Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Effusion01

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Would it make sense to try and return and get a go at another one in case one is better then the other , but it seems they all have this issue.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Probably, I have tried different light seals though, can see it on some, not on others. Just me though, sounds like different for you.

Yeah I tried a few different light seals. None changed the internal glare. It was the same no matter what for me. Obviously the environment has the biggest effect. If you watch a movie in something like white sands it’s fine, but anything dark is distracting.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Perhaps an update can implement a glare reduction algorithm, analogous to noise reduction. Another application of machine learning: given a given image, and the physical configuration of AVP, predict where glare will occur and reduce it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Perhaps an update can implement a glare reduction algorithm, analogous to noise reduction. Another application of machine learning: given a given image, and the physical configuration of AVP, predict where glare will occur and reduce it.

Easy solution is to reduce the contrast, but that’s also one of the biggest benefits of OLED.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Would it make sense to try and return and get a go at another one in case one is better than the other , but it seems they all have this issue.
There are a bunch of variables here, but the Vision Pro itself isn’t one of them.

• The light seal you have affects the distance between the internal lenses and your eye (eg a 33W puts the VP farther from your face than a 23W). That will affect the glare you can see, since it’s being projected out of the lenses.
  • The Zeiss inserts probably affect the glare also - some people have them and some don’t. So that’s a variable.
  • It goes without saying, but: Lots of variance in people’s actual eyes.
So, that’s why I think this is such a long thread. I don’t think a different VP is gonna make a difference for you, but it does seem reasonable that trying light seals is the easiest variable to adjust and see if you can reduce the problem.

My own experience with a 21W is that the glare is bad only in the super high contrast case of watching a bright HDR movie in a dark virtual environment

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
There are a bunch of variables here, but the Vision Pro itself isn’t one of them.

• The light seal you have affects the distance between the internal lenses and your eye (eg a 33W puts the VP farther from your face than a 23N). That will affect the glare you can see, since it’s being projected out of the lenses.
  • The Zeiss inserts probably affect the glare also - some people have them and some don’t. So that’s a variable.
So, that’s why I think this is such a long thread. I don’t think a different VP is gonna make a difference for you, but it does seem reasonable that trying light seals is the easiest variable to adjust and see if you can reduce the problem.

My own experience with a 21W is that the glare is bad only in the super high contrast case of watching a bright HDR movie in a dark virtual environment

I agree with that, but that’s seriously the most ideal way to watch a movie. I guess it depends on the person, but what you described is why people spend thousands on OLED tvs and movie room set ups at home. All of the content is going to feel high contrast in a dark environment because of the perfect blacks.

Reactions: DeepStuff

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I’ve got a fix if anyone is interested. Go into the settings, turn brightness all the way down, and then go in to accessibility and turn reduce white point on, and set to around 85%. I’ve found at night, doing this greatly reduces eye strain as well, particularly in bright white apps like safari.

Right now, the shortcuts app doesn’t work to do this automatically, but i’m sure that is coming at some point.

Doing this in a darkish room, I was able to eliminate 95% of the glare issues I was having. Might be worth a try before returning.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I’ve got a fix if anyone is interested. Go into the settings, turn brightness all the way down, and then go in to accessibility and turn reduce white point on, and set to around 85%. I’ve found at night, doing this greatly reduces eye strain as well, particularly in bright white apps like safari.

Right now, the shortcuts app doesn’t work to do this automatically, but i’m sure that is coming at some point.

Doing this in a darkish room, I was able to eliminate 95% of the glare issues I was having. Might be worth a try before returning.

I’m sure that helps, but you are sacrificing quality.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
I’m sure that helps, but you are sacrificing quality.
I’m not even that sure it helps… just tried it and the glare is still there for me. Maybe it is slightly lessened, but if so it is very slight, it’s hard to tell anyway. It does make everything darker though so maybe it will reduce eye strain. I think I might set the white point back to normal but keep the brightness low.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
I agree with that, but that’s seriously the most ideal way to watch a movie. I guess it depends on the person, but what you described is why people spend thousands on OLED tvs and movie room set ups at home. All of the content is going to feel high contrast in a dark environment because of the perfect blacks.
Yeah I hear you. At least in my experience if I turn out the lights in my room and watch the video content in AR mode (i.e. not in a super dark virtual environment) it helps a lot to reduce glare while still getting a good experience. I'm still in the dark - just like I'd be with an actual OLED - but but I'm not making the environment artificially dark. I wish it didn't have this issue and I agree if you're in Disney+ with a immersed background (or watching content in a native dark virtual environment) the glare makes it practically unwatchable.

