Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
One of the interesting things regarding the glare issue is that unless I've missed it, I don't think anyone has actually posted a photo or video of what it looks like.

I was watching an old review of the Bigscreen Beyond yesterday, and I thought this was worth sharing -

Is this what people are seeing? And is it as bad as/not as bad as what is demonstrated here?

Yes, it’s very close to their glare test footage. Not as bad, but still very pronounced. However, some people report only minor glare at the bottom…

Reactions: gerald.d

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Light seal can certainly matter, though if you are sensitive to the glare maybe not. I don't see glare on my 33W, but today I tried 23N, after reviews from reddit people of better FOV. The FOV is improved greatly, but now I see a bit of glare in dark environments. I get about 1 feet more FOV on each side with this light seal, but some glare as well.
Yeah, but the glare most people are referring to here doesn’t have anything to do with the light seal.

Reactions: oneteam

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The light seal you have affects the distance between the internal lenses and your eye (eg a 33W puts the VP farther from your face than a 23W).

I thought the first number was width and the 2nd number depth?

Hi guys, it seems (internet) that Apple Vison Pro Light Seals use a three character code. In the example 23W The first character (2) represents overall width the second character (3) represents depth and the third character (W) represents nose bridge width (N=narrow, W=Wide).

Apple Vison Pro Lght Seal Cushions come in Narrow, Wide, Narrow + and Wide + with the plus sizes being thicker/deeper.

I had read that there are 26 total variations. From what I can tell there are three widths (1,2,3), five depths (1,2,3,4,5) and two bridge widths (N,W). This would be 30 variations if all combinations have been produced.

There are also (obviously) 2 band styles, each comes in S,M,L.

We have two light seals here (21 Wide and 25 Wide), and I can tell you that changing between the two has a profound effect on field of view, glare/flare, light leakage, and comfort. We are both pleased so far but we are headed to Apple Store to make sure that we have the perfect fit.

In my opinion, in many cases getting this right will be the difference between enjoying this device or not.

I have been able to reduce or eliminate glare by moving the VP up or down on my face.

Reactions: fatTribble

Shawn Kelly

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2024
There are two primary artifacts with pancake lenses in particular: glare (somewhat focused stray reflections) and haze (generally scattered light). Over 90% of the light from a backlit LCD or an OLED does not make it directly to our eyes. Most of that light gets through the pancake lens but then hits our face where a lot of it is scattered back into the pancake lens.

If ambient light gets in through the seal while in a lit room then some of that that ambient light also makes its way into the pancake lens to decrease contrast, creating a more hazy (ie less black blacks) background. Similarly, in a totally dark room (or with a great seal), as the content gets brighter there is more light scattered from the display itself – also decreasing contrast for more haze.

The glare, or what seems like ghost images or duplicate image detail, is due to the first light coming from the display bouncing just a few times inside the lens and then into our eyes. The more bounces, the more that glare becomes general scatter.

What is interesting is that the glare is actually always there. But at a certain point the haze overpowers the glare so those details are masked. As the content becomes more overall dark the haze will decrease so that the overall black level increases enough that the glare becomes more visible. But if there is any ambient light getting in then glare won’t be as visible. This is why some people don’t see glare artifacts during demos in a lit room or with generally bright content without a whole lot of dark. The contrast just isn’t good enough to see it against the hazy background.

Glare artifacts can also move because where we see them depends on where the bright image content is in the image. You can somewhat adjust the headset to make a particular glare less visible, but typically that just means the glare from other bright content comes into view.

Note that these artifacts are very similar between an OLED display and a backlit LCD. It is the fact that so much light is scattered outside our eye locations that makes the pancake lens the true limit of image contrast rather than the native contrast of the display itself.

Note that “haze” in this context is not meant to suggest the artifact is extreme, just that you’ll never see complete blacks with the display technologies currently being used with a pancake lens whenever there is visible content.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have some glare. Produces a kind of haze along the bottom. It's internal, not light leakage. I have a different size light seal coming to see if the change in position relative to my eyes help. It's not a dealbreaker, but a little bit of a downer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.