Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I never switched but every year just about time when next s galaxy line arrives, i am thinking about switching. Actually i am almost not hooked in ecosystem, i have iphone, mb pro, airpods (not opened yet) and ipad that is for sale.

imessage used to be my main hook but now i guess it is rather psswords in icloud and photos in iclouds than anything else… it almosts look i can easily switch;)

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Happy holiday season everyone. I got a Kindle reader and a Kindlefire HD8 for watching movies. I’m really enjoying not suffering nervous system problems. I’m posting this from my 14 Pro Max and feeling eye and brain strain.

Of course I’ll try iPhone 15. But if the display is still messing my head up I am giving up. I’ll send it back and retire on my current iPhones for whatever I would need iOS for, like my Etsy account and some other stuff I use Apple Pay for.

We are moving as a family onto a messaging app. Possibly WhatsApp even though I absolutely loathe the connection to Meta. But it’s what my husband already uses with his European coworkers when they aren’t using Slack. But we are looking at other options.

I’ve been using my S22 Ultra for a lot. I’m looking into making the move to Android as my main phone by 2024. Unless Apple stops doing whatever the hell it is they’re doing to displays that literally makes me sick. I’m having problems even with their LCD displays. I’m not the only one, either.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Samsung makes it about as easy as possible to replicate the Apple ecosystem. Samsung always has great trade in deals and sales that surpass anything that Apple offers.

You have complete integration with your phone and messages on Samsung tablets and Windows computer. You can even mirror your phone screen on your PC and use Android apps on your phone on your PC.

I suspect that Google is going for similar integration with the Pixel watch and upcoming tablet. Now if Google can work on getting similar functionality that Samsung offers on PC that would be great but Google would rather you use a Chromebook.

Coming from Apple's integration it is a bit like a drug addict coming off the drugs and sobering up using an Android device. The clarity that you don't need Apple's devices to do the same things is refreshing as is the vast hardware choices and customization offered in Android.

I like Apple devices but the 14 line was personally a big let down as was iOS 16. Since I had a locked device I couldn't unlock I went for a Pixel 7 Pro this year. I have a dual platform setup. There are some things like airdrop and Facetime that I will miss from the Apple ecosystem. But for the most part I like the Pixel 7 Pro and Android 13 more than Apple's offerings right now. If Apple still
Happy holiday season everyone. I got a Kindle reader and a Kindlefire HD8 for watching movies. I’m really enjoying not suffering nervous system problems. I’m posting this from my 14 Pro Max and feeling eye and brain strain.

Of course I’ll try iPhone 15. But if the display is still messing my head up I am giving up. I’ll send it back and retire on my current iPhones for whatever I would need iOS for, like my Etsy account and some other stuff I use Apple Pay for.

We are moving as a family onto a messaging app. Possibly WhatsApp even though I absolutely loathe the connection to Meta. But it’s what my husband already uses with his European coworkers when they aren’t using Slack. But we are looking at other options.

I’ve been using my S22 Ultra for a lot. I’m looking into making the move to Android as my main phone by 2024. Unless Apple stops doing whatever the hell it is they’re doing to displays that literally makes me sick. I’m having problems even with their LCD displays. I’m not the only one, either.
You have to do what you have to do.

Health is number one.

I love Apple and I don't have issues with the displays except for the mini led so I count myself lucky.

That being said for reasons I won't go into again I don't have an iPhone anymore. Now I am using a Pixel 7 Pro and Samsung Galaxy s22 plus.

It is not easy moving away from Apple but the 14 series is too expensive for me this year and trade in value was not good for my 13 Pro Max. I am just using Google messages even though a lot of people I know use iMessage. I have had some issues getting all of their texts and still ironing out the kinks but my family is not moving to another messaging platform.

I will try iPhone again when the 15 comes out and I save some money to buy an unlocked phone directly from Apple. My credit sucks so I can't finance anything.

