Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
yeah, I'm a big fan. I love the slate color (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520/pn/010-01769-11#). It's super light but a good size on my wrist (43mm). The battery life is insane, easily 5-7 days and that's with tracking sleep every night and workouts 3x-4x a week. I just don't have to worry about charging it which is nice. The only downside (and this is true of all garmins) is the transflective LCD screen. It looks great outdoors and in moderately bright rooms but at night, the the watch has to use the backlight which makes the screen not look great. If you are coming from an Apple Watch (like me), it takes some getting used to but I'm now fine with it and have no issues. But using this screen type is why the battery is so insane!

This looks like a great apple watch alternative and even better in some regards.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
This looks like a great apple watch alternative and even better in some regards.

yeah, that's tough to say. from a battery stand point and a sleep tracking stand point, yes... but this is more of a fitness device than an all around smart watch. I'd prefer to use my apple watch (series 4) if I liked iOS at this point, but I prefer android... so I'm kind of stuck finding another solution since wearOS hardware sucks and I'm not a fan of samsung's watches. I'd love to have it be a full fledged smart watch with an awesome screen like my apple watch but I know that the price would be greater and battery life not as good... but for me, it's a perfect watch to use when I'm on android ;)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
yeah, I'm a big fan. I love the slate color (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520/pn/010-01769-11#). It's super light but a good size on my wrist (43mm). The battery life is insane, easily 5-7 days and that's with tracking sleep every night and workouts 3x-4x a week. I just don't have to worry about charging it which is nice. The only downside (and this is true of all garmins) is the transflective LCD screen. It looks great outdoors and in moderately bright rooms but at night, the the watch has to use the backlight which makes the screen not look great. If you are coming from an Apple Watch (like me), it takes some getting used to but I'm now fine with it and have no issues. But using this screen type is why the battery is so insane!

Yeah I may have found my next smartwatch. Sounds like the battery is really good. I can handle display imperfections as it's just a watch but the fitness tracking sounds amazing.

Now just to confirm, this is Wear OS too right? Does it work "good enough"?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah I may have found my next smartwatch. Sounds like the battery is really good. I can handle display imperfections as it's just a watch but the fitness tracking sounds amazing.

Now just to confirm, this is Wear OS too right? Does it work "good enough"?

it's not wearOS. It's Garmin's own OS. Yes, it definitely works good enough, I'd say better than "good enough" for my needs. It has a great android app for syncing all your data. I find the fitness tracking to be on par (maybe better?) than the Apple Watch 4 (I do a lot of camp gladiator / boot camp style workouts) and the sleep tracking is great compared to what I've experienced with wearOS, fitbit, and Apple Watch.

all in all, I think it's worth a go.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...7.5990j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

Reactions: mjschabow

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
FYI Samsung is still very much supporting their smartwatches. I just got a massive update on my couple year old gear S3 frontier that moved it to one UI and really polished the experience.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Curious if anyone is using Bluetooth headphones with their 3a and if you're seeing any voice delay. I'm using my Galaxy Buds and the delay is pretty bad. But I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Galaxy Buds being compatible with not Samsung devices or if it's an issue with the 3a.

Could anyone share their experiences?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Curious if anyone is using Bluetooth headphones with their 3a and if you're seeing any voice delay. I'm using my Galaxy Buds and the delay is pretty bad. But I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Galaxy Buds being compatible with not Samsung devices or if it's an issue with the 3a.

My airpods work great, no delay.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010

My 3a does have a delay as well when using the buds.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Ugh unfortunately it seems to be related to my phone. I compared audio and video over my car Bluetooth and there was delay. To do due diligence, I also compared with my Jabra Bluetooth headset at work and the delay it's there.

This sucks because I really like this phone but this is a deal breaker.

Reactions: jamezr

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh unfortunately it seems to be related to my phone. I compared audio and video over my car Bluetooth and there was delay. To do due diligence, I also compared with my Jabra Bluetooth headset at work and the delay it's there.

