Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The Pixel 4 isn’t perfect software-wise, but it is design-wise. I can’t believe people are calling this phone ugly. It’s beautiful, IMO, especially the Clearly White.

Weird, I would say software wise it’s very strong but it’s let down by its hardware. I think it’s a good looking phone as well but compared to the Note 10 for example it looks dated. Also, I found it to be way too narrow. Although I admit others may love how narrow it is as it makes a large phone more usable.

Reactions: jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Personally I think the Note 10+ is my Android phone of the year. But the 7500 readers at Android Police think the Pixel 4 is....
I don’t know how often you visit that site, but the comments are always full of pro Pixel fans usually crapping on the latest Samsung device because of bloatware, lagwiz, or any of the usual stereotype words associated with Samsung from 2012. It’s just how that place is.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
MKBHD finally giving the pixel 4 the accolades it deserves.

It won the prestigious golden toilet for bust of the year,

(Most disappointing)

85954bf0688f84dd87abf3eea6c0b433.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Harthag

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
What’s with MKBHD’s obsession with OnePlus? It wins SOTY, but it doesn’t win in any other category. Crappy camera, a screen with compromises because of its curve, average battery, shady OnePlus/Chinese tactics, and etc. Without any doubt, the 11 Pro deserved SOTY.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Are we talking 4 or 4XL? Surely not the 4 with it's awful battery?!
Not sure to be honest. You will have to go tot he site that did the article. I would think the XL myself though.
[automerge]1577203756[/automerge]
I don’t know how often you visit that site, but the comments are always full of pro Pixel fans usually crapping on the latest Samsung device because of bloatware, lagwiz, or any of the usual stereotype words associated with Samsung from 2012. It’s just how that place is.
not one of my favorites sites....I like Android Central the most. I just saw the headline and thought I would share. I'm sure there are sites that have preferences and people with certain viewpoints tend to gather.....

Reactions: michael9891

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What’s with MKBHD’s obsession with OnePlus? It wins SOTY, but it doesn’t win in any other category. Crappy camera, a screen with compromises because of its curve, average battery, shady OnePlus/Chinese tactics, and etc. Without any doubt, the 11 Pro deserved SOTY.

MKBHD first and foremost loves high refresh rate displays. The OP7 Pro has a high res 90hz display. The ROG Phone II also won 3 of his rewards and guess what it has—a big 120hz display.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
MKBHD first and foremost loves high refresh rate displays. The OP7 Pro has a high res 90hz display. The ROG Phone II also won 3 of his rewards and guess what it has—a big 120hz display.
I genuinely cannot tell the difference between 60Hz and 90Hz. Sometimes I feel like it’s just marketing BS that YouTubers are pushing for money. 🤷‍♀️

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
...Sometimes I feel like it’s just marketing BS that YouTubers are pushing for money. ?‍♀️

I think that about most of them... And devices considering they all, for the most, part do the same thing. It's all about the clicks, granted some YT do seem to have a love for tech, I believe floss is one mkbhd another, Erica, Lisa, Mr Mobile, though I don't watch a whole lot of their vids. I can't remember the last time I watched a flossy vid, they get kinda long lol.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still do tend to watch some reviews and such but mostly I guess to use a different device vicariously though an "influencer" ?

Reactions: drinkingtea

robertts

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
Does anyone know if it is possible to set up Pixel 4 to toggle a setting when charging? So what I'd like to do is when I put the Pixel 4 on the Pixel Stand, turn on ambient display, motion sense and the always-on-display.

Also, is it possible to bypass the lockscreen with voice? For instance, I cannot use "hey Google" to send/read a text nor send a Google Home command while lock. AFAIK, Google removed the ability to use voice while locked for privacy reasons, which seems odd since all of my Google Homes can be controlled without any authentication.

I don't really want to use trusted locations, b/c that will leave the phone completely unlocked. Thanks in advance.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
How is everyone’s Pixel doing?

I’ve had my Pixel 4XL for about two weeks now and I was glad to find a thread here on Macrumors.

To tell you how it’s doing, I’m enjoying the experience because I’m able to enjoy android again for one, and because it’s an OLED screen with 90hz refresh rate and I see the difference. Also Google Assistant is waaay better than Siri, when it comes to a immersive experience.

I would have the iPhone Pro Max BUT because of the flickering or the PWM, I experience the eye strain so to speak, even tho it doesn’t flicker as fast like the iPhone X did. I skipped the XS, had a plus 7 then 8 plus model, then experienced the XR. Current iPhone at this time is 11.

Having the itch of wanting an OLED screen, the Google Pixel 4 XL seemed intriguing because they are the Apple of android, no PWM with android OLEDs and Google supports their phones, especially with the software updates.

Samsung looks great but after 6 months, good luck with future updates, ask S8 or S9 owners, heck even Note 8 owners.

The Pixel 4 XL is good looking, not too narrow like the XR and the 11. I’m enjoying the flow of multitasking, the battery last as long as I need it to, and again, the screen is fun.

There are some negatives but it’s tolerable, ex: passwords. Most apps you have to type in but google remembers your passwords, Face ID is fast, no swiping up to unlock but for now if the phone sees you, it opens lol.

Anyways, it is a good phone and I can see how the Pixel 4 XL could be one of top phones of 2019. Last true android experience for me was the Galaxy S6.

