Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
out of all of my Android smartphones (about 7 :eek: ) the last 6 months I finally settled with the Pixel.

I truly 'love' the stock Android without all of those whistles and thousands of feautures and settings you see with Samsung and Huawei for example.

It sounds crazy perhaps, but this Pixel is making me much more relaxed using a smartphone, than a Samsung S10 (Plus) or Huawei P30 (Pro).
There's no need to tweak non stop for good battery life, looking at you Samsung.

And don't start with the Pixel Camera; cause that camera and image processing is simply freaking amazing / out of this world!

Did I already mentioned I love this Pixel?

edit:

about Q beta, tomorrow when the 4th beta will be released, the 3a (XL) will be on the list of devices who can start using these betas
Love it. I feel the same way about Stock Android.

Are you sure beta 4 is coming tomorrow??

Oh and we should probably combine toss with the regular 3.

Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Love it. I feel the same way about Stock Android.

Are you sure beta 4 is coming tomorrow??

Android (Q) betas usually come the first Wednesday of the month ;)

From a marketing prespective this 3a and 3a XL is such a smart move by Google. Just let people expierence the Pixel line.
Enlarge your userbase with these low prices, €399/$399 for a smartphone.

I am paying €900 (!!!) less for this Pixel 3a compared to my iPhone Xs (same storage, 64Gb). That's just insane

Reactions: mjschabow

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Flossy Carter just put his in depth review online

''a major Go!"

again; for $399/€399 this is a very,very good smartphone with the best camera (image processing) in smartphone world.

Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Finally decided once and for all to stop looking at the higher price 3XL, the 3a XL is more than a good phone and will see me through to the 4. And all the bargain 3XL on ebay advertised as being used for a week or so are liars! When I ask when it was bought so I know how much warranty is left , various sellers have no idea because they bought it second hand....

Quick portrait shot in low light yesterday.

Last edited:

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
!!! enroll to Q Beta program as of now possible !!!

You can now register your 3a and 3a XL for the Q Beta program
This device registration was until earlier today not possible yet for the 3a and 3a XL.

I guess the 4th beta of Q will be released in 1 or 2 hours from now

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
!!! enroll to Q Beta program as of now possible !!!

You can now register your 3a and 3a XL for the Q Beta program
This device registration was until earlier today not possible yet for the 3a and 3a XL.

I guess the 4th beta of Q will be released in 1 or 2 hours from now

I enrolled already. No beta to download yet but I'll check again in a couple hours.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I enrolled already. No beta to download yet but I'll check again in a couple hours.

I have read that the monthly Q betas usually come around 3.00PM EST

so a few more hours, right? (sorry, I am from a completely other time zone :p )
[doublepost=1559754939][/doublepost]the images of the 4th Beta just released.

Now we wait for the regular OTA updates to come (in an hour or so?)

edit:

just got the OTA pushed to my 3a :)

Last edited:
Reactions: noobinator

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have read that the monthly Q betas usually come around 3.00PM EST

so a few more hours, right? (sorry, I am from a completely other time zone :p )
[doublepost=1559754939][/doublepost]the images of the 4th Beta just released.

Now we wait for the regular OTA updates to come (in an hour or so?)

edit:

just got the OTA pushed to my 3a :)

Mine's downloading now too.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
nice! a true Dark Mode

looks very good on my 3a

really nice blacks, instead of the Dark Mode on my iPhone Xs (iOS 13 DP) were you see a lot of grey-ish instead of real black colors.

And fully gestural navigation is pretty handy (especially for an iPhone user ;) )

edit: running very stable and smooth, so far.
Oh geez, I truly love the real Dark Mode. The black colors are truly pitch black.

Fast app switching is also very fast and smooth.

Last edited:

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Would you say it’s definitely worth enrolling in this? As I know I’d have to wipe my phone to go back to P if issues arise!

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
@michael9891

So far, its very smooth and fast. About 90% of my apps are perfectly working fine. All my banking apps working 100%

@mjschabow dark mode on Facebook Messenger is pitch black. Facebook no Dark Mode (or I dont know were to enable that ;) )
Thanks. What apps seem to have problems? Definitely wouldn't like Twitter messing up!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm contemplating the Q beta too, but last time I did it when it was first out my phone ran terribly!
It has put me off as setting up from new again is literally painful.

I never back up on an Android phone either - been burned with that one before! :p

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Thanks. What apps seem to have problems? Definitely wouldn't like Twitter messing up!

For me its just a few local (Dutch) Apps and I am sure you are not using them ;)

I don't use Twitter, sorry.

I should probally say 95% of my apps are working instead of 90% ;)

If you give me a few apps you would like to know if they work with this 4th Q beta, I can try them out briefly, for you

About 2 hours after the install of this 4th Beta I gotta say its really smooth and stable (just a few hiccups which are ofcourse expected running a beta). Haven't really had problems so far

Reactions: michael9891

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
For me its just a few local (Dutch) Apps and I am sure you are not using them ;)

I don't use Twitter, sorry.

I should probally say 95% of my apps are working instead of 90% ;)

If you give me a few apps you would like to know if they work with this 4th Q beta, I can try them out briefly, for you

About 2 hours after the install of this 4th Beta I gotta say its really smooth and stable (just a few hiccups which are ofcourse expected running a beta). Haven't really had problems so far
The main apps I use off the top of my head are ebay, sky sports, Google Keep, myfitnesspal & YouTube.

Not sure what previous phones you've had but how do the gestures compare to iPhone? I was happy with the way the S10+ & P30 Pro made use of them.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
The main apps I use off the top of my head are ebay, sky sports, Google Keep, myfitnesspal & YouTube.

Not sure what previous phones you've had but how do the gestures compare to iPhone? I was happy with the way the S10+ & P30 Pro made use of them.

eBay works
SkySports works
GoogleKeep works
Myfitnesspall not working well
Youtube works

The gestures in this beta are working almost similar to my XS.

Like the gestures much much more compared to my previous Huawei P30 and Samsung S10 Plus.

Reactions: michael9891

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
eBay works
SkySports works
GoogleKeep works
Myfitnesspall not working well
Youtube works

The gestures in this beta are working almost similar to my XS.

Like the gestures much much more compared to my previous Huawei P30 and Samsung S10 Plus.
Thanks, I appreciate it. MyFitnessPal is having sync issues on my iPad now anyway, so probably not to do with Q.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.