Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I've been caseless on my 12PM since launch day. Not a single scratch/mark, and I'm not the most careful of users. I'm getting the 13PM and not planning on using a case with that either. No screen protector either.

I'm calling BS, you have to have at least one micro-scratch on the screen by now. Mine has several micro-scratches and it's never been dropped. Either you have bad eyesight or you aren't looking close enough.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
I don’t have any micro scratches on mine either, however I’m smart enough to put a screen protector on there since this darn phone cost me $1200 plus and I’m not gonna take any chances. ? screen protectors don’t cost that much and they don’t really take away any experiences on the screen either.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
I used a case for the first and only time with my iPhone 11. Cases destroy the beauty of the iPhone. I’ve never had a cracked screen. I’m on the upgrade program so I get a new phone each year. At the end of the year, it might have one or two small marks but still looks much better than anything I’ve seen with a case.

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
I always use a case devices are too expensive not to in my opinion. I also like the grip a case gives me when holding the device.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
I don’t know how people manage without a case. I just took my 12 mini out of its case to try it and it’s so slippery that it almost flew straight out of my hand. With me it wouldn’t last a day in the real world.
I was like that too and somehow after a couple days of no case I really like it. I’ve dropped it here am there with no issues. This glass can take a beating.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I think a case hides the full beauty of the phone. I'm looking forward to seeing the Sierra blue color on the back without anything else over it. It will look like a fine piece of jewelry. I'd rather take my chances and be prepared to get it repaired if I have a mishap.

Luis0180

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2020
Madrid
Case less always, except when going to gym. And even there I’m thinking about taking it case less too! (I’m using mini 12 and changing to mini 13, super easy with one hand)
Oh and as I use the MagSafe wallet when going out it improves a lot the gripping when using it.

ehrimen

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
I was renting iPhone 11 before and was using it without a case due to damage coverage by the renter.
Now I've got a iPhone 13 Pro and started using it directly with a case and I took off the case just to clean inside but oh-my-god I cannot put the case back.

This phone is just too handsome to hide it inside a case. As I have also an insurance for the damages & I think I will go caseless. The phone just looks - premium! With a case, it's just a phone.

Sid91

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2018
Has anybody gone without a case on the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max? With the ceramic shield I'm curious how it holds up without a case and screen protector in case of a drop.

Been using my X without a screen protector for a couple years and sure it's got a couple minute scratches but no cracks. Back glass however is destroyed but the case and back glass have had significant changes.

Would just like to get some feedback on those who have gone without a case and what has happened to front and back glass without a case in event of a drop.
How has the back glass changed compared to the X?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
How has the back glass changed compared to the X?

It’s now frosted, and has a much larger camera module sticking out surrounded by glass so maybe that’s their concern?

If anything it should be stronger than the glass used in the X as it’s completely flush with the frame.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
i'm more worried about the sides of the phone vs the glass on front/back.

i dropped my IP 12P from waste level onto tile and the glass was fine but there was a dent/paint chip on my nice blue coating that showed straight "aloe-mini-um". (or maybe its stainless steal, who knows either way it took a beating on a fall)

with that said, some cases you get for your phone can cost around $25-$30, if you are one of those that buy them (while having Apple care) that is 1/4 the cost of an incident...something to think about if you get a few cases a year.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I need a case that’s just a little grippier. I know that I’m in the 1% minority but my phone is a tool, not a fashion statement. I’d be buying this phone even if it was fugly, as long as it had the functionality.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
This is my conundrum with cases (as a now case + screen protector user)

I've had all of my iPhones without cases until now. Since the original iPhone all the way till this earlier year; when I shattered the back of my iPhone's rear glass on a fall from maybe 5 feet. It was a dumb mistake because it was in a jacket pocket and I thought about maybe placing it on a table instead of keeping it in the pocket. I picked up the jacket and unfolded it when it flew out and shattered. Brutal. No AppleCare, had to pay $600 for a new one. I hated it but it is what it is. I got an Apple leather case and Belkin screen protector on.

It's definitely not as nice than without. Although the Apple leather case with it's metal buttons is the next best thing since it does still feel premium. But it's nothing compared to the cold stainless steel and glass sandwich.

My gripe is this: Am I protecting this phone for resale value? Or to keep it scratch free? What's the point of it being pristine and scratch free if you can't even see the phone since it's inside the case? I guess one way is to use it like at home without a case or while you're laying in bed or something but at that point you're playing iPhone dress up lol. Am I using a case to not pay $600 for a future drop that may or may not happen? Maybe.

It does truly feel like buying and owning a very nice car, except that you're not allowed to look at it or drive it. LOL

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It does truly feel like buying and owning a very nice car, except that you're not allowed to look at it or drive it. LOL

