Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

totten76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Has anybody gone without a case on the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max? With the ceramic shield I'm curious how it holds up without a case and screen protector in case of a drop.

Been using my X without a screen protector for a couple years and sure it's got a couple minute scratches but no cracks. Back glass however is destroyed but the case and back glass have had significant changes.

Would just like to get some feedback on those who have gone without a case and what has happened to front and back glass without a case in event of a drop.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
I use a screen protector and a case when I’m at work, but just screen protector the rest of the time. I’ve dropped my pro and numerous times onto wood floor from 2-3’ with no case and haven’t had a problem. Had it slide off my center console to the floor of my truck no case as well recently when some idiot decided they needed to slam on their brakes to stop for the red light 250’ ahead of them with no damage.

on the other side of things, a co worker smashed the back of his 12pm 2 days after he got it. Didn’t drop it, only thing he can figure is he hit it with something while it was in his pocket

totten76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
I use a screen protector and a case when I’m at work, but just screen protector the rest of the time. I’ve dropped my pro and numerous times onto wood floor from 2-3’ with no case and haven’t had a problem. Had it slide off my center console to the floor of my truck no case as well recently when some idiot decided they needed to slam on their brakes to stop for the red light 250’ ahead of them with no damage.

on the other side of things, a co worker smashed the back of his 12pm 2 days after he got it. Didn’t drop it, only thing he can figure is he hit it with something while it was in his pocket

Thanks for sharing, always seems like it's the tiny accidents that cause the biggest damage.
My main concern is the bulkiness of the phone when trying to go for 1 handed use (how I use the phone 80% of the time). I've returned a couple Max's in the past to go with smaller form factors but my hands are by no means small and I feel like it's time to go with the bigger screen.
With the addition of a case I feel like it will be impossible to handle with 1 hand.

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I went caseless with my XS Max but always put a screen protector on it. No issues at all with the back glass and I dropped it several times.

I haven't had the 12 Pro Max long enough to determine if it's stronger than the XS Max but I have to assume it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: totten76

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I got my first phone with a camera bump last March when the SE 2020 came out, and I've used a case so that the bump is turned flush. But I fear that the 13 Pro camera bump (and lenses) are so extreme that the use of a case to make it flush would require...a very thick case. More likely would have a normal case and just get used to the wobble. Not that this is the most important factor on the list as I consider a 13 Pro vs. a 13 mini. Not even close. But it is on the list.

totten76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
I got my first phone with a camera bump last March when the SE 2020 came out, and I've used a case so that the bump is turned flush. But I fear that the 13 Pro camera bump (and lenses) are so extreme that the use of a case to make it flush would require...a very thick case. More likely would have a normal case and just get used to the wobble. Not that this is the most important factor on the list as I consider a 13 Pro vs. a 13 mini. Not even close. But it is on the list.
I agree, may've even just a fat bumper so you can use the phone if it's flat on a table....maybe I'll go without a case for a period of time just to check it out then upgrade to a case if necessary

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
It really looks like the 13 could be strong enough not to need a case but laying it on a table would be so annoying and since it will be always resting on the cameras I would kinda worry about scratching the lenses.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Has anybody gone without a case on the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max? With the ceramic shield I'm curious how it holds up without a case and screen protector in case of a drop.

Been using my X without a screen protector for a couple years and sure it's got a couple minute scratches but no cracks. Back glass however is destroyed but the case and back glass have had significant changes.

Would just like to get some feedback on those who have gone without a case and what has happened to front and back glass without a case in event of a drop.

I never use a case. Never have, never will. I follow four simple rules:
  • Front left pocket is dedicated to the phone. Nothing goes in there (not even receipts) except my phone and my hand.
  • I never set the phone down on hard surfaces.
  • I don't drop my phone. Since I don't use a case, my mind is more aware that my phone is vulnerable, which, I'm sure, leads to me not forgetting it's in my hand, holding it more protectively while in a crowd, etc.
  • I don't hand my phone to people if there's any chance they will violate any of the above rules.
Because of that, my phones are essentially 'like new' when I go to sell them/trade them in each year. I recognize these kinds of rules would be too cumbersome for a lot of folks, and they'd prefer to use a case, and that's a perfectly valid modality (indeed, it's the majority of phone users I would assume). But for those of us that value the ability to hold and interact with the phone in its natural state (instead of touching/feeling a $30 case all the time) more than the inconvenience of those rules, it works out great. :)

ps. there have been two times since June of 2006 that I damaged my phone. In neither situation would a case have helped.

