Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Agree with this post wholeheartedly. Finally with the settings tuned down just right and 90hz off, I'm getting anywhere between 12-14 hours per day, which is plenty for my every day usage. Since Podcasts and Spotify seem to be the final things taking up so much battery on my Pixel 4, I started to use those apps on my iPad Pro, exclusively, and it has extended the life of my Pixel 4.
I haven't turned anything off and I stream podcasts for hours and hours each day. Maybe your app is a battery hog. I use pocket casts.
My screen on time isn't super high. But I find the battery basically the same as my iPhone X's or my wife's 11 pro in real life use.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I also had the Nexus 5 and 6. Always loved those phones. Jumped to iOS with the 6s Plus back in December of 2015 and have basically only used iOS since then. My wife use an S10 and every time I mess with it I really miss being able to do anything with my phone other than arrange icons! I also don’t like the extortionist prices of Apple.

How’s the battery for you on the 4? I was looking at the XL because of battery but I prefer the smaller phone.
My phone goes on the pixel wireless stand every night regardless of the battery % as did my iPhone 11 Pro. Both always lasted me a full day while using them the same amount during the day. The iPhone probably was left with more battery but as long as it lasts a day I'm not bothered.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
so I just bought a ''in mint condition" 3 week old Pixel 4XL for just €625 (incl shipping).
I think that's a pretty good deal for a 4XL.

How are all satisfied (or not) with the battery? I hardly use any social media apps, only Facebook once in a while and no other social media apps.

With normal to heavy use, do you all go through the day without charging again halfday?

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
so I just bought a ''in mint condition" 3 week old Pixel 4XL for just €625 (incl shipping).

How are all satisfied (or not) with the battery? I hardly use any social media apps, only Facebook once in a while and no other social media apps.

With normal to heavy use, do you all go through the day without charging again halfday?
With heavy use I would have to top mine off to get through the rest of the night. I have a wireless charging phone holder in my car so all my phones go on that when I am driving. I never have to worry about battery life ever again lol

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Battery is great for me (never thought I'd say that!).
I do, however charge mine in the car to and from work just because I have to plug in for Android Auto. But last weekend when I didn't go anywhere I had over 6.5 hours SoT and battery was still at 15% at bed time which is great!

Reactions: jamezr and Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I do, however charge mine in the car to and from work just because I have to plug in for Android Auto. But last weekend when I didn't go anywhere I had over 6.5 hours SoT and battery was still at 15% at bed time which is great!

sounds promissing! :)

Do you keep all feautures (like motion sense) enabled or certain disabled?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just curious. Has the Face ID implementation hit apps yet or is it still a big frustration. Like the Wells Fargo app for example.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just curious. Has the Face ID implementation hit apps yet or is it still a big frustration. Like the Wells Fargo app for example.
Not sure about the Wells Fargo app. But the BofA app works with it

Edit:
There is a thread on AC for Face unlock

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I just for the first time turned on "motion sense" but configured it to only mute incoming calls, ready the phone for face unlock when I reach for it, and my favorite, the AOD that turns off when I am away from the phone. When I come back to my desk but don't reach for the phone, it still turns on the AOD. This is so cool, as I don't need AOD when I'm away from my phone / desk and it saves battery. The ability to detect proximity yet have awareness that I'm not reaching for it amazes me.

I don't understand the hate for motion sense now that I've tried it. The above three behaviors are so practical / functional for me.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Does motion sense help with the repeatedly needed swipe up to unlock the device? My XL 2 sometimes takes about a half dozen swipe ups before it realizes I want to unlock it. Really annoying especially one handed in the cold trying to do something.

XL 3 did this, also noticed on 3a. But my XL 3 is junk

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Does motion sense help with the repeatedly needed swipe up to unlock the device? My XL 2 sometimes takes about a half dozen swipe ups before it realizes I want to unlock it. Really annoying especially one handed in the cold trying to do something.

XL 3 did this, also noticed on 3a. But my XL 3 is junk
Motion sense with face unlock and all I have to do is pick up my phone and look at it and I am at my homescreen. It is so fast! No swiping required!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Motion sense with face unlock and all I have to do is pick up my phone and look at it and I am at my homescreen. It is so fast! No swiping required!

Curious, since you have the swiping disabled, have you had any accidental unlocks?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Oh looks like my Starbucks app is the first one to update with face unlock!
Nice surprise when I topped up £10 onto my gift card through the phone and it authorised with my face!
:)

Reactions: jamezr and yui4

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sounds like the change from the Pixel 4 regular to the XL has really made a huge difference in overall satisfaction for you!

Reactions: Aneres11

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
been considering the same thing! Every review started out negative on YouTube but there appears to be some positive on here
Well I'm a month or so in and if anything I like my pixel 4 more than ever. It's just so good to use.
I much prefer over the iPhones I had for the last 10 years.
My only concern is if they ever stop making pixel phones as I don't want anything else now.

And the battery has never let me down yet. Plenty for real life use.

Reactions: yui4

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I’ll struggle getting rid of my note 10+ though if I like the pixel as I really like that phone.

#firstworldproblems ?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Been a while since I posted here. I have been with iOS since the iPhone X release, and recently upgraded to an iPhone Pro 11 Max. It was simple, routine, reliable, and undoubtedly a great phone.

I recently changed job locations, which essentially negated the benefits of the apple interconnected ecosystem (phone, watch, ipad, mac, etc) for ~10-11 hours in my day, as in I don't have my own technology on our around me during said time. What I wanted was a "smarter" phone, and due to my disconnected work life, I didn't seen the benefits of owning and paying for all those iOS devices.

I picked up the Pixel XL 4 on the recent amazon promotion and I am pretty smitten. The reasons I left android have been corrected within this version of the pixel, and the things that used to pull me back to android (and that I still missed) are all the better now. It also doesn't hurt that in buying the pixel, selling my iPhone, etc I'll save a good chunk of change.

Honestly, the biggest surprise is how much I don't miss the ecosystem. I love my iPad pro, but that is probably the only device I "couldn't do without". Honestly, "diversifying" my technology investments seems has been an enjoyable experience.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
been considering the same thing! Every review started out negative on YouTube but there appears to be some positive on here

Thats not uncommon for Pixel phones. They release with bugs and average performance due to specs, but after a couple months of patches Google usually irons things out and you're left with a great device. IMO thats even more reason to not buy a Pixel phone on release.

When I saw recent Amazon discounts I might have picked one up if they included the 128GB version but in 2020 Im not getting saddled with a 64 GB phone. Its just too restrictive for me. Also, the s20 is around the corner and looks to be a monster.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.