Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I would dearly love to go commando but in ~10 years of iPhones I’ve probably never gone a week without dropping it. Sometimes twice a day. I’ve always had silicone cases but in many hundreds of drops have never lost one.

maybe the 20 will be Dave-proof.

Empath_Energy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
I have used all my phones without a case for a few years now. I have used 6 phones with out cases. Only 1 of them cracked was the V30 and it was just the back, not the display.

It was on my lap and forgot it was there when I got up to get away from a yellow jacket. Lol! Besides some unusual circumstance like that, then I rarely drop my phones. I am very careful with them.

I rarely ever drop my phones. I am extremely careful with them. My personal philosophy on it is why cover up such a beautiful piece of craftsmanship?! Thats like buying a lambo, or Ferrari, or Porsche, then putting a ugly car bra on it.

I will say I did drop my Note 20 Ultra once about 3 feet above the ground onto tile floor, display face down, and was completely fine. That gorilla victus glass is amazing. So I am sure Apples newer Ceramic Shield glass is just as good too.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Has anybody gone without a case on the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max? With the ceramic shield I'm curious how it holds up without a case and screen protector in case of a drop.

Been using my X without a screen protector for a couple years and sure it's got a couple minute scratches but no cracks. Back glass however is destroyed but the case and back glass have had significant changes.

Would just like to get some feedback on those who have gone without a case and what has happened to front and back glass without a case in event of a drop.
I have a iPhone X and have gone naked (case-less) the whole four year's time but I dropped it once last year and cracked the back glass. That was fine until I dropped it in a lake and then water got into it. FaceID no longer works but the rest of it is fine. I'm upgrading and looking forward to a nice looking phone again (that can be submerged in water). I'm still going case-less again. I'll be more careful this time... :)

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It really looks like the 13 could be strong enough not to need a case but laying it on a table would be so annoying and since it will be always resting on the cameras I would kinda worry about scratching the lenses.
I always place a paper towel under my iPhone when I rest it on a table. Of course, a paper towel is not always available.

A_Flying_Panda

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody gone without a case on the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max? With the ceramic shield I'm curious how it holds up without a case and screen protector in case of a drop.

Been using my X without a screen protector for a couple years and sure it's got a couple minute scratches but no cracks. Back glass however is destroyed but the case and back glass have had significant changes.

Would just like to get some feedback on those who have gone without a case and what has happened to front and back glass without a case in event of a drop.

just use it ceaseless, when you break the back glass, you put on a non-transparent case.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I personally wouldn't go caseless. You are only one drop away from chipping it or getting a few nicks on the device. I know it shouldn't matter as it's just a tool but it would bother me.

I used to go caseless up to the iPhone 7 (which was forever sliding out of my pocket onto the floor), but when I started spending over £1000 on the iPhone X and subsequent yearly upgrades I felt like I needed to take a bit more care with them. YMMV.

Reactions: macintoshmac

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I certainly prefer the look of it without a case but I find it much easier to hold with a case.

I would rather have scratches than worry about putting it on a table. It’s beautiful but it’s a tool, not an objet d’art.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
In the beginning, I never had a case. My attitude was that I am going to replace this device in 2 years so the heck with it. Had a case for my last two phones up until the one on my iPhone X got a crack in it so I took it off. Forgot how beautiful this phone was up until then! No cracks or scratches other than micro abrasions on the sides. So, I may just "go naked" again with the iPhone 13 Pro. Will have to see how fragile it seems when I get it.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I go caseless. The phone is very durable. To me the only thing you need a case for is drops, if you have kids and such. Not day to day usage or sticking it your pocket or bag.

Cases also add bulk and weight. Also with the squared off design, the cases look bad on the phone, at least from a first person POV to me. I didn't feel that way with curved design.

Last edited:

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I guess I'm just really careful. I've never used a case or a screen protector with any of my iPhones from my first iPhone 4 through to iPhone X, 11 Pro and 12 Pro Max. The only issue I had was some slight scratches on the back of my iPhone 5s that knocked down the trade-in price slightly but all my latest phones including my current 12 Pro Max have remained pristine.

