Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Thankfully I got the audio issue fixed and I'm picking up some Jabra Elites to use instead of the Galaxy Buds. I read that the Galaxy Buds have had some issues with Pixels.

Honestly, this phone is an absolute joy to use. I've given thought to going with the regular 3 or 3XL, but really, all I miss is Wireless Charging. Is that functionality worth $300 extra knowing my battery life would decrease?

Wait for pixel 4 haha

Reactions: mjschabow

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Thankfully I got the audio issue fixed and I'm picking up some Jabra Elites to use instead of the Galaxy Buds. I read that the Galaxy Buds have had some issues with Pixels.

Honestly, this phone is an absolute joy to use. I've given thought to going with the regular 3 or 3XL, but really, all I miss is Wireless Charging. Is that functionality worth $300 extra knowing my battery life would decrease?

I hear you. I thought you could have got a decent deal on one in the US, but at the retail price difference no - not worth it IMO.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I hear you. I thought you could have got a decent deal on one in the US, but at the retail price difference no - not worth it IMO.
Yeah while tempting, I fixed the one issue I was having. I don't "need" wireless charging until the 4 comes out.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The 3 vs 3a decision in USA is this:

You can get 3 for the price of 3a but it will be used. It will also have much worse battery life. So the tradeoff of no wireless charging, no IP, and slightly slower device is worth it to get a brand new device with superior battery life for many people .

Also deals could be found on 3a as well when it released. Mine cost me $100 total and many others got free $100 gift cards with purchase if they couldn't get it near free through TMobile like I did.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
The 3 vs 3a decision in USA is this:

You can get 3 for the price of 3a but it will be used. It will also have much worse battery life. So the tradeoff of no wireless charging, no IP, and slightly slower device is worth it to get a brand new device with superior battery life for many people .

Also deals could be found on 3a as well when it released. Mine cost me $100 total and many others got free $100 gift cards with purchase if they couldn't get it near free through TMobile like I did.
Exactly. I was looking at deals and weighing my options and ultimately, charging won't be an issue as I have plenty of chargers (portable ones too). If I get it wet, that would suck, but I generally don't have that issue and at least it's a $400 device.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Taking more pics with the 3a XL and P30 Pro today. Outside, no question the Pixel is better. More detail, especially with hdr on and I prefer the colours. Front camera had the same results.

But I was pretty shocked how much worse the Pixel is indoors. Not dark, just indoors and obviously not as bright as it is outside. The main camera is so much more clearer & detailed on the Huawei (tested all hdr modes, flash, night mode). Took a few selfies and the detail on my hair is much better on the Huawei. Just as I was almost certain I’d be keeping it....

Reactions: jamezr

Garen

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Los Angeles Area
Well, I couldn’t resist so, I went to Best Buy and got myself an Unlocked white Pixel 3a. Played with it for 4 hours and so far I’m very satisfied with what I see. I really need intervention, now I have Note 9, S10, LG G8, iPhone XS, iPhone SE, Moto X4 and Essential PH-1 on 7 lines.
BTW WiFi Calling is working on AT&T.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I couldn’t resist so, I went to Best Buy and got myself an Unlocked white Pixel 3a. Played with it for 4 hours and so far I’m very satisfied with what I see. I really need intervention, now I have Note 9, S10, LG G8, iPhone XS, iPhone SE, Moto X4 and Essential PH-1 on 7 lines.
BTW WiFi Calling is working on AT&T.

I think I've finally found someone worse than me!

Great lineup tho and you'll love the 3a.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I'm not going to keep posting about the battery life but I must say it's almost as good as the P30 Pro which is widely considered the best. 6.5 hours SOT with 15% left. And I didn't start using the phone until it was on 90% as it was just left on airplane mode for 3 days first.

Now if the 4XL with the top specs can match it, I'll be more than happy!

Reactions: nospleen

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I'm not going to keep posting about the battery life but I must say it's almost as good as the P30 Pro which is widely considered the best. 6.5 hours SOT with 15% left. And I didn't start using the phone until it was on 90% as it was just left on airplane mode for 3 days first.

Now if the 4XL with the top specs can match it, I'll be more than happy!

The great battery life has made not having wireless charging acceptable. I normally place on my wireless charger while at work. On this one, i just charge to and from work and it lasts all day without an issue.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Why do no Android phones do auto screen brightness as good as the iPhone? Every Android phone I've tried, right along with this pixel 3a, constantly wig out in darker environments and the brightness jumps up and down back and forth. It's very distracting where as my iPhone I can't even notice changes in brightness because it'll do it very gradually and subtly. Also wish the screen got brighter on this 3a. It is a pretty solid phone at $400 though for sure.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Why do no Android phones do auto screen brightness as good as the iPhone? Every Android phone I've tried, right along with this pixel 3a, constantly wig out in darker environments and the brightness jumps up and down back and forth. It's very distracting where as my iPhone I can't even notice changes in brightness because it'll do it very gradually and subtly. Also wish the screen got brighter on this 3a. It is a pretty solid phone at $400 though for sure.
Samsung does it well but it's not easy. The Pixels in general are NOT good at it. It's one of the things I immediately noticed on iPhone when I went back to it. The jumps are crazy but it's just not that easy of a thing to do.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
out of all of my Android smartphones (about 7 :eek: ) the last 6 months I finally settled with the Pixel.

I truly 'love' the stock Android without all of those whistles and thousands of feautures and settings you see with Samsung and Huawei for example.

It sounds crazy perhaps, but this Pixel is making me much more relaxed using a smartphone, than a Samsung S10 (Plus) or Huawei P30 (Pro).
There's no need to tweak non stop for good battery life, looking at you Samsung.

And don't start with the Pixel Camera; cause that camera and image processing is simply freaking amazing / out of this world!

Did I already mentioned I love this Pixel? :p

edit:

about Q beta, tomorrow when the 4th beta will be released, the 3a (XL) will be on the list of devices who can start using these betas

Last edited:

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
out of all of my Android smartphones (about 7 :eek: ) the last 6 months I finally settled with the Pixel.

I truly 'love' the stock Android without all of those whistles and thousands of feautures and settings you see with Samsung and Huawei for example.

It sounds crazy perhaps, but this Pixel is making me much more relaxed using a smartphone, than a Samsung S10 (Plus) or Huawei P30 (Pro).
There's no need to tweak non stop for good battery life, looking at you Samsung.

And don't start with the Pixel Camera; cause that camera and image processing is simply freaking amazing / out of this world!

Did I already mentioned I love this Pixel? :p

edit:

about Q beta, tomorrow when the 4th beta will be released, the 3a (XL) will be on the list of devices who can start using these betas

I too switched to a bunch of phones recently 6t, s10+, now 3aXL.

I,really don’t see myself switching again anytime soon. I absolutely love it, and the battery life/camera beyond lives up to the hype.

If I do get another phone it will be the 4XL, but I don’t think I will bother.

Reactions: Geert76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.