Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I don't know what it is about Android gestures bit I do actually quite like that trusty back button.

I am going to give these Q gestures a go though (just went ahead and installed the beta) as they're very iPhone like, which should be good.

Reactions: Geert76

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Downloaded Q and thought all was fine. But Nova doesn’t work properly and have to keep restarting the phone after exiting any app or it just freezes. Wish I’d stayed on P because now I’m stuck with that annoying Google bar & weather on the home screen.
[doublepost=1559771260][/doublepost]On the plus side, MyFitnessPal has synced on my phone properly for the first time today. lol

I'm sure I'll quickly get used to the Pixel launcher again. Dark mode is very much welcome, as is the gestures to stop wasting screen space on stone age buttons! No idea why someone would prefer a fixed button when you can simply swipe either side of the screen and any height.
[doublepost=1559772740][/doublepost]I take back what I said about wishing I'd stayed on P. This is so much better and just reaffirms I was right to to sell my P30 Pro and get another Pixel. Probably should have just bought a 3XL last year instead of an iPhone!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I noticed the force dark mode doesn't work on beta 4. Most likely because of the issues with 3rd party apps.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
there is on going pixel3a sale in my location .... arghh im tempted to get one haha...... im worried i might sell my XR again for this ;)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Excellent deal for a quality midrange, IMO. The only phone to beat this is if the S10e goes on a massive sale and you snap it up.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
about 8 hours after the installation of this 4th Q beta, I gotta say almost everything feels very, very smooth.

On my 3a the fully gesturial navigation is working like a charm, much compared to the iPhone gestures (just a few minor hiccups here and there)

What I earlier mentioned in this topic, coming from Huawei P30 and Samsung S10 series this Pixel 3a is such a relaxed OS, finally no more ''thousands'' (battery) settings to play with to get some proper battery life.
I am aware that this Pixel is the bare bones of Android, but that exactly what I like about this phone, just the basic useful feautures/settings.

I am pretty sure landed with this 3a as second driver (besides my iPhone Xs as daily driver), however I am gonna use this Pixel 3a as a daily driver for the next few weeks. Let's see how long I can really use it as a daily driver this time ;)

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Excellent deal for a quality midrange, IMO. The only phone to beat this is if the S10e goes on a massive sale and you snap it up.

Yes but we have exynos model here...
So hmmm

Now there is on going sale
Pixel3a SGD 548
Samsung s10e SGD 680

Looking at 3a to use side by side with XR..

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yes but we have exynos model here...
So hmmm

Now there is on going sale
Pixel3a SGD 548
Samsung s10e SGD 680

Looking at 3a to use side by side with XR..
Are they bad or good? I believe the S6 used the same processor worldwide.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Oh, pixel 3a seems like great way to try android.. so cheap with such a great camera.. really tempting

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I assume that when Android Q is released properly, those of us on the beta can simply update to it without needing to reset the phone or anything?

Loving the dark mode, especially with Google photos. I also noticed I gained around 500mb storage space after the update.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
this 3A with the latest Q beta is running so smooth and snappy.
Just minor hiccups here and there, but that's the risk you take running beta's ;)

And when it comes to battery, wow! I am sure I can get easily 1.5 days with heavy usage without a single problem. With WiFi, Bluetooth and Location on. I also have AOD enabled. I did not do any battery tweaking as I had to do with my Samsung S10.

Sure, it misses the Visual Core chip, so the image processing will take 2 or 3 seconds sometimes; but the results of the photos taken are sometimes really breathtaking.
The fully gesterial navigation is working great so far, and this is just with the 4th beta, I guess we have another 4 betas to go before it goes public.

Multitasking will sometimes reload apps, when using the Camera, you'll notice reload of Apps quickly.
I have x0.5 animations enabled and pretty happy with that

But this 3a is such a great phone with a relaxed and easy UI/Android skin. I like the bare bones /minimal OS of this 3a.

What I earlier mentioned in this thread, after my experience with the Samsung S10 and S10 Plus and Huawei P30 and P30 Pro, this Pixel 3a is my to go Android smartphone for now.

I guess when Q (10.) goes public in October, you can easily get 2 days of 1 battery charge.

on a side note: people who can't stand, or really hate, bezels, skip this 3a or 3a XL :D:p

For €399/$399 this Pixel 3a is, imho, a real bang-for-your-back smartphone with excellent battery life.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just received a Pixel 3a yesterday and so far I really like it. A couple of years ago I tried a Samsung, S9 I think it was, and I hated it so bad that I returned it literally 23 hours later and made AT&T give my iPhone 6S back.