I keep my phone in my right front trouser pocket and always make sure my keys are in my other (left front) pocket. The only things that ever sometimes share a pocket with my iPhone are a handkerchief and, since the pandemic, a face mask. I never carry cash anymore so coins are no longer a consideration but in the old days those also went in the pocket that had my keys in it not in the pocket with my iPhone.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I never use a case. Never have, never will. I follow four simple rules:
  • Front left pocket is dedicated to the phone. Nothing goes in there (not even receipts) except my phone and my hand.
  • I never set the phone down on hard surfaces.
  • I don't drop my phone. Since I don't use a case, my mind is more aware that my phone is vulnerable, which, I'm sure, leads to me not forgetting it's in my hand, holding it more protectively while in a crowd, etc.
  • I don't hand my phone to people if there's any chance they will violate any of the above rules.
Because of that, my phones are essentially 'like new' when I go to sell them/trade them in each year. I recognize these kinds of rules would be too cumbersome for a lot of folks, and they'd prefer to use a case, and that's a perfectly valid modality (indeed, it's the majority of phone users I would assume). But for those of us that value the ability to hold and interact with the phone in its natural state (instead of touching/feeling a $30 case all the time) more than the inconvenience of those rules, it works out great. :)

ps. there have been two times since June of 2006 that I damaged my phone. In neither situation would a case have helped.
I totally agree but im not as brave as you.

It Constantly fascinates me when people drop their phones. How is that even possible as an adult with average motor control.

My phone lives in my left pocket alone - nothing else in there... however... I do get paranoid that you night find a pesky bit of grit or sand that somehow works its way into that pocket and that's deadly for the phone or screen.

I usually put a case and screen protector on it immediately. In fact my 13 pro max is due this week like many.. however I already have the protector and case ready to go.

Part of me hates the fact I always do this as Whenever I take the phone out my case for a quick clean I forget how nice it looks and feels and its a shame I never experience the phone au naturel.

I did wonder about the claims on the 'shield' glass from the 12 onwards.. so had a close look at the 13s in the apple store. To my surprise the store phones are riddled with scratches - all of them. And these phones haven't been roughly handled away from the 3 foot max they can move away from the charge stand in store. Where have these screen scratches come from I wonder... anyway that's enough for me to NOT trust the hype on the shield glass and put a protector on mine again sadly.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
.. so had a close look at the 13s in the apple store. To my surprise the store phones are riddled with scratches - all of them. And these phones haven't been roughly handled away from the 3 foot max they can move away from the charge stand in store. Where have these screen scratches come from I wonder...

Interesting question. I wonder if you might underestimate the level of abuse they get. People playing with them and leaving them face (screen) down on the table afterwards only for someone else to then slide it out of the way afterwards? Not good it the table has any grit on it. People pressing overly hard when dragging across the screen with long maybe broken fingernails? Also, even though the phones are tethered, you can still put one in your pocket. I have done that more than once in an Apple Store. When considering going up to a bigger phone I have stood next to a display station and the tether was easily long enough for me to slip a display model into my front trouser pocket to get an idea of how the weight and size felt in my pocket. Someone doing that with keys or other sharp objects could easily scratch it.

I'm afraid that, obviously with the exception of all you fine people here, it is in my opinion that it is all too easy to underestimate what complete idiots a non-trivial percentage of the general public can be on occasion. If I'm honest I've done a few pretty dumb things myself now and then.

Rugburn

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
When my elderly mom first got her first iPhone, it was caseless. But she used to wrap it in a soft towel every time she'd put it on her purse. The phone would ring. She'd carefully unwrap it from the towel and answer the phone. Its the most pristine 5c you ever did see! She still uses it with a new battery.

And this talk of "it strictly stays in my left pocket" and then saying "I have no idea how other adults drop their phones". Well, I had no idea how many adults wear a "left pocket shirt" every single day. I guess that nixes all of us females. My husband has a few dress shirts, but they are not his everyday shirt. I'm kind of fascinated that so many of you have such fastidious wardrobe choices!