Last thing, if I compared it to my 11 or iOS in general, I will say I am more efficient with the iPhone, I just move a little bit more faster but the Pixel is right there.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung looks great but after 6 months, good luck with future updates, ask S8 or S9 owners, heck even Note 8 owners.
You should ask them....most are getting security updates in a timely manner. But Samsung said the S8 and N8 wasn't on their Android 10 roadmap. The last 2 months my Note 10+ has received the monthly security updates before my Pixel 4XL. With project treble OEMs can push out updates sooner than in the past.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
[QUOTE="iApple_man, post: 28099896, member: 943317
[/QUOTE]

I still have my Note 8 and it is on the Dec security patch. It's still an excellent phone. And, Android 9 is pretty good.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Wow. I’m surprised. I guess people really prefer pure Android. I like it, too, but I still have to prefer the Samsung hardware for 2019.
The Pixel’s market share is so low in comparison to Samsung’s that it’s difficult to believe that people prefer pure Android over anything else. Many Android enthusiasts prefer pure Android, but most Android users are content with other flavors of Android, even when presented with a Pixel.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
I’ve had my Pixel 4XL for about two weeks now and I was glad to find a thread here on Macrumors.

To tell you how it’s doing, I’m enjoying the experience because I’m able to enjoy android again for one, and because it’s an OLED screen with 90hz refresh rate and I see the difference. Also Google Assistant is waaay better than Siri, when it comes to a immersive experience.

I would have the iPhone Pro Max BUT because of the flickering or the PWM, I experience the eye strain so to speak, even tho it doesn’t flicker as fast like the iPhone X did. I skipped the XS, had a plus 7 then 8 plus model, then experienced the XR. Current iPhone at this time is 11.

Having the itch of wanting an OLED screen, the Google Pixel 4 XL seemed intriguing because they are the Apple of android, no PWM with android OLEDs and Google supports their phones, especially with the software updates.

The Pixel 4 XL is good looking, not too narrow like the XR and the 11. I’m enjoying the flow of multitasking, the battery last as long as I need it to, and again, the screen is fun.

There are some negatives but it’s tolerable, ex: passwords. Most apps you have to type in but google remembers your passwords, Face ID is fast, no swiping up to unlock but for now if the phone sees you, it opens lol.

Anyways, it is a good phone and I can see how the Pixel 4 XL could be one of top phones of 2019. Last true android experience for me was the Galaxy S6.

Last thing, if I compared it to my 11 or iOS in general, I will say I am more efficient with the iPhone, I just move a little bit more faster but the Pixel is right there.

But they do..

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Just a thought popped through my head a couple days ago, and I think it's been mentioned here and there on this sub forum but 64gb as base storage needs to go, it's the new 16gb.

Well, maybe keep it around for for say a 4a or mid range devices, but for flagships?

But how else would you shill cloud storage without shortchanging onboard storage? o_O

This phone is slowly inching its way off my radar. Not sure why. Used to be a big pixel and Nexus fan boi. My XL 2 is pretty heavily used even though it gets quirky at times.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Just a thought popped through my head a couple days ago, and I think it's been mentioned here and there on this sub forum but 64gb as base storage needs to go, it's the new 16gb.

Well, maybe keep it around for for say a 4a or mid range devices, but for flagships?

But how else would you shill cloud storage without shortchanging onboard storage? o_O

This phone is slowly inching its way off my radar. Not sure why. Used to be a big pixel and Nexus fan boi. My XL 2 is pretty heavily used even though it gets quirky at times.
I’ve used up 108GB out of 256GB so far on my XS. I plan to keep this phone for three years. It’s crazy that the highest storage option for the Pixel is 128GB. I’m sure if I got the P4XL instead, I could possibly make do with 128GB. But for three years? I’m not sure about that, especially since apps are increasingly requiring more storage space. Sure, there’s cloud storage, but who wants to keep downloading things every time they want access to them? It’s a nuisance and a security risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I’ve used up 108GB out of 256GB so far on my XS. I plan to keep this phone for three years. It’s crazy that the highest storage option for the Pixel is 128GB. I’m sure if I got the P4XL instead, I could possibly make do with a 128GB. But for three years? I’m not sure about that, especially since apps are increasingly requiring more storage space. Sure, there’s cloud storage, but who wants to keep downloading things every time they want access to them? It’s a nuisance and a security risk.
With the rise of IG stories as my main communication platform I shoot tons of videos these days. I am always shooting now.

I have about 200 GB of videos on my SD card in my phone. Sure most of them are going to be deleted, but it is so liberating to have zero cares in the world about storage space, and just letting the camera roll.

For a "media" phone it is criminal to sell 64 GB.

No Google photos is not a replacement for on board storage IMO. Even when it was free. It is such a PITA to share photos, and get batches of them off of there that I dont consider it a viable option for anything but a deep storage locker.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I’ve got rid of my Pixel 4 now and don’t really miss it at all.
I think I would actually prefer to just pick up a 3 again should I want to have that Pixel experience, as IMO it has a better design, feel in hand and pretty much a killer camera still.

Plusit’s still supported with updates etc.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I’ve got rid of my Pixel 4 now and don’t really miss it at all.
I think I would actually prefer to just pick up a 3 again should I want to have that Pixel experience, as IMO it has a better design, feel in hand and pretty much a killer camera still.

Plusit’s still supported with updates etc.
Have you still the Xperia 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.