Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
You should ask them....most are getting security updates in a timely manner. But Samsung said the S8 and N8 wasn't on their Android 10 roadmap. The last 2 months my Note 10+ has received the monthly security updates before my Pixel 4XL. With project treble OEMs can push out updates sooner than in the past.

Security updates are good, but I was meaning the software update. There is no reason a two year old phone should not receive a true software update, especially the Note 8. Just sayin.

And I have asked them because I know a few owners that always talks about it, let alone android central.
[automerge]1577552457[/automerge]
But they do..

Speaking of MY experience tho. Never knew of PWM until iPhone X.

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Looks alright to me. If the 4a XL keeps the same camera quality & has great battery life, it'll be a very good budget option. But unless you really need that telephoto lens, the 3a XL is a much better buy.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Yeah for whatever reason the Pixel 4 missed the mark big time this year. Sigh... When will Google learn people want form over function.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Since we've reached January and my Pixel 2 XL is still going strong, I've decided to abandon plans to get the 4 XL.

My partner is now interested in the 4a though, so will follow that with intrigue after leaks this weekend!

Plus Pixel 5 will leak super early as per usual, so I'm sure we'll know all about it by July :D

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I might be the only only lol but I really love my P4XL. It has a great user experience and a great camera.
Love the notifications on the AOD and tight integration with all the Google apps.

Can't wait to try some of the Android 11 betas coming the spring :)

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I might be the only only lol but I really love my P4XL. It has a great user experience and a great camera.
Love the notifications on the AOD and tight integration with all the Google apps.

Sounds like you got comfortable with the width? Debating getting one and that stood out to me as well.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sounds like you got comfortable with the width? Debating getting one and that stood out to me as well.
Yeah....I got used to it i guess. There are just too many good things about this phone to let the 2 negatives (battery life and narrow) hold it back. The battery life has gotten a little better since the December security update.

Reactions: nospleen

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

I'm with you, also really enjoy my 4 XL. From now on I'm buying the flagship Pixel at steep discount on black Friday rather than spend maybe $100 less for the (a) models. The user experience is night and day for me.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I'm with you, also really enjoy my 4 XL. From now on I'm buying the flagship Pixel at steep discount on black Friday rather than spend maybe $100 less for the (a) models. The user experience is night and day for me.
That’s the way to do it. It baffles me how many Americans still bought the 4 the day it was released when most people knew that the 3 had a steep discount on Black Friday. If they just waited a few more weeks, they could have saved $400 if they bought the phone at Best Buy on Black Friday. It’s truly baffling.

(Stanford had an experiment a few decades ago dealing with instant gratification. Children were presented with candy. They were told that they could have the candy now, but if they didn’t take the candy and if they waited for five minutes instead, they could have double the amount of candy. After, the children were monitored for many years by the scientists who conducted the experiment. The ones who chose to wait were more successful in school than the ones who chose to eat the candy immediately.)

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
That’s the way to do it. It baffles me how many Americans still bought the 4 the day it was released when most people knew that the 3 had a steep discount on Black Friday. If they just waited a few more weeks, they could have saved $400 if they bought the phone at Best Buy on Black Friday. It’s truly baffling.

(Stanford had an experiment a few decades ago dealing with instant gratification. Children were presented with candy. They were told that they could have the candy now, but if they didn’t take the candy and if they waited for five minutes instead, they could have double the amount of candy. After, the children were monitored for many years by the scientists who conducted the experiment. The ones who chose to wait were more successful in school than the ones who chose to eat the candy immediately.)
I don't think that's it at all. Most people have zero clue about what's going on in terms of phones. They aren't so desperate to get the new phone that they don't mind losing $400 or whatever the black Friday pride reduction is. They go in to buy a phone after seeing a commercial or get talked into it by a salesman. People on forums like this are far from the norm.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I don't think that's it at all. Most people have zero clue about what's going on in terms of phones. They aren't so desperate to get the new phone that they don't mind losing $400 or whatever the black Friday pride reduction is. They go in to buy a phone after seeing a commercial or get talked into it by a salesman. People on forums like this are far from the norm.
Salesmen/women absolutely talk crap just to make a sale from the average buyer. I know someone who was explicitly told no iPhones were due out, 3 weeks before the keynote, so they could sell them an XR. They knew damn well the 11 range was imminent!

So the average buyer has to rely on what they're told in shops for the most part.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I was referring to people who knew about last year’s BF sale and still bought the phone on day one. There were plenty of people bragging about buying the 4 at r/Pixel and other sites even though they knew a steep discount was just a few weeks away. It just seems like such a ridiculous thing to do. I understand being oblivious to the upcoming discount—but to still buy the phone at full price when you actually know about the discount? Even if you’re a millionaire, it’s such a dumb thing to do. There isn’t one purchase I make without doing research first, no matter what the purchase is or how ignorant I am of the item/topic. I was just surprised, that’s all. It’s a good case study on instant gratification and human psychology. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
but to still buy the phone at full price when you actually know about the discount? Even if you’re a millionaire, it’s such a dumb thing to do. There isn’t one purchase I make without doing research first
As if a millionaire is going to hold off buying something they really want by a few weeks because "last year it had a few hundred off on black Friday"

Also, maybe they're too busy making millions to know what Black Friday deals a smartphone had the year before.

Reactions: jamezr

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Do most people think Samsung finally topped the Pixel in the camera department with the 10 series?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
As if a millionaire is going to hold off buying something they really want by a few weeks because "last year it had a few hundred off on black Friday"

Also, maybe they're too busy making millions to know what Black Friday deals a smartphone had the year before.
Yes, the smart ones would. I know a few who make close to that who are extremely careful about their purchases.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Yes, the smart ones would. I know a few who make close to that who are extremely careful about their purchases.
Why does that make you smart? If you can easily afford something because you're seriously wealthy, why deny yourself something you really want for the sake of a "possible" saving of a couple of hundred? It's hardly being frivolous with money.

Reactions: zonazolazia

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Why does that make you smart? If you can easily afford something because you're seriously wealthy, why deny yourself something you really want for the sake of a "possible" saving of a couple of hundred? It's hardly being frivolous with money.
I disagree. I’m probably too extreme in my views on this topic, but any time you can save money, save money.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I disagree. I’m probably too extreme in my views on this topic, but any time you can save money, save money.
What's the point of earning lots of money if you're going to penny pinch? Might as well give it all to charity if you're rich and that tight.

Reminds me of those who win tens of millions on the lottery and change absolutely nothing. Pointless playing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.