Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
This reminds me of the attempt to buy a large screen tv with no glare. Had big signs saying no glare. And special anti glare coating. But got it home and it’s full of glare.

Or back in the day when Apple stopped selling matte screened MacBooks. Major crisis. All my MacBooks and iMacs have tons of glare. I just learned to ‘look through’ it.

Many many glare-gates in the past.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
This reminds me of the attempt to buy a large screen tv with no glare. Had big signs saying no glare. And special anti glare coating. But got it home and it’s full of glare.

Or back in the day when Apple stopped selling matte screened MacBooks. Major crisis. All my MacBooks and iMacs have tons of glare. I just learned to ‘look through’ it.

Many many glare-gates in the past.

Gets a bit worse, though, when it's inside a tiny headset where your eyes are pressed right up against the screens.

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
For the record I did get mine fitted and see the glare at home now. You have to remember the experience at the store is highly curated and also the bright lighting above are unlike what most of us are going back home to. In a more subtle lit room I think it's more noticeable.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
For the record I did get mine fitted and see the glare at home now. You have to remember the experience at the store is highly curated and also the bright lighting above are unlike what most of us are going back home to. In a more subtle lit room I think it's more noticeable.
That’s exactly what the problem is. The glare is only evident in darker situations. In their demo spaces, there’s no way you’ll be able to tell.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
Yeah, I have it too. Like a white haziness at the edges of your vision, right? As others say, worse if watching something with a dark immersive background. Which is a shame because in all other ways watching something with a dark immersive background is incredible! Not sure it’s bad enough to ruin the experience entirely but it is a bit annoying…

Think it’s something they could improve with a software update or just a limitation of the hardware?

Last edited:
Reactions: aParkerMusic

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yeah, I have it too. Like a white haziness at the edges of your vision, right? As others say, worse if watching something with a dark immersive background. Which is a sha because in all other ways watching something with a dark immersive background is incredible! Not sure it’s bad enough to ruin the experience entirely but it is a bit annoying…

Think it’s something they could improve with a software update or just a limitation of the hardware?
For people experiencing this:

I don’t have one but I’m trying to see if this impacts the severity or changes the glare in some way.

Apparently you can manually adjust the lenses in the settings. I think it’s a fine adjustment of how far the physical screens are.

Can anyone who’s having this issue try adjusting this setting and report back on what effect (positive or negative) it has on the glare? I think it would be a good troubleshooting step and I’m not sure if anyone has tried it yet.

Reactions: arkitect

FlameLegend

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010

I don’t have one but I’m trying to see if this impacts the severity or changes the glare in some way.

Apparently you can manually adjust the lenses in the settings. I think it’s a fine adjustment of how far the physical screens are.

Can anyone who’s having this issue try adjusting this setting and report back on what effect (positive or negative) it has on the glare? I think it would be a good troubleshooting step and I’m not sure if anyone has tried it yet.
I’ve tried repeatedly, doesn’t change much. The last thing I can think of attempting is trying a prescription lens. I’ll bring mine over to the Apple Store to test this week. If that fails I’ll probably return it and hope for a better 2nd gen.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I don't have as much experience with VR headsets, but from reading the comments of people who do, the glare is inherent in the lens design of VR headsets these days. Not even mighty Apple can warp the laws of physics unfortunately.

It's not noticeable in bright settings. But, unfortunately, I don't want to bask in daylight at 10pm when I'm trying to watch a movie on my AVP.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

The problem is the lens adjustment is just a black screen with goggles. Once it lines up it allows you to double click the Digital Crown. I wish it was an image and once it was clear you could select it is good. It doesn’t really let you play around with it.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
I think if it’s something inherent in the design and I know there’s nothing I can do to fix it, I’ll probably be able to get past it. It’s certainly less annoying than the light that manages to bleed through my closed blinds reflecting off my TV when I try to watch a movie with dark scenes during the day and I’ve lived with that for years.

I think sometimes things become less annoying when you accept there’s nothing you can do to change them, and I’m betting the glare issue will be like that.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Do you have a recommended movie to try on Apple+?
You could watch anything that’s typical brightness (scenes with sunlight, etc) you’ve bought from iTunes, and watch it in the Cinema environment. That would be a good way to test. It’s meant to mimic the dark experience of a movie theater. I watch anything in there, and the white haziness along the bottom to side edges of my vof is pretty unenjoyable.

Reactions: DeepStuff

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah. It’s such an impressive device, I’m hoping I don’t too often find myself in the situation of dealing with the glare. We’ll see!

I think if it’s something inherent in the design and I know there’s nothing I can do to fix it, I’ll probably be able to get past it. It’s certainly less annoying than the light that manages to bleed through my closed blinds reflecting off my TV when I try to watch a movie with dark scenes during the day and I’ve lived with that for years.

I think sometimes things become less annoying when you accept there’s nothing you can do to change them, and I’m betting the glare issue will be like that.

Reactions: mdmt619

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
Yeah. It’s such an impressive device, I’m hoping I don’t too often find myself in the situation of dealing with the glare. We’ll see!
I think the test will be whether I watch movies in the immersive movie theatre mode or not. The glare is worse in that mode because the background is so dark, but the overall effect of the giant screen is stunning. I could reduce the glare if I don’t watch movies in that mode, so if I choose to watch movies in that mode anyway then I guess the glare can’t be bothering me too badly…

mdmt619

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2006
Has anyone had any luck with different light seals helping to minimize the internal glare?

I got a better fit seal that blocks out light leaking from around my temples that was causing some glare, but I wonder if a seal with a different depth might help with the glare that occurs in a totally dark room?

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
I can 100% guarantee you that you didn’t get it fitted in an Apple Store.

Set up an appointment and get your correct seal. I just saw 5 people come in here because of that. lol. Then magically, they are like oh wow…it’s much better now.
It's not magically - it's Apple dropping the ball again - if fitting the Vision Pro is that important Apple should not let them out without a fitting.

Reactions: arkitect and nfl46

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Has anyone had any luck with different light seals helping to minimize the internal glare?

I got a better fit seal that blocks out light leaking from around my temples that was causing some glare, but I wonder if a seal with a different depth might help with the glare that occurs in a totally dark room?
It has nothing to do with the light seal. Glare seems to be a problem with pancake lenses on all VR headsets.

Reactions: Roadcrew
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.