Once in a while, you take the cover off the car, admire it for what it is, why and what you bought it for, and then promptly put back the cover.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I never use a case. Never have, never will. I follow four simple rules:
  • Front left pocket is dedicated to the phone. Nothing goes in there (not even receipts) except my phone and my hand.
  • I never set the phone down on hard surfaces.
  • I don't drop my phone. Since I don't use a case, my mind is more aware that my phone is vulnerable, which, I'm sure, leads to me not forgetting it's in my hand, holding it more protectively while in a crowd, etc.
  • I don't hand my phone to people if there's any chance they will violate any of the above rules.
Because of that, my phones are essentially 'like new' when I go to sell them/trade them in each year. I recognize these kinds of rules would be too cumbersome for a lot of folks, and they'd prefer to use a case, and that's a perfectly valid modality (indeed, it's the majority of phone users I would assume). But for those of us that value the ability to hold and interact with the phone in its natural state (instead of touching/feeling a $30 case all the time) more than the inconvenience of those rules, it works out great. :)

ps. there have been two times since June of 2006 that I damaged my phone. In neither situation would a case have helped.
You outlined my situation exactly! I have never once dropped a phone, case or not- and so this past year I went caseless with my 12 Mini and it's in pristine condition at this point. I do use a leather sleeve for it when I take it out of the house, though, to keep it from getting scratched in my camera bag, or to protect against any risk of it being banged around or dropped when out and about. But when it comes out of the sleeve to be used, I am ultra careful with it.

I am going to do the same with my 13 Pro when it arrives.

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
Once in a while, you take the cover off the car, admire it for what it is, why and what you bought it for, and then promptly put back the cover.
It’s not an investment piece, or something that will increase in value. It’s a tool meant to be used, and then recycled. Too many people treat phones as if they are fragile. The main reason is because most people who buy iPhones can’t really afford them. If it weren’t for financing and subsidies, most people wouldn’t even own a $1k+ phone.

Reactions: ericwn

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It’s not an investment piece, or something that will increase in value. It’s a tool meant to be used, and then recycled. Too many people treat phones as if they are fragile. The main reason is because most people who buy iPhones can’t really afford them. If it weren’t for financing and subsidies, most people wouldn’t even own a $1k+ phone.

1. My remarks were in context to what @Motionblurrr said. It seems you mistook them for something else.
2. Would you say millionaires and billionaires care less for their babies just because they can afford to have several as against a middle-income couple who had one after countless prayers? It is not about affordability, it is only about value people place in the money they spend on something and it is about the thing itself. I do not care if my toothbrush gets scratched. I care if my bicycle does, I care if my scooter and car do. The tires will degrade over time, that is their job. I am not a fool to want pristine tires for 5 years.

But gadgets can be kept in a pristine state, or they can be thrown about and abused. It is a choice people make, depending on their nature, and for some, it is even a fashion statement to say they don't care. In context of an iPhone, people are often torn because the devices look so beautiful and people are split between seeing that beauty they paid for or covering it with a case to preserve that beauty for the while they keep the device with them. Nobody loves scratches and dents they will see everyday.

Really, people should stop bringing affordability in the picture every time they see someone caring more for something than they do. If at all, somehow, it points to their own perceptions and not in a good way.

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
1. My remarks were in context to what @Motionblurrr said. It seems you mistook them for something else.
2. Would you say millionaires and billionaires care less for their babies just because they can afford to have several as against a middle-income couple who had one after countless prayers? It is not about affordability, it is only about value people place in the money they spend on something and it is about the thing itself. I do not care if my toothbrush gets scratched. I care if my bicycle does, I care if my scooter and car do. The tires will degrade over time, that is their job. I am not a fool to want pristine tires for 5 years.

But gadgets can be kept in a pristine state, or they can be thrown about and abused. It is a choice people make, depending on their nature, and for some, it is even a fashion statement to say they don't care. In context of an iPhone, people are often torn because the devices look so beautiful and people are split between seeing that beauty they paid for or covering it with a case to preserve that beauty for the while they keep the device with them. Nobody loves scratches and dents they will see everyday.

Really, people should stop bringing affordability in the picture every time they see someone caring more for something than they do. If at all, somehow, it points to their own perceptions and not in a good way.
Imagine comparing a parents love for their children with someone’s fondness of a phone. A material object that can be forever replaced. A phone, that 1 year after its release, the owner will bad mouth and act like it was never competent of anything.

People baby objects they can’t afford to replace. Get a grip.

Reactions: ericwn and jm31828

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Really great to hear everyone's feedback.
Definitely going to go caseless, this is my first time with AppleCare (13 Pro Max) so figure the deductible for a glass replacement is very reasonable if something happens.
Now to find a suitable Magsafe Car Mount...
The belkin one is pretty awesome and works well. Only downside is it does not charge but personally I would rather plug it in. Got a 13pm with ot and coming from iphone 8

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
No case since the original iPhone.

I do put on a clear egrip sticker on the back to help with slipperiness.
What sticker if you don’t mind me asking? Got a leather apple case for my sierra blue 13pm and will be going back. It feels cheap and while it adds more grip it is not worth the $60

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Imagine comparing a parents love for their children with someone’s fondness of a phone. A material object that can be forever replaced. A phone, that 1 year after its release, the owner will bad mouth and act like it was never competent of anything.

People baby objects they can’t afford to replace. Get a grip.

People abuse what/ who they don't value. Simple as that. It is not about affordability.

Reactions: richard13

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
People abuse what/ who they don't value. Simple as that. It is not about affordability.

I agree. I baby my iPhones and can afford them. I don’t feel like going to the Apple store to get the screen replaced or the phone for something that could’ve been prevented by using a screen protector and case. I also don’t have time to just up and go. I’m taking a chance using a bumper on my 12 Pro Max, but I’m also using a glass screen protector, glass protector on the back as well as lens protectors, and have AppleCare+. I like having the peace and mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.