So far my Pixel 7 Pro has been great. I actually really enjoy Google's version of Android. It has a lot of nice extras. So while the situation is not perfect and I miss some of the integration and functionality of my old iPhone I am also enjoying the new experience and feel a little more free not being completely tied to one platform.

I am sure you will figure everything out and your Samsung is one of the best phones available. The alpha Omega gangster. Lol.

Maybe Apple will change display tech and you will be able to use the iPhone 15.

Ultimately though no tech should make you sick!

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
It is for non tech people who tend to be a lot of iPhone users. My wife, my aunt's and people who care for my Mom in assisted living facility all use iPhones and getting them to use another message app besides the default on the iPhone would be impossible. Add to that air drop and Facetime and the fact it is all integrated into iMessage there is no way any of them would switch.

So iMessage is a pretty big deal here in the US for better or worse.

Most IT people I’ve worked with have iPhones. So, with that I don’t agree with that. But I do agree that many seniors have iPhones. It does make it easier for them to use.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My experience is different. Most IT staff have Windows computers and Android phones?
I work in cybersecurity and its been a mixed bag at my work. The people that work in any kind of tooling all have Windows and Android phones. The MDs and VPs who just have meetings all day have iPhones but still have Windows for work PCs. But most of the developers at my work all have Android phones for some reason.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I work in cybersecurity and its been a mixed bag at my work. The people that work in any kind of tooling all have Windows and Android phones. The MDs and VPs who just have meetings all day have iPhones but still have Windows for work PCs. But most of the developers at my work all have Android phones for some reason.
Sounds about right.

Reactions: gusmula and 5105973

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
well... and after deeper thinking, these are few things that keep me personally on iphone: Find my friends - very useful, using to find where wife/children are (no need for calls, messages, etc), fast reliable camera (with children, shutter lag is something i do not want to experience), best in class video recording (again - children), apple pay, passwords in icloud (could be replaced by som e 3rd party - not best solution, but doable), facetime (have not met service with comparable video quality yet), imessage.. and probably because of this will never try to switch... but must say, samsung offerings are always best regarding price, like righ now, they will pay me almost selling price for my iphone mini if i decide to switch, awesome:) apple would give me barely half the price :D

oh, and I forgot faceID, it is so awesome and noone is able to deliver sthing as good as faceID is

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
well... and after deeper thinking, these are few things that keep me personally on iphone: Find my friends - very useful, using to find where wife/children are (no need for calls, messages, etc), fast reliable camera (with children, shutter lag is something i do not want to experience), best in class video recording (again - children), apple pay, passwords in icloud (could be replaced by som e 3rd party - not best solution, but doable), facetime (have not met service with comparable video quality yet), imessage.. and probably because of this will never try to switch... but must say, samsung offerings are always best regarding price, like righ now, they will pay me almost selling price for my iphone mini if i decide to switch, awesome:) apple would give me barely half the price :D

oh, and I forgot faceID, it is so awesome and noone is able to deliver sthing as good as faceID is
Lol yes when your children are young Apple is the top choice for the reasons you mentioned. It's shocking to think about, since when I first started posting here, my house was filled with noisy kids, but I'm now only a couple of years away from empty nesting!

The house is filled with noisy teenagers but not for very long, I guess. I'm getting fewer and fewer texts from everyone. My social life dropped significantly during the pandemic and then we adults realized a lot of our social life revolved around our kids being friends. But the kids themselves are growing and branching out and organizing their own get togethers. So there's less need for us adults to meet up.

If the pandemic hadn't happened we still had enough momentum to personally carry us through. But with the pandemic we are fading out of each other's lives. We were all so tied to each other via the Apple ecosystem of tech and services.

I was also heavily tied to tech during the last 15 years of taking care of my parents and in-laws as they battled many varied health problems and general issues of aging. That has been a hard road.