Who can say except Apple but my fear is this is a fundamental optics issue otherwise they'd probably have fixed this. I can't imagine it went unnoticed during development.

shamus99

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2014
Does the theater get brighter during a bright scene? It would in real life. Maybe that would hide the glare?

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Just a random thought, but what is the reason for people preferring to watch films with a dark environment?

I know that’s what we are used to when going to the cinema, but the reason cinemas have to kill all the lights is because the projected image is not very bright, and any light in the room will hit the screen and reduce contrast.

For home theaters using projectors, you have the same problem. For home theaters using display panels, you have to dim the lights because you don’t want to see them reflected in the glass.

You don’t have either of those problems with the Vision Pro.

I could be wrong, but I would have thought the perceived contrast of the film content would actually be higher if the environment was not pitch black. Blacks in the content will be perceived blacker if the environment surrounding the screen is itself not black, no?

No matter what the environment, the actual measured black in the content will be the same.

Reactions: Dovahkiing

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Just a random thought, but what is the reason for people preferring to watch films with a dark environment?

I know that’s what we are used to when going to the cinema, but the reason cinemas have to kill all the lights is because the projected image is not very bright, and any light in the room will hit the screen and reduce contrast.

For home theaters using projectors, you have the same problem. For home theaters using display panels, you have to dim the lights because you don’t want to see them reflected in the glass.

I could be wrong, but I would have thought the perceived contrast of the film content would actually be higher if the environment was not pitch black. Blacks in the content will be perceived blacker if the environment surrounding the screen is itself not black, no?

No matter what the environment, the actual measured black in the content will be the same.
I watched a movie last night in white sands environment. I think that one is a good balance of dimness while avoiding glare. Recommend folks try

Reactions: fatTribble

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

It's more immersive being in a black environment where the only thing you focus on is the screen.

Reactions: oneteam

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Are some people more sensitive to Glare? I haven’t seen it.

was watching Lessons in chemistry and old episodes of Greys anatomy on Netflix on safari.

my sole concern is comfort. Need a better head strap

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

was watching Lessons in chemistry and old episodes of Greys anatomy on Netflix on safari.

Definitely. I would compare it to imperfections in TV screens. Some people can either see that type of stuff or they cannot. I notice dead pixels on a TV, but 99% of people would not even be looking for it. If you do not see it, don't go looking for it.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019

• The light seal you have affects the distance between the internal lenses and your eye (eg a 33W puts the VP farther from your face than a 23W). That will affect the glare you can see, since it’s being projected out of the lenses.

I tried the thicker light seal, it did not help reduce glare as far as I could tell and was more uncomfortable as well.

I have Zeiss inserts.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I tried the thicker light seal, it did not help reduce glare as far as I could tell and was more uncomfortable as well.

I have Zeiss inserts.
The glare comes from inside, not outside. That's why there's glare even in a pitch black room. It's a limitation (and a terrible one) of the Vision Pro, and it's main reason I returned mine.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
The glare comes from inside, not outside. That's why there's glare even in a pitch black room. It's a limitation (and a terrible one) of the Vision Pro, and it's main reason I returned mine.
I know that, but it changes the geometry in there, so it is worth trying. The light from the display hits the eyes, bounces off them, back to the lenses, causing glare. In my case it did not make any difference.

I need nano textured contact lenses so my eyes are not so shiny. ;)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I know that, but it changes the geometry in there, so it is worth trying. The light from the display hits the eyes, bounces off them, back to the lenses, causing glare. In my case it did not make any difference.

I need nano textured contact lenses so my eyes are not so shiny. ;)
That's not what's happening here, though. The issue is specifically from the OLED panels hitting the lenses. There is no tangible difference with or without the Zeiss lenses, for reference.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT

It blow my mind that anyone doesn’t see it. It’s not minor. When i first put my headset on in my living room in the morning with passthrough i noticed a cloudyness to the image like the lens was fogged or dirty(which it wasn’t) then i went to watch an imax movie and the bright light of the screen refracts off the entire black half of my field of vision like a cloud. If it was subtle i woundnt even care but it’s not.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I wonder if some units don’t have it, because it’s pretty bad on mine - there is no way not to see it.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
One of the interesting things regarding the glare issue is that unless I've missed it, I don't think anyone has actually posted a photo or video of what it looks like.

I was watching an old review of the Bigscreen Beyond yesterday, and I thought this was worth sharing -

Is this what people are seeing? And is it as bad as/not as bad as what is demonstrated here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.