Last edited:

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I have used a case on and off with my phone but I’d say 70+% of the time it’s been without. Never used a screen protector. Don’t see any scratches or dings. I do put it down on hard surfaces but only at home and only after giving it a wipe down. Where necessary I put a microfiber cloth, napkin, or tissue down and lay the phone on that. I did ask on here once if it was better to put the phone face up or down. I was told face up is best because the camera lenses are sapphire and less likely to scratch. So far that’s worked out for me.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I‘ve not used a case on my pro max but do use a e2e screen protector, and the phone is still in mint condition. I’ve had a few minor drops with no damage, so I’ve been lucky in that regard. Using a pro max, a case seems (to me) make the iPhone too bulky. I plan on going naked again with the 13 pro max as well.

njek

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
I've been caseless on my 12PM since launch day. Not a single scratch/mark, and I'm not the most careful of users. I'm getting the 13PM and not planning on using a case with that either. No screen protector either.

Reactions: seezar

aok75

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2021
I haven’t went more than 24 hours caseless, but I’m currently using a slim bumper, glass screen protector and rear glass protector, which in turn, make my device feel as if I have no case on it.
I like this idea.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Thanks for sharing, always seems like it's the tiny accidents that cause the biggest damage.
My main concern is the bulkiness of the phone when trying to go for 1 handed use (how I use the phone 80% of the time). I've returned a couple Max's in the past to go with smaller form factors but my hands are by no means small and I feel like it's time to go with the bigger screen.
With the addition of a case I feel like it will be impossible to handle with 1 hand.
It’s not. It takes some getting used to for sure. You learn what you can do and when with it and that makes it easier. You find ways to help you achieve it one handed if your other hand isn’t free. Some cases help, depending on their shape and grip. I use the phone naked quite a bit and don’t have any issues anymore. I’d say I have average sized male hands

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I don’t know how people manage without a case. I just took my 12 mini out of its case to try it and it’s so slippery that it almost flew straight out of my hand. With me it wouldn’t last a day in the real world.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I was using a MagSafe PopSocket on my 12PM since I had a PopSocket on my mini and loved it. The PopSocket actually made it harder to use one handed because my hand was fixed in one spot. Without the PopSocket I can shimmie the phone up and down and such. And I found that my hand would get tired and cramp from holding the heavy phone up with just a couple of fingers. After I stopped using the PopSocket usability is back to normal

Last edited:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I never use a case. Never have, never will. I follow four simple rules:
  • Front left pocket is dedicated to the phone. Nothing goes in there (not even receipts) except my phone and my hand.
  • I never set the phone down on hard surfaces.
  • I don't drop my phone. Since I don't use a case, my mind is more aware that my phone is vulnerable, which, I'm sure, leads to me not forgetting it's in my hand, holding it more protectively while in a crowd, etc.
  • I don't hand my phone to people if there's any chance they will violate any of the above rules.
Because of that, my phones are essentially 'like new' when I go to sell them/trade them in each year. I recognize these kinds of rules would be too cumbersome for a lot of folks, and they'd prefer to use a case, and that's a perfectly valid modality (indeed, it's the majority of phone users I would assume). But for those of us that value the ability to hold and interact with the phone in its natural state (instead of touching/feeling a $30 case all the time) more than the inconvenience of those rules, it works out great. :)

ps. there have been two times since June of 2006 that I damaged my phone. In neither situation would a case have helped.
After pondering a case for the humongous pro max I'm buying, your rules here help. I already have the same left pocket rule, nothing ever there but the phone...going to keep the others in mind and go naked for a year.

Reactions: eoblaed

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I don’t know how people manage without a case. I just took my 12 mini out of its case to try it and it’s so slippery that it almost flew straight out of my hand. With me it wouldn’t last a day in the real world.
This is my biggest fear too...maybe the textured glass will help?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
After pondering a case for the humongous pro max I'm buying, your rules here help. I already have the same left pocket rule, nothing ever there but the phone...going to keep the others in mind and go naked for a year.

It'd be interesting to get an update at the end of your year-long experiment!

Reactions: Iconoclysm

LennyFL

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
I'm going with a Pro Max with 512 storage. I'm thinking about maybe going to 1TB because of the increased video file sizes. Anyway that is a bunch of money, approx $1,500, to not put a case on it. I've always had an Otterbox Defender case on every phone I've ever had. I won't order my new phone until Otterbox has the new case available.

I've dropped my phone so many times i can't count them. Once I was running up a set of stairs from the Rental car drop off to the gates. I dropped the phone and it went end over end down an entire flight of concrete stairs, worked without a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.