I can think of a couple times when I've dropped my phone. Most recently when I was in my "weekend uniform" of a tee shirt and gym shorts w/o pockets. Juggling a housekey, iPhone, and a dog on a leash. Silly me for not putting on a pocketed shirt for a walk around the block that day.

I guess no left pocket means cases-for-life for me!

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Interesting question. I wonder if you might underestimate the level of abuse they get. People playing with them and leaving them face (screen) down on the table afterwards only for someone else to then slide it out of the way afterwards? Not good it the table has any grit on it. People pressing overly hard when dragging across the screen with long maybe broken fingernails? Also, even though the phones are tethered, you can still put one in your pocket. I have done that more than once in an Apple Store. When considering going up to a bigger phone I have stood next to a display station and the tether was easily long enough for me to slip a display model into my front trouser pocket to get an idea of how the weight and size felt in my pocket. Someone doing that with keys or other sharp objects could easily scratch it.

I'm afraid that, obviously with the exception of all you fine people here, it is in my opinion that it is all too easy to underestimate what complete idiots a non-trivial percentage of the general public can be on occasion. If I'm honest I've done a few pretty dumb things myself now and then.
obviously I meant the 12s in the store :)

However my point is that the so called Ceramic Shield should at least let the phones hold up to light to medium abuse without scratch damage.

Its supposed to provide better drop AND scratch resistance after all.

To my mind, any action they get in the store environment even if that's being pocketed or slid across a table top should not really be enough to scratch the 'Ceramic Shield' glass. Especially when you consider the marketing video they released with the 12 that showed the phone being thrown into a bag with lots of other objects - I just don't see how if this is the case that it would have not scratched as the shop units certainly don't get that level of abuse.

Its a shame as id love to not have to baby my phone as much as I do and I always hate the screen protector bulk but I still don't trust it to stay 100% blemish free with careful use.

totten76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Really great to hear everyone's feedback.
Definitely going to go caseless, this is my first time with AppleCare (13 Pro Max) so figure the deductible for a glass replacement is very reasonable if something happens.
Now to find a suitable Magsafe Car Mount...

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I've always gone with a case. My iPhone Xs is pristine looking and it's really going to show on the metal parts come trade in. Latterly I've been using an UNBREAKable clear case since my original Apple coloured one broke at a corner and I've gone for the Apple clear Magsafe case for my new iPhone 13 Pro which should be turning up next Friday (hopefully).
You don't get a huge amount on Apple trade-ins but I think my Xs looks impeccable.

You also have to remember a case usually lifts the screen a little bit off surfaces if you put it face down. We'll have to see if this is more of a factor given the new layer that Apple is adding but mine is totally free of wear.

Really quite stoked about finally upgrading btw :)

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
No case since the original iPhone.

I do put on a clear egrip sticker on the back to help with slipperiness.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida

I use no case or screen protector but it depends on what type of work you do!

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I don’t like to own stuff that I have to baby. I park the Lexus near the store, not on the other side of the lot, knowing it will get dings but that’s the life of a car. 2 years and it doesn’t have anything significant but it will.

I won’t have a phone that if I hand it to a friend I have to worry that he might set it down on a rough surface or slip it into his pocket with his keys. If he drops it I’d rather it bounce than break. Since I don’t like to worry about inanimate objects I’m better off having a case.

An exception is crystal wine and cocktail glasses - I’m very careful but over the years we’ve lost a few beautiful pieces. No big deal - they’re just things.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I never had a case until the iPhone X. The glass back seems so fragile. So I get the clear case every year now.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I've tried going caseless for the past few generations of iPhone Pro Max. I do think the phone looks better and feels more premium without a case. Haven't had any issue with it in terms of damaging the phone but to me the camera bump becomes rather annoying and the polished stainless steel edge of the iPhone 12 Pro Max feels both somewhat slippery and it becomes a fingerprint magnet so I just end up with a Apple Leather Case after a while regardless.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max becomes even heavier. Not problem for me personally, I don't mind the weight. But I suspect that will make holding the device without a case even worse.

zokstar

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2016
Sydney
Only recently i went caseless but i got apple care+ for the phone. If it wasnt for apple care option then 100% case+screen protector

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.