Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
From what I have been seeing here and Reddit, I am glad I decided to upgrade to my 13PM from my 8 Plus instead of waiting for an 14PM. Have had my 13PM since June 2022 and not a single problem, and I love the cameras. I keep seeing more and more posts and articles about a slew of iPhone 14 problems and the hate that people have for their new iPhones. I have even seen many posts about people downgrading to the iPhone 13 from their 14's. So glad I dodged that bullet.

Laptopmag.com

Forbes.com

Tomsguide.com

Last edited:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Same here.
My first smartphone of any kind is my 13 Pro.
Flawless, no problems at all except my learning curve.
Considering all of the issues people bring forth about their 14 series phones, I'm certainly glad that I have what I have.
Some say that the 13 series had many problems too, but as hard as I have searched, I can't find any threads since their release indicating that.
Others say that the 13 series is the most solid series of iPhone to date.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I loved my 13 Pro but I love my 14 Pro Max more. It’s a better phone in every way. More power to ya if you wanna stick with an older generation; it’s silly to think everybody will upgrade every year.

That said, don’t kid yourself that you have better hardware. We just had this same discussion over in the iOS beta thread. You’re seeing a lot of complaints because that’s what happens when people are unhappy about something.

This is also a forum to which people come to research and ask questions. It’s all good if you come in, describe the issue, explain what you did to attempt to resolve it, a Feedback submission if you’re able to reproduce/not able to resolve it and discuss like an adult.

It gets really tiresome seeing the same people and newbies coming through just trash talking without having the evidence or personal experience to back it up.

This is by no means directed at anyone in particular; I’m addressing the forum in general.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
@Knowlege Bomb

Been here 12 years, so not quite a newbie. I posted just a minuscule sample of the problems and complaints I found. Don’t think I have better hardware, just less troublesome. My personal experience anyway. If you’d like to see my comprehensive research, I’d be happy to post it for you.
Thanks, but no. I’m just sharing my personal experience and making sure the community is aware of certain “alarmist” attitudes.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
The link you posted is all about the camera.
What about the rest of the package?
It’s just one example but there are the typical yellow screen threads, overheating, battery draining, screen lottery, modem issues, you name it. It’s a great phone, but perusing these threads it doesn’t appear the 14 series is any worse.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Problems with the 14 pro? There’s always a very vocal minority obsessed with minute details complaining about each iPhone generation. I’ve been a member since 2003 and they’re out here every freaking product cycle. Heck sometimes I join them too!
2017 keyboard gate. But those are real issues (apple even extended the keyboard replacement coverage). There’s no large scale company wide issue with the 14 pro necessitating a recall. The only issue with the 14 is lack of production due to the shut down in China. Otherwise damn good phone. We both upgraded from 13s to 14P and 14PM. Very awesome phone. Don’t believe the hype. What should dictate your decision is cash flow. If you can get a 13 pro by all means do so if it’s an awesome deal. Otherwise it’s a nonissue what ever noise you hear.

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The ONE reason I held off getting the 14 PM was e-sim only! That said, it's been a blessing in disguise for me.. saved $$ for basically a trivial upgrade imo..

Very happy with my 13PM, except for iOS 16 neutering the battery!!

• Haha
Reactions: Chidoro

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Whatever helps you sleep at night OP. I have the 14 pro max and love it. My wife took over my 13 pro max and loves it. My photos and video looks great, performance is amazing and so is battery

Glad you’re happy with your 13, but don’t be fooled by all the clickbait thinking you got the better phone lol. Same groups of people that tried to slam the M2 air and then looked silly having to backtrack later down the road once everyone realized they were full of it.

Buy what you like and enjoy it

Last edited:

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
Every year it is the same deal. People try to justify their upgrades or non upgrades... :D

"I stuck with a 13pm and it was the right choice. 14pm is filled with problems"

"I bought a 14pm and i love it more than my 13pm. no problems here at all"

Literally always the same... 😂😂

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Every year it is the same deal. People try to justify their upgrades or non upgrades... :D

"I stuck with a 13pm and it was the right choice. 14pm is filled with problems"

"I bought a 14pm and i love it more than my 13pm. no problems here at all"

Literally always the same... 😂😂
What else would you expect?
It's the same with cases, screen protectors, pickup trucks......................
There are those that simply appreciate what they have as the best for them, and there are those who trash everything else in favor of what they have.

Reactions: LacrosseChic

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
It's the same with cases, screen protectors, pickup trucks......................
There are those that simply appreciate what they have as the best for them, and there are those who trash everything else in favor of what they have.
I expect them to realize that simple thing you describe above and save everyone's time from their insecurities or needless justifications. It would also do good for them individually, since they would realize that they shouldnt care about such trivial things.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Problems with the 14 pro? There’s always a very vocal minority obsessed with minute details complaining about each iPhone generation.
That’s the problem. Apple sells so many of these phones that there’s always going to be some with issues. No one with a perfectly working phone is going to come on here and create an account just to tell everybody how awesome it is. There’s that one angry person who bought his phone and now feels the screen is just a tad too yellow looking, and is now blasting the entire Internet about his issue.

So far, no issues with my 14 Pro Max. The only issues I’ve had was with the .0 version of iOS. That was a nightmare on my iPhone 13 and 14.

As to is it worth upgrading? That depends on what phone you have. If you have an iPhone 12 or 13 probably not. I upgraded from the 13 but that’s because I was being silly and got a good trade in deal. The difference is minimal for a one year upgrade.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Over the years there have been a few “bad Apples”:

The iPhone 6 was terrible, with random restarts and bad reception. The 12 Pro dropped lots of calls. I know this was a model issue as Apple replaced both phones several times over the year or so I used them. The X, and now 14, seem buggy.

Best iPhones?
The 5s was the first iPhone I really enjoyed. The 8, Xs and 11 Pro were good but my current favorite is my 13 Pro. Rock solid.
My favourite iphone of all time is still the 6s plus. Never dropped calls or data, no crashes or bugs just an all round solid phone.

Reactions: Ram65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.