I don't begrudge any of them, but I needed two phones on me because I would be on the phone to doctors or emergency services on one phone and talking to family on the other phone, letting them know what was going on.

The last few years where we vacationed with my in-laws were the hardest. I was basically functioning as a traveling nurse the entire vacations. As hard as that was, though, it was worth it being able to extend their ability to enjoy the beach by a few more years than they otherwise would have had. It really is not the same vacationing without them.

My mother-in-law passed away first. My dad passed away almost exactly a year ago. Those were the two more independent ones so now their surviving spouses are in Assisted Living. My mom still keeps me hopping at her beck and call but at least now I don't need two phones on me at all times to manage her care! She's in a really nice facility so anything I have to do for her is a little extra to spoil her a little bit and give her that feeling she's my queen. 😆. She likes that.

It's funny that she never paid any attention to technology before. But now she notices my Apple Watch and my phones. She's actually IQ-wise much smarter than me, so she's gotten adept at figuring out how my stuff works just by watching me pull up information and photos for her. She's got the early stages of dementia so it's kind of shocking to me what she's still capable of with tech and I feel bad now that nobody ever showed her how to use it before. Unfortunately her arthritis in her hands is so bad I can't really get her to text me even if she could be taught how to do it.

She's also extremely hard of hearing and refuses hearing aids, so I don't want to be trying FaceTime with her. Phone calls are so excruciating I actually prefer just to jump in my car and visit her so she can mis hear me in person. 🙄

Oh sorry, I have digressed quite a bit! But I definitely am entering a new phase of my life and I think now my horizons on my technology choices are opening up more, even as I demand less from tech. Interesting how that's working out.

But yeah, for a younger family, Apple definitely is the most appealing choice in my opinion. Ugh, but the more expensive one, as well.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
I concur! I'll probably be a Galaxy Fold user until Samsung stops manufacturing them.

I like the Surface Duo... has excellent hardware, the software leaves more to be desired.

They announced the Surface Neo, which would have been an instant buy for me (at least to try out). I kind of wish Microsoft put its own Windows OS on the Surface Duo.

a "Neo" device, though not from Microsoft itself, has been hinted at by WindowsCentral crew in their latest podcast.
time stamp 1h 41m 21s to (about a 40 seconds segment)

Surface Duo originally was intended to ship with a version of Windows btw.
Article with illustrations

@Ludatyk

I'm guessing this leaked Lenovo YogaBook 9i (to be unveilled at CES 2023) is the "Surface Neo"-like device Rubino was hinting at.

Attachments

• yogabook-9i_03.jpg
    yogabook-9i_03.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 55
  • yogabook-9i_01.jpg
    yogabook-9i_01.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 54
  • yogabook-9i_02.jpg
    yogabook-9i_02.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 53
  • yogabook-9i_04.jpg
    yogabook-9i_04.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 53

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I, like many others, it seems have been curious to wander out of the garden. However, my wife is DEAD SET on iMessage and I can't get her to budge. I've been able to swap almost everything else, or I'm planning to, whether it was hardware or software. Thoughts on how I could complete this change? Standalone apple watch? What do you guys think?

I can see you swapping if you're not happy but why do you have to take your wife with you? If she is happy, why not just let her enjoy what she is happy with and comfortable in using?

Reactions: TechNutt

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
They have to insist on some lock-in stunts like this or they will lose way more customers than they ever want to admit. The moment they embrace open standard, so many fringe iPhone users gonna jump ship to Android because iMessage is no longer locked for iOS only.
Just to clarify, SMS is the open standard for cross platform messaging. It is supported by every carrier worldwide.

RCS is not an open standard - it is free to use but is a proprietary protocol. It is barely supported worldwide right now and current projections is that it won't even hit 50% worldwide support by 2027:

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 08.31.58.png

RCS doesn't have end-end encryption turned on as standard and will need to be configured as such by every cellular provider. Good luck with that in Russia/ China etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.