Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
been considering the same thing! Every review started out negative on YouTube but there appears to be some positive on here

Yes! Same **** happened last year. I was set on not trying the Pixel 3 and then it became one of my favorite phones of the year.

Reactions: jamezr

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Did you keep it?

I ended up trying a few phones so I had the Note 10 and then 11 Pro.

The intrigue for me is that I could sell all my Apple Gear and gain a good $1,000 if not more. I do still think Apple knocked it out of the park this year so it’s going to be tough for me to move away, but giving it a good try.

Reactions: jamezr and yui4

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Well I'm a month or so in and if anything I like my pixel 4 more than ever. It's just so good to use.
I much prefer over the iPhones I had for the last 10 years.
My only concern is if they ever stop making pixel phones as I don't want anything else now.

And the battery has never let me down yet. Plenty for real life use.
Been a while since I posted here. I have been with iOS since the iPhone X release, and recently upgraded to an iPhone Pro 11 Max. It was simple, routine, reliable, and undoubtedly a great phone.

I recently changed job locations, which essentially negated the benefits of the apple interconnected ecosystem (phone, watch, ipad, mac, etc) for ~10-11 hours in my day, as in I don't have my own technology on our around me during said time. What I wanted was a "smarter" phone, and due to my disconnected work life, I didn't seen the benefits of owning and paying for all those iOS devices.

I picked up the Pixel XL 4 on the recent amazon promotion and I am pretty smitten. The reasons I left android have been corrected within this version of the pixel, and the things that used to pull me back to android (and that I still missed) are all the better now. It also doesn't hurt that in buying the pixel, selling my iPhone, etc I'll save a good chunk of change.

Honestly, the biggest surprise is how much I don't miss the ecosystem. I love my iPad pro, but that is probably the only device I "couldn't do without". Honestly, "diversifying" my technology investments seems has been an enjoyable experience.

Man, you guys ARE NOT helping me out! After 4 years on iOS I'm really wanting to get back to Android and save a ton of money in the process. I agree that the things I didn't like about Android in the past have been rectified and the things that I like about iOS aren't really all that important anymore and they just continually cost me extra money. I just can't seem to get myself to pull the trigger!

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I also tried Kiwi internet browser, man it is great. It has a true dark mode, every website is dark theme and the colors of the content are also as they should be. LastPass also works with Kiwi. I don’t want to use Samsung browser on my Pixel, if you haven’t already, check out Kiwi if you want a functional browser that has built in true dark mode!

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Man, you guys ARE NOT helping me out! After 4 years on iOS I'm really wanting to get back to Android and save a ton of money in the process. I agree that the things I didn't like about Android in the past have been rectified and the things that I like about iOS aren't really all that important anymore and they just continually cost me extra money. I just can't seem to get myself to pull the trigger!

After getting the 3XL last year on the Travel Promo and ending up with a 128gb for net $150, its hard for me to want to pay over $500.
I like this Pixel more and more and when a 4XL is down to what I would want to pay I may get one or not. I like touch ID, still have a 7 Plus.

There is no reason to overpay for an iphone ever again!

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Not talking about being hacked, just privacy of ordinary man. Everyone understands that google is but selling your data right? No flamewar intended...

Reactions: Klyster

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
[automerge]1579856867[/automerge]
Not talking about being hacked, just privacy of ordinary man. Everyone understands that google is but selling your data right? No flamewar intended...
I was just being a dick, but the Bezo's thing is worrying...to all..

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

I agree, and not looking to start a debate ... just a thought to ponder. Every year, Google pays Apple over $10 billion in order to be the default search engine on Apple devices. Google collects the data, Apple readily accepts the money. Does anyone really believe that Google doesn't do exactly the same thing with the data from the Apple devices?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The sales look nice and I’m glad everyone so far seems happy with their Pixels. Ordinarily I’d have taken advantage of the sales but I’m pretty well busy with my Note 10+ which has its sim back from my Pixel 2 and my 11 Pro. I’m actually hoping to hold onto my current setup for another year. It isn’t fun to do that when you’re a phone nut like me, but I am looking at other expenses this year. I am a bit concerned though that my 11 Pro can get kind of laggy. Same as my husband’s. I think Apple shorted us on RAM???

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
@Aneres11 You're perhaps the best person to ask. How's the Pixel with Face Unlock for banking apps? I don't think I could return to a Pixel until AMEX, Lloyd's & Barclays are supported.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
@Aneres11 You're perhaps the best person to ask. How's the Pixel with Face Unlock for banking apps? I don't think I could return to a Pixel until AMEX, Lloyd's & Barclays are supported.

Not supported for Barclays yet. I don't know about the others.
I don't mind stabbing a pin in too much for my banking app, but it would be nice to have it sooner rather than later.

I only have two apps so far that utilise it.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Not supported for Barclays yet. I don't know about the others.
I don't mind stabbing a pin in too much for my banking app, but it would be nice to have it sooner rather than later.

I only have two apps so far that utilise it.
Barclays isn't so bad with a 5 digit pin. But Lloyd's & Halifax with the 3 random digits from a password were a pain!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Well I got the 4 XL last night. Feels like a clear upgrade from the 3.

The only issue so far was that even after turning off iMessage and even deregistering it, iPhone users weren't able to text me. My girlfriend had to delete the thread and turn iMessage on and off to get it to work. But I put that more on Apple than anything.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Is this iMessage problem when moving away from iPhone common? I've never even deregistered my number when switching and had no problems.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I've rarely had that issue. I shouldn't have even had to deregister as I turned iMessage off in settings. Must be Apple's way of trying to tell me I'm making the wrong decision.

You definitely shouldn't have to do that. What I've done in the past is turn it off for a couple days and continue to text the people I normally text. It seems to help. But it's ridiculous that you even have to do that.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
You definitely shouldn't have to do that. What I've done in the past is turn it off for a couple days and continue to text the people I normally text. It seems to help. But it's ridiculous that you even have to do that.
Right? Like I get there logic behind iMessage and all but I really think that Apple could probably do something about it, but refuse to.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So I stand corrected. I thought that the idea of bypassing the lock screen on face unlock was a horrible idea, but after a few hours, I'm sold. It's so quick. And I can still read my notifications quickly by swiping down immediately after unlocking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.