Exchange it since you just got it. It's not a widespread issue that I'm aware of.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014

A well known BT pixel issue i had that during OG pixel days.... I love my pixel OG that time but it made me switch to iPhone X...
All my BT activities was handled by iphone no fuss... OG pixel became my backup ...

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
A well known BT pixel issue i had that during OG pixel days.... I love my pixel OG that time but it made me switch to iPhone X...
All my BT activities was handled by iphone no fuss... OG pixel became my backup ...

And it's weird that it doesn't affect some people. I'm thinking about exchanging it for a regular Pixel, or keep my S10+. I've also thought about going back to the iPhone XR. Unfortunately I can't just exhange it in store as they are out of stock at Best Buy.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Welp, I was able to fix the audio lag! I read something on Reddit that pointed me to this setting in Developer Options. Instant difference!
0912850b63f2e4f53183834b5bda3079.jpg

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
And it's weird that it doesn't affect some people. I'm thinking about exchanging it for a regular Pixel, or keep my S10+. I've also thought about going back to the iPhone XR. Unfortunately I can't just exhange it in store as they are out of stock at Best Buy.

Im back to XR haha.......

Idk... applications in iOS looks more refine...

Might settle for this i miss my apple watch....
But im still looking to get one android to play around for my other line..

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Im back to XR haha.......

Idk... applications in iOS looks more refine...

Might settle for this i miss my apple watch....
But im still looking to get one android to play around for my other line..
Oh the XR is definitely still on my mind. Actually though, if I were to dive back into Apple, I think the best buy right now might be there iPhone X. Really good deals out there!

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Oh the XR is definitely still on my mind. Actually though, if I were to dive back into Apple, I think the best buy right now might be there iPhone X. Really good deals out there!
If u want to dive back to apple... For me..
XR is better.... Because camera is a lot better.... I had iphone X before XR...
I like the camera better on XR.. i dont mind the display... I chose between xs max and XR but at this time 4months before new iPhone comes out paying full price for max is not advisable...

With xs max price u can buy XR and keep your pixel 3a if u still want to explore android......

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think the XR is probably a little bit better all-around but the iPhone X is definitely more refined.

The XR definitely has a better camera than the X.

Outside of normal lighting situations, neither of them can hold a candle to the Pixel 3a let alone the Pixel 3.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
If u want to dive back to apple... For me..
XR is better.... Because camera is a lot better.... I had iphone X before XR...
I like the camera better on XR.. i dont mind the display... I chose between xs max and XR but at this time 4months before new iPhone comes out paying full price for max is not advisable...

With xs max price u can buy XR and keep your pixel 3a if u still want to explore android......
Yeah really the only thing remotely close to pulling me back to Apple right now is my Apple watch and possibly Airpods. As I'm with the Google phone right now I've come to realize that there aren't really any seamless options. But Apple's integration is so much better. I hate to make a phone decision based on accessories though. The Pixel is boss. Anything, having the 3A kind of makes me want to get the Pixel 3XL again and go all out but I would have to find a good deal.

Last edited:

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Yeah really the only thing remotely close to pulling me back to Apple right now is my Apple watch and possibly Airpods. As I'm with the Google phone right now I've come to realize that there aren't really any seamless options. But Apple's integration is so much better. I hate to make a phone decision based on accessories though. The Pixel is boss. Anything, having the 3A kind of makes me want to get the Pixel 3XL again and go all out but I would have to find a good deal.

For camera... no competition... pixel hands down haha

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Man I feel the pain you're going through haha.
I do still think the regular Pixel will treat you well.

Although the XR is a great phone. One of my favourite ever iPhones. :)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Man I feel the pain you're going through haha.
I do still think the regular Pixel will treat you well.

Although the XR is a great phone. One of my favourite ever iPhones. :)
Thankfully I got the audio issue fixed and I'm picking up some Jabra Elites to use instead of the Galaxy Buds. I read that the Galaxy Buds have had some issues with Pixels.

Honestly, this phone is an absolute joy to use. I've given thought to going with the regular 3 or 3XL, but really, all I miss is Wireless Charging. Is that functionality worth $300 extra knowing my battery life would decrease?

Reactions: nospleen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.