That has not been the experience with the 3a at all. I really like this pure Android experience where it doesn't have a layer of Samsung apps and a layer of AT&T apps on top of it. I think that is what drove me to hate the Samsung so much. Too many apps duplicating services and confusing the hell out of me.

I also got this 3a on Google Fi because I've wanted to try it out for a long time and so far it seems pretty good.

I'm impressed at how lightweight it is too, especially compared to my iPhone XR which by comparison feels like a brick.

Also, can't go wrong with the price either.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Glad to discover that the Apple AirPods can still serve as basic Bluetooth devices and paired nicely to the Pixel. Having wireless ear buds in the gym is very nice.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Glad to discover that the Apple AirPods can still serve as basic Bluetooth devices and paired nicely to the Pixel. Having wireless ear buds in the gym is very nice.

Still determining which wireless buds to go with as a pair for my 3XL. I hear the PowerBeatPros are pretty amazing but pricey!

I have a $100 BB certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Still determining which wireless buds to go with as a pair for my 3XL. I hear the PowerBeatPros are pretty amazing but pricey!

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on them if you do get them.

Since I'm transitioning from iPhone to Pixel right now, I'm glad the AirPods work as generic BT ear buds. I already have them and didn't want to buy yet another thing. :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I’m new owner of a pair of PB Pro earbuds and I’m a fan. I loved the convenience of the AirPods and added features that brought to Apple devices (though they worked great with my Pixel 3 XL as well) but they just didn’t fit that well in my ears. Also, I couldn’t exercise with them as eventually they’d slip out so I’ve been using a pair of JLab Epic Air Elites (very similar form factor to Powerbeat Pros). The PB Pros now fill both roles. Case isn’t small but not as cumbersome or ungainly as they looked in pictures.

Again, you won’t have all the functionality you’d find using it with an iPhone but the sound is better than AirPods (in my non-audiophile opinion), they allow you to customize the fit with different styles and sizes of ear buds, they have awesome battery life for true wireless buds.

I’ll be honest though, I didn’t pay $250 for mine and likely wouldn’t if that is what it would cost me. There are plenty of good options for $80-$100 less. My Galaxy Buds have been perfectly serviceable and they only cost me about $100.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I’m new owner of a pair of PB Pro earbuds and I’m a fan. I loved the convenience of the AirPods and added features that brought to Apple devices (though they worked great with my Pixel 3 XL as well) but they just didn’t fit that well in my ears. Also, I couldn’t exercise with them as eventually they’d slip out so I’ve been using a pair of JLab Epic Air Elites (very similar form factor to Powerbeat Pros). The PB Pros now fill both roles. Case isn’t small but not as cumbersome or ungainly as they looked in pictures.

Again, you won’t have all the functionality you’d find using it with an iPhone but the sound is better than AirPods (in my non-audiophile opinion), they allow you to customize the fit with different styles and sizes of ear buds, they have awesome battery life for true wireless buds.

I’ll be honest though, I didn’t pay $250 for mine and likely wouldn’t if that is what it would cost me. They’re are plenty of good options for $80-$100 less. My Galaxy Buds have been perfectly serviceable and they only cost me about $100.

Thanks for that feedback!

I have a $100 gift card from BB so basically they would come out to $150 which I don't consider too bad for a set of wireless ear buds. I am considering making the plunge as I have heard nothing but good things. And for my use, I think they would fit well.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Today is now day 4 with the Pixel 3a and I've been so pleased with it and the Google Fi service that I have initiated a port of my phone number from AT&T to Google Fi. I've been using a new phone number when I signed up with Fi the past few days instead of porting the number from the start because I wasn't sure if I'd like the phone/service.

I've had this phone number since the first iPhone in 2007 and it's been with AT&T/Apple the whole time.

So now I'm just waiting for the transfer to complete. It could be from 15 minutes to 24 hours before it's done.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Today is now day 4 with the Pixel 3a and I've been so pleased with it and the Google Fi service that I have initiated a port of my phone number from AT&T to Google Fi. I've been using a new phone number when I signed up with Fi the past few days instead of porting the number from the start because I wasn't sure if I'd like the phone/service.

I've had this phone number since the first iPhone in 2007 and it's been with AT&T/Apple the whole time.

So now I'm just waiting for the transfer to complete. It could be from 15 minutes to 24 hours before it's done.
U switch from iphone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.