Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm not picking up this game on release due to a massive backlog, but would love to see opinions from people who have. Use spoiler-tags please :)

Here's the Storm-trailer;

***EDIT***

PS5-upgrade and DLC announced in the form of a "Director's Cut".

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think this game will be huge in different aspects, but only appeal to a ‘niche demographic’ that really are into like sword- wielding-combat. It’s been demoed for years with this game, but I probably will wait for the initial reviews before I do a ‘day one purchase’ like I normally do.

[And as you mentioned, I’m getting to the point with the amount of games I have that I may never actually get them if I don’t start completing with all these new titles. Which actually I’m glad that Cyberpunk has been delayed again for the third time.]

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
For some reason I thought this was a "souls" type game and had zero interest in it. Once I saw that gameplay video that had stealth elements and realized it was a Sucker Punch game I was all in. I loved the Infamous games.

• Love
Reactions: BlankStar

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Just read vg247's review:

"It has its moments, but like Jin Sakai in the opening hours, the past holds it back. It’s Open World: The Video Game. It’s far too easy, too – the lack of consequence for failure makes it feel like you’re just going through the motions. If you’ll excuse the wind-based pun, it’s a breeze. While playing it, I often found my mind wandering. By the third and final act, I just wanted it to be over. Like the samurai, Ghost of Tsushima feels like a relic of a bygone era."

Looks like my fear may have come true...

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Destructoid and IGN loved it I'm not looking for a reinvention of open world games. If it's a fun island I can get myself lost in exploring I'm good.

Reactions: compwiz1202

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I don't care much for online reviews. Otherwise I would've probably cancelled my TLOU2 pre-order because so many people hated it. Now I'm really happy I didn't because I absolutely loved the game. The story is way more harsh, realistic and less clear on who's "good" or "bad" with new characters so now I understand why people who expected part 2 to be the orginal game but some years later were really disappointed, but I loved it.
Back on topic: the same here, some people are going to hate it, because they hate it or even to get more clicks/likes which requires to stand out, so hating a loved game might just do that. I'm going to play it and I'll make up my own mind :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I don't see this game as polarizing as TLOU2 for example. It just seems like a rather generic open world game that brings nothing new to the table, except that it looks astonishingly beautiful. :)

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
It got a 40/40 review from Famitsu. The third Western-made game that gets this score after Skyrim and GTA5. FYI: they always let 4 of their people review a game and the four scores are added together, so it got four time 10/10.

I must say that it calms the mind when the Japanese say the game is good :)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm so annoyed that Amazon doesn't have release day shipping for this. I ordered it months ago and they're saying I'm going to get it four days after release.

• Angry
Reactions: BlankStar

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I don't care much for online reviews. Otherwise I would've probably cancelled my TLOU2 pre-order because so many people hated it. Now I'm really happy I didn't because I absolutely loved the game. The story is way more harsh, realistic and less clear on who's "good" or "bad" with new characters so now I understand why people who expected part 2 to be the orginal game but some years later were really disappointed, but I loved it.
Back on topic: the same here, some people are going to hate it, because they hate it or even to get more clicks/likes which requires to stand out, so hating a loved game might just do that. I'm going to play it and I'll make up my own mind :)

To be fair, real reviewers didn’t have contradicting opinions of TLOU2. It’s tied for 5th best PS4 game of all time on metacritic with 0 negative ratings, so there weren’t any online reviews outside of internet trolls that would have made you cancel your preorder.

Last edited:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Free Ghost of Tsushima theme for PSN
Americas: 5NEC-F9N4-75M8
Europe/AU/NZ/Russia/Middle East/Africa/India: 8T2T-CRNJ-FM72
Japan: N4TK-59NH-2LH3
Korea: EM56-NTNC-EHX8
Asia: DHLN-HANF-F6LH

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Cancelled my Amazon order and bought it digitally. I'm only in the prologue but it is quite visually impressive so far. I wish you could remap the block button to not be L1.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I love the horse riding stuff. If I could get it with a GTA style ingame selection of radio station, I'd be playing just that all day long. :p

As it is the game looks quite rough around the edges. Camera and AI in particular. I still have backlog so will sit it out for a while and check in a few to see if they patch out some of the issues I've seen demonstrated. But the verdict 'good - but not great' seems pretty justified so far.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
Picked up the game today. Thus far I'm liking the visuals and combat. However, some parts feel a little unpolished to me. But, I have to play a little more before coming to a verdict of any sorts.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I love the horse riding stuff. If I could get it with a GTA style ingame selection of radio station, I'd be playing just that all day long. :p

I'm frozen in front of the three horses. Them warning that your decision lasts the whole game is making it hard for me to decide!

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
It's only the colors and names that are different I think, not like deciding between Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche. :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm frozen in front of the three horses. Them warning that your decision lasts the whole game is making it hard for me to decide!
I read on a IGN page with "tips and tricks" the horses are all the same, so pick whichever you like.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It's only the colors and names that are different I think, not like deciding between Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche. :)
I read on a IGN page with "tips and tricks" the horses are all the same, so pick whichever you like.

It's the cosmetic aspect that had me frozen since I'm going to be looking at that horse for 40+ hours! :D

I'm loving the game so far. The only thing that I can see being an issue for me is the four different stances. In the heat of battle it's going to be hard for me to remember "ok when he hold the sword this way it's the ____ stance and that's good against guys with shields".

Reactions: Weaselboy

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm glad I watched the gameplay video that explains how you interact with animals because I'm not sure I would have picked up on that immediately.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I played quite a bit this weekend and I absolutely love this game. It's so beautiful and I sometimes just like wandering around looking for side-quests (which I've been enjoying). I've only gotten stuck once, on a warlord that seemed way too powerful for me to defeat. The game gave me the option to abandon that section to retry later. The loading time is incredible. It's really minimal from a cold boot and fast travel is almost instantaneous. I'm going the "dishonorable ghost" path but you still get your hands dirty with plenty of combat doing that. I just unlocked the triple assassination and jumping off of a roof and pulling that off will never get old.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Haven't had loads of time this weekend but I managed to cram in some hours and I am NOT disappointed that I pre-ordered this game. How ridiculously cool is this game?! The world is so beautiful and I'm loving both ways. Shooting out "bring your strongest warrior to face me!" and then slash him up is pure awesomeness, and going AC-style, sneaking around and assassinating Mongols is also extremely badass!
I was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning when checking all the menus. So many things to upgrade/learn/equip but they give enough time to ease into it and stuff isn't getting unlocked too fast.
I'm really liking the fighting mechanics, button mashing will result in your death. Yet if you focus and use the skills provided you can kill a squad of Mongols real fast, but I'm struggling to correctly switch stance fast enough in between opponents since they're all mixed up and often attack in turn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.