Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I had the same dilemma when upgrading back in September. I was hoping to get a 14 Pro but then when it was released and the retail price shot up by £149 from the previous years Pro, I opted for the 13 Pro instead. My wife upgraded to the 13 Pro Max and hated it’s size so we swapped. I can’t say I regret my decision as the 13 Pro Max is an excellent phone. I think going forward when I upgrade I will just get the previous years Pro to save a few hundred quid as very little seems to change. There was nothing meaningful on the 14 Pro that I feel I am missing out on so what the heck. Not ruling out Android though if Apple continues creeping their prices up too.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Talk about protesting too much. Let’s be honest, it must have been pretty annoying that the biggest upgrade and first redesign in 5 years occurred shortly after you bought a 13pm

Something tells me you read the thread title and not the OP. I don’t think the thread starter or anybody else who opted for a 13 Pro was bothered about the tiny changes the 14 Pro has otherwise this thread wouldn’t exist in the first place.

Reactions: bondr006

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I wish I’d gone for the smaller one , I’ve got fairly big hands but the max pro is rather unwieldy one handed , keep worrying I’ll drop it

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
It’s not a tiny change though, it’s a new design era, and the first since 2017, so in some ways it’s one of the most significant updates ever. The aesthetics of the camera design of the pro is not for me though, so I will be waiting for the dynamic island to come to the non pro model which it will apparently with the 15

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s not a tiny change though, it’s a new design era, and the first since 2017, so in some ways it’s one of the most significant updates ever. The aesthetics of the camera design of the pro is not for me though, so I will be waiting for the dynamic island to come to the non pro model which it will apparently with the 15

Apart from a small change to the screen where the notch has been transformed into a pill shape, there are no significant design changes to the 14 Pro. The iPhone 12 was more significant as it reintroduced a flat sided device that is still present today. Not entirely sure what you are alluding to if I’m truthfully honest.

negative_

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
🤣

If you want to see the facts, just look at last year's iPhone 13 issue..
the first months everyone complains about the battery, everyone finds their own problem, especially from the first version of ios 15

Reactions: Piscestg

Shouldibuy

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2022
was going to buy the 14 but decided to skip it, no reason to upgrade now since the next one is coming with usb c which future proofs the phone compared to the 14.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I used my XS Max up until August and I actually planned on using it for another year. I decided one night in August to see if I would get approved for a new account on Verizon and selected the 13 Pro Max as the phone. Got approved and picked up the phone the next day.

I like being able to swap sims because I also have AT&T and T-Mobile prepaid sims. T-Mobile has the best service here so I use that one most of the time.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Every year it is the same deal. People try to justify their upgrades or non upgrades... :D

"I stuck with a 13pm and it was the right choice. 14pm is filled with problems"

"I bought a 14pm and i love it more than my 13pm. no problems here at all"

Literally always the same... 😂😂

Not everyone, I updated from a 13 Pro Max to a 14 Pro Max and I kind of view it as pointless. 13 Pro Max could already do everything I do with my 14 Pro Max, and didn't have that distracting cutout that I find way worse that the notch, especially when watching video.

It doesn't bother me enough to downgrade, but as far as upgrades go it is the most pointless one I've done.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
From what I have been seeing here and Reddit, I am glad I decided to upgrade to my 13PM from my 8 Plus instead of waiting for an 14PM. Have had my 13PM since June 2022 and not a single problem, and I love the cameras. I keep seeing more and more posts and articles about a slew of iPhone 14 problems and the hate that people have for their new iPhones. I have even seen many posts about people downgrading to the iPhone 13 from their 14's. So glad I dodged that bullet.

Laptopmag.com

Forbes.com

Tomsguide.com

I’m happy with my iPhone 14 Pro Max upgrade from my 12 Pro Max. I haven’t had any issues and absolutely love the Deep Purple color.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
That's exactly the same with me....from 12PM to 14PM. I love mine too. If I would have had 13PM I probably wouldn't have upgraded as it wouldn't have been justifiable.

The 13 Pro Max wasn’t justifiable for me and I didn’t like any of the colors. I didn’t want to go from one blue color to another blue color. I’m also debating on wether I’ll be upgrading this year.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
@StaceyMJ86

There is only one iPhone color worth talking about....

iP13PM.png

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I’m glad I upgraded my 6 to the XR. XR to the 12? meh. 12 to the 14 Pro? Meh. My contract means I can’t upgrade again till the 17. We’ll see!

Reactions: MacLappy

MayfairMissy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2021
I upgrade every year, always get the pro or pro max and have never had any issues. For me the upgrade has always been worth it and I've always sold my "old" phone for a really good price. Which brings me to my next point. The price of the 13 Pro for me personally wouldn't be low enough to choose it over the 14 Pro. The pricing is too similar for me. Here in Europe not only is the price for the 14 Pro very high, it has also been and is high for the 13 Pro. I personally really enjoy the new brighter screen, better sound, AOD, the deep purple color and dynamic island. I love it and I loved my 13 Pro just as much last year.

Last edited:

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
From what I have been seeing here and Reddit, I am glad I decided to upgrade to my 13PM from my 8 Plus instead of waiting for an 14PM. Have had my 13PM since June 2022 and not a single problem, and I love the cameras. I keep seeing more and more posts and articles about a slew of iPhone 14 problems and the hate that people have for their new iPhones. I have even seen many posts about people downgrading to the iPhone 13 from their 14's. So glad I dodged that bullet.

Laptopmag.com

Forbes.com

Tomsguide.com

honestly, I am not new to apple items. Since the apple2 plus computer 1978-ish. years after I bought many other apple items. skipping to the 14 Promax; I can say the phone best I owned from apple in a long time. No defect NO bug, NOT A problem. crapping on this phone seems to be for other reasons than this cry people are not saying. My Sister owns 13 Promax she is happy. She seems to be having issues with bugs and other firmware etc. never the less it's all about happy you are. Neverending who has it and who can afford it. I am happy you like your new phone. best wishes.

Reactions: LacrosseChic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.