Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I am in the same spot and have been doing nothing but side missions for the last two days. It feels like every time I finish a side mission, I run into another villager with the little thought bubble who lays another side mission on me. I think I have more side quests stacked up now than two days ago when I started chipping away at them.

Not complaining, because the gameplay and scenery is very enjoyable. Just an observation.

That's how I got to 187 hours in AC: Odyssey. Side quests never seem like a chore to me because in games I am an explorer at heart. "What, you are giving me a reason to have to explorer that mountain? Okay."

Reactions: Weaselboy

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
lol....I've done that a few times. Just going to take this one guy out stealthily with a well placed arrow....nice, quiet and.....oh crap wrong arrow! KABOOM!

I think the throwables are one thing that I think is going to confuse me the whole time. Black powder bombs are set up with one trigger but sticky bombs are set up with another. :(

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I think the throwables are one thing that I think is going to confuse me the whole time. Black powder bombs are set up with one trigger but sticky bombs are set up with another. :(

Same here. I'm constantly trying to remember what toggles what menu. Probably the most annoying part of the game along with the wonky camera (at times).

Reactions: MisterSavage

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm loving the combat more than anything else. I've got to the point that I don't care about stealth at all. I just waltz into Mongol territory and say "bring it on, bitches". Then I'm just switching my stances to match my enemy, parrying them left and right while looking extremely cool doing so. And then I'll jump on rooftop and fire a couple of *historically accurate* explosive arrows down on these guys. Jump down and hurl some kunai and then hack up these staggered goofballs. Finally time to go after these archers who have been doing their hardest to pummel me with arrows all this time. Hack. Slash. And they fall.

I am Samurai. :cool:
I liberated the first part and started the second... It's back to old tactics, the Mongols in the second part and the
Strawhat Ronin
are way faster and more skilled than the sacks of flesh wobbling around in the first part (they feel like that now). Running in yelling "WHO WILL FIGHT ME?!" doesn't really work anymore now :-(

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm having so much fun with this game. And to think I was doubting to pre-order after I already preordered TLoU2 and FF7R and my ground rule is that I only buy games at 50% discount or more... But these games are ridiculously good and deserve every last cent.

What a good time to be a gamer...

One can only dream what we'll be playing in a couple of years when the next gen hardware is starting to get really used.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
One can only dream what we'll be playing in a couple of years when the next gen hardware is starting to get really used.
Yeah this is what I keep thinking when I play Ghost of Tsushima. If you can make a game this beautiful using the hardware in the original PS4 which is very outdated at this point, imagine what some of the next-gen games are going to look like.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah this is what I keep thinking when I play Ghost of Tsushima. If you can make a game this beautiful using the hardware in the original PS4 which is very outdated at this point, imagine what some of the next-gen games are going to look like.

I don't think any game has consistently "wowed" me with the graphics for so long. Every time I hit a new area (especially where shrines are located) I'm just blown away by how good it looks.

No spoilers but I just spent a long time gathering keys to unlock a door to get a suit of armor that he could have just climbed up and retrieved. :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just learned you can swipe left to play the flute, which changes the weather. If that was pointed out somewhere in the game along the way, I sure missed it.

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I just learned you can swipe left to play the flute, which changes the weather. If that was pointed out somewhere in the game along the way, I sure missed it.

No, I don't think it was. Your post is the first I'm hearing of this. That's cool though. Getting tired of all the thunder and rain.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

I only knew about that because I read it in a game review. It's very odd how they teach you some game mechanics. I'm in act 2 and I just now hit an NPC that told me I should follow foxes???

I've been having lots of lightning in my game. :)

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
It is because you are being "dishonorable" by doing stealth kills

I think the game considers throwables like the kunai and bombs as "dishonorable" as well. I'm really not doing much stealth unless the mission requires it. That means I'm taking on a lot of bad guys at one time though so I've got to whittle them down using everything I can.

I think the game is just Mr. Grumpy Pants and the flute turns its frown upside down. :p

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
The birds, foxes, flute, etc are all explained by NPC's you can optionally talk to.

Something else: swipe down to bow and pay your respects to something. If you do it before fallen samurai, etc, it can trigger some reactions from Jin. There are big frog statues here and there, now in front and see what happens ;-)

PS if you start Act 2: make it your main mission to get the Sakai armor, you also get a new weapon that is loads of fun ;-) I've done loads and loads of sidequest before getting it and was bummed that I've could've loads of fun during the sidequests with the new weapon.

Last edited:

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
The Tales of Tsushima side quests with the individual characters are really good. Good stories anyway. I've done about half of each of them. I have to progress to Act 3 to finish them.

The birds, foxes, flute, etc are all explained buy NPC's you can optionally talk to.

Something else: swipe down to bow and pay your respects to something. If you do it before fallen samurai, etc, it can trigger some reactions from Jin. There are big frog statues here and there, now in front and see what happens ;-)

PS if you start Act 2: make it your main mission to get the Sakai armor, you also get a new weapon that is loads of fun ;-) I've done loads and loads of sidequest before getting it and was bummed that I've could've loads of fun during the sidequests with the new weapon.

There are small signs with a guy bowing on it spread throughout the game usually by a statue or water. Bowing towards it will create a reaction. Do this ten times to get a trophy.

Also, found this map to be very useful as I'm working towards getting the Platinum for this game:

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Ok, you've convinced me. I saw the rewards for that quest and was wondering if I should do it even though I said I was going to side quest it for now.

If only it was this easy to convince you to play Witcher 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.