps me in Apple ecosystem is Apple Watch rings. However "gamificated" this feature is, it makes me excercise more and consistently than Garmin.

iPad is also cool, but I can definitely live without it. iMessage in my case is easily replaced with Telegram.

upd: AirPods Pro are also rad. Every other buds (Galaxy, Pixel, whatever) are utter trash.

Well, you do get rings in a Galaxy Watch as well. The categories are slightly different, though. It's got steps, active time and calories burned as the rings. It's hard for me to say which I prefer more, as I prefer the Apple Watch move ring to the GW steps ring as the move ring gives me more flexibility on reaching that goal. It's a bit of a bummer when I've had a long bike ride and still my watch insists that I've been lazy. However, the Apple Watch stand ring annoys me to no end. It all too often fails to register that I'm working on my standing desk at the up position and that way I can easily miss two hours in a row as the reminder is also quite a hit or miss. GW's time to move reminder with a tracker where it lets me choose between activities such as 5 torso twists while also counting the reps blows AW's standing ring out of the water when it comes to keeping me less stationary during the workday, not to mention that I've never had any kind of ring anxiety or having to wait for another hour before going to sleep just to close the ring (which was incomplete due to multiple failed standing detections during the day).

What comes to buds, I have to disagree at least when it comes to reliability. I've had two different pairs of AirPods (not the Pro, though) where both of them have had issues with only one bud activating even when I put them both on. That "bud back into case and out again, repeat as many times as needed" dance got really boring when it happened 3 or 4 times out of 10. Different versions of Galaxy Buds have been rock solid in the regard. The AirPods sound somewhat better, but as the vast majority of my listening with earbuds is podcasts, sound quality doesn't matter as much as reliability.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm not sure why you want to exit the ecosystem just because you want to play with a Galaxy Fold. Doesn't seem to be worth it, putting issues in your own relationship just because you want to play with a new gadget.

Or, why not just use both? I use both iPhone and Android. Nobody's telling you to only use one platform. 😅

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Outside of the US though iMessage isn’t a big thing because the number of iPhone users is much lower, so the network effect is much weaker. iPhone vs Android is about 50-50 in the US and about 20-80 in most other countries.

UK is about 50-50 too, but in my experience pretty much everyone still defaults to WhatsApp for group messaging (even when everyone in the group uses iPhones).

Fascinating that iMessage is such an important thing only in the US.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
UK is about 50-50 too, but in my experience pretty much everyone still defaults to WhatsApp for group messaging (even when everyone in the group uses iPhones).

Fascinating that iMessage is such an important thing only in the US.
It is for non tech people who tend to be a lot of iPhone users. My wife, my aunt's and people who care for my Mom in assisted living facility all use iPhones and getting them to use another message app besides the default on the iPhone would be impossible. Add to that air drop and Facetime and the fact it is all integrated into iMessage there is no way any of them would switch.

So iMessage is a pretty big deal here in the US for better or worse.

Reactions: 5105973

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
snip: They announced the Surface Neo, which would have been an instant buy for me (at least to try out). I kind of wish Microsoft put its own Windows OS on the Surface Duo.
a "Neo" device, though not from Microsoft itself, has been hinted at by WindowsCentral crew in their latest podcast.
time stamp 1h 41m 21s to (about a 40 seconds segment)

Surface Duo originally was intended to ship with a version of Windows btw.
Article with illustrations

• Sad
Reactions: gusmula and Ludatyk

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Right, I need closure. What did you do? @2chance1

Another idea, would your Missus use WhatsApp or any other text/chat app? If so, no matter the device you switch to, you'd have nothing to worry about...

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
As someone
a "Neo" device, though not from Microsoft itself, has been hinted at by WindowsCentral crew in their latest podcast.
time stamp 1h 41m 21s to (about a 40 seconds segment)

Surface Duo originally was intended to ship with a version of Windows btw.
Article with illustrations

As someone that had a Windows phone, which was the most appealing and fun for me out of all my devices, I welcome this news. However, if it gets no app support, it’s a dead-in-the-water project. I’ve been down that road before, so I’m not certain if I‘d try it again. Buy maybe! 🤔

• Sad

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
As someone

As someone that had a Windows phone, which was the most appealing and fun for me out of all my devices, I welcome this news. However, if it gets no app support, it’s a dead-in-the-water project. I’ve been down that road before, so I’m not certain if I‘d try it again. Buy maybe! 🤔
IMO, a vast amount of 3rd party app support is not a must for this device since the target market will be for business users and Office is such a vital piece in the business world.

As long as Microsoft supports Neo with full Office suite... that's a big selling point. And then there's Android Subsystem to allow for mobile apps, but I still believe accessing apps is much better via the Phone Link feature (if a user has an Android phone).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Hello friends,

I, like many others, it seems have been curious to wander out of the garden. However, my wife is DEAD SET on iMessage and I can't get her to budge. I've been able to swap almost everything else, or I'm planning to, whether it was hardware or software. Thoughts on how I could complete this change? Standalone apple watch? What do you guys think?
I am a long term Apple User and my husband is an android user. We don't have any issues. We communicate via WhatsApp. He doesn't like tech so he only has his phone and laptop which is actually one of my old Macs. So I've been able to tech my house out will all my Apple devices which he is happy to go along with as he doesn't really care what he uses, apart from his android phone. I have my own iCloud subscription which I use to store my photos taken on my iPhone. However I also back up to google photos and in that way I can share photos of our kids with my husband. I'm the photo and video taker in the house so he doesn't need to share videos with me. So yes it can work when one person is on android and one is on iOS.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Stay iPhone is the best solution.

I'm sorry but nothing compares to iMessage.
Whilst I do agree, OP needs to experiment and find out what works best for them. I'm older now and have just settled with iOS due to convenience, however I went through my experimentation phase with different android devices. You don't know if something will work for you unless you try it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have similar experiences with Android and family members as @Shanghaichica.
I switch back and forth between my iPhones and Android phones.
But if i am going to an event or outing where most of my friends and family are iPhones users I will use my iPhone.
Air droping photos or videos between IOS devices is sooooo much easier than Android phones

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My bad, I suck at clarifying.

Long story short is she basically is forcing me to use iMessage. I was bought into the Kool Aid when I got with her and that spread to her, unfortunately. Not sure how I can even begin that conversation without an argument. (Is that even healthy? That's for another day. Lol)
You know, I wouldn't bother. I don't care what my wife uses amd she isn't partial to anything.
I don't get the draw to iMeassage. It's just a texting app and perhaps is does something like Telegram, i don't even know for sure as I have Telegram but hardly use it....but the end result is the same. You get the messages.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Imessage over whatsapp, cause it is not owned by meta and it does not cripple photos… yes i know there are better ways to share photos, but average users simple send them via messaging app🤷🏿‍♂️

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My biggest argument vs switching to Android is less about the softward side of the ecosystem and more about the hardware side.

When it comes down to it, you can adapt to different softward, pros and cons of each and accept it.

Where I always struggled in the past is the hardware and quality of accessories, mostly the latter. Great example, after 2 years of straight iOS use, I have had a bit of the itch to switch creep in, but then I think about giving up my Magsafe chargers, my Apple Watch Ultra is phenomenal, and AirPod Pros 2 are unmatchable. I could probably be happy on the Pixel or Fold, but after being spoiled by a great supporting cast, it's really tough to ever consider going all in on a switch again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.