Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Do ya’ll have lighter eyes (which tend to let in more light)? I always have to have sunglasses outside due to my lighter eyes, so maybe that’s why some of us experience more glare in AVP.

Mine are dark brown. But it's an interesting question. I hate having a top dash that isn't black in the car because the reflection up on the windshield is highly distracting glare. I suspect this is not the reason, but then again, you never know.

Philllllip

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2014
the glare and fov issues are really immersion breaking.
I remember when I got my first PSVR and it was amazing. I then got the Quest and was SO disappointed as soon as I put it on by the Light leaks from the bottom PLUS the glare and god rays were terrible BUT I got used to it and then enjoyed it and now Quest 3 with pancake lenses are SO much better. Barely any glare and no god rays cos of the pancake lenses. But still the PSVR1 was so good in my opinion. Is the AVP gonna be exactly the same as the quest 3? I can go to big screen on quest 3 and watch a a massive screen movie in dark movie theatre and there is no real glare at all, only problem is it's not OLED so the blacks are grey. So I am guessing that the blacks are perfectly black on the AVP. So that combined with its pancake lenses should make it better than the quest3?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I remember when I got my first PSVR and it was amazing. I then got the Quest and was SO disappointed as soon as I put it on by the Light leaks from the bottom PLUS the glare and god rays were terrible BUT I got used to it and then enjoyed it and now Quest 3 with pancake lenses are SO much better. Barely any glare and no god rays cos of the pancake lenses. But still the PSVR1 was so good in my opinion. Is the AVP gonna be exactly the same as the quest 3? I can go to big screen on quest 3 and watch a a massive screen movie in dark movie theatre and there is no real glare at all, only problem is it's not OLED so the blacks are grey. So I am guessing that the blacks are perfectly black on the AVP. So that combined with its pancake lenses should make it better than the quest3?

in a dark environment it’s like someone smeared lard on the lenses. Not good

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I get a ton of glare in movies/games on Quest 3. Most noticeable in high contrast content (e.g. bright logos on a black loading screen). Not quite as noticeable as AVP (probably because blacks are so grey on Quest 3) but in any case pancake lenses = glare.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
It will make the glare more noticeable lol… but most people with quest 3 are complaining about the glare already

lch6257

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Last night, I was reading on reditt vision pro sub and came across a post regarding an accessibilty setting called “white point” that was suggested to reduce the glare. I went into the settings on my AVP and turned on my white point setting and dropped the value down to the lowest (20%) possible value and glare was definitely reduced. I am,however, still playing with this when I have time as I made this change late and did not have a lot of time to play with it. I can say that the fidelity was still very great. I understand that white point settings have to do with the brightness of colors. Take a look as a suggestion and see if you get glare “improvements” reduction. The manual way I got around this was watching movies at mount hood in light env setting and the less dark the background the less glare I get. White point may help reduce glare, so far I do see a difference.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Yeah I can't get over the glare thing, it really ruins the experience. The FOV would be a lot more forgivable if the glare was controlled. I keep wanting to take the headset off to see if I've somehow got grease on the lenses or something but nah they're completely clean. I imagine it's worse when using the zeiss inserts. Honestly my hot take is they never should have shipped this until they found a way to significantly reduce glare. Funny, we should have seen this coming given the generational issue of iPhone video glare.

Reactions: Eastbay and oneteam

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Yeah I can't get over the glare thing, it really ruins the experience. The FOV would be a lot more forgivable if the glare was controlled. I keep wanting to take the headset off to see if I've somehow got grease on the lenses or something but nah they're completely clean. I imagine it's worse when using the zeiss inserts. Honestly my hot take is they never should have shipped this until they found a way to significantly reduce glare. Funny, we should have seen this coming given the generational issue of iPhone video glare.
Not sure what is worse the FOV or glare? The glare is definitely a design flaw that seems to be inherent in most VR headsets due to the type of lenses used.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
It has nothing to do with the light seal. Glare seems to be a problem with pancake lenses on all VR headsets.
Light seal can certainly matter, though if you are sensitive to the glare maybe not. I don't see glare on my 33W, but today I tried 23N, after reviews from reddit people of better FOV. The FOV is improved greatly, but now I see a bit of glare in dark environments. I get about 1 feet more FOV on each side with this light seal, but some glare as well.

twinpeaks_sf

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
Lamorinda, CA, USA
Light seal can certainly matter, though if you are sensitive to the glare maybe not. I don't see glare on my 33W, but today I tried 23N, after reviews from reddit people of better FOV. The FOV is improved greatly, but now I see a bit of glare in dark environments. I get about 1 feet more FOV on each side with this light seal, but some glare as well.
I thought the second number was how far away it is from your face (farther = less FOV), and the first number is face shape.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I thought the second number was how far away it is from your face (farther = less FOV), and the first number is face shape.
Farther does equal less FOV, here is a picture from reddit, not mine. 21W basically very hard to find currently. I do think you are right, but my 23 is not as deep as 33W. And big difference in FOV.

3k1fupf700hc1.jpeg copy.jpg

Last edited:

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I just did a 30 min demo at the Apple Store, in bright lights, before picking mine up. They ensured it was fitted correctly with the correct light seal. No glare.
The glare we are referring to does not come from outside, but from inside caused by the lens. It is not always visible, it depends on lighting, and sometimes it happens in very dark scenes, or very bright scenes, and sometimes it just doesn’t happen at all.

twinpeaks_sf

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
Lamorinda, CA, USA
Hey - if you know what size you want, you can request here: https://secure.store.apple.com/shop/vision/fit/help

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
well I finally got to watch a movie in the apple cinema . That was much better than the Disney theaters . Having that huge front row screen really masks the glare

Reactions: twinpeaks_sf

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I do notice some small light artifacts during movies in a dark environment. But it’s certainly nowhere close to a deal breaker for me and once I stopped focusing on it I haven’t really thought about it.

Reactions: twinpeaks_sf

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sadly I think this is going to be what pushes me over the edge to return. All the other little bugs are fine, will get fixed, etc, but this glare really bugs me lol.

Same. It’s actually to the point it feels seizure inducing. It just strobes across my face when watching bright movies with a dark background. I can’t even use the device anymore without fixating on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.