Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hello all.

Surprised we haven't had a thread posted for this upcoming device.

As much as I like my 14 PM, I am more than ready to move onto a folding smartphone. No interest in the Z Flip line. The Fold 4 lacks dust resistance and that outer screen is too narrow for me.

It appears my only options in 2023 will be the Google Pixel Fold and Z Fold 5.

It's a shame that a folding iPhone doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. The one time I switched to Android was when Apple was late to the large screen game and then I switched to the 6 Plus when that day finally came. Will probably do the same with folding smartphones.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: anselpela

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
As much as I like my 14 PM, I am more than ready to move onto a folding smartphone. No interest in the Z Flip line. The Fold 4 lacks dust resistance and that outer screen is too narrow for me.
I'm curious have you tried the Fold 4?

It's a shame that a folding iPhone doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. The one time I switched to Android was when Apple was late to the large screen game and then I switched to the 6 Plus when that day finally came. Will probably do the same with folding smartphones.
So, you've been an iPhone user since the 6 Plus... judging from your signature you have an Apple Watch Ultra... are you willing to part with it? Or your intentions is the two phone setup?

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I'm curious have you tried the Fold 4?

So, you've been an iPhone user since the 6 Plus... judging from your signature you have an Apple Watch Ultra... are you willing to part with it? Or your intentions is the two phone setup?
Yes, I returned the Fold 4 for a variety of reasons. Outer screen way too narrow. No dust resistance. Not a flush device closed.

I would sell my AWU and get a Galaxy Watch. I prefer the rectangle shape of the AW but otherwise I wouldn't care all that much.

I would prefer staying with an iPhone. And hence why I would immediately return to a folding iPhone if/when that day comes.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You won't find any foldable that has dust resistant and nobody but Z fold has water resistant and I doubt the pixel fold will either

Reactions: Ludatyk

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Can't wait to see what Google does.

However I may skip the first iteration. Samsung is a leader in this space and I highly doubt that the hardware would be as good as Samsung.

That said, I know Google has been putting in a lot of work for the upcoming Pixel tablet so a foldable should have good software.

Interesting times!

Reactions: jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Samsung has had plenty of hardware troubles with the Fold. And this is from a company who makes excellent hardware.

Google on the other hand is notorious for hardware issues. A first gen Google foldable paired with their horrible customer service is a recipe for disaster.

That said, I would love to be wrong as a Pixel foldable that’s actually durable would be awesome.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
You won't find any foldable that has dust resistant and nobody but Z fold has water resistant and I doubt the pixel fold will either
You are most likely right. As someone who frequents the beach in the summer, I can't imagine myself getting a smartphone without dust resistance.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Rumor is this has been moved to Q4 2023 and that the inner display is similar to what Samsung used on the Fold 2.

Yep, sounds about right.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Rumor is this has been moved to Q4 2023 and that the inner display is similar to what Samsung used on the Fold 2.

Yep, sounds about right.
Yeah, I seen the rumor indicating its coming Q3-Q4.

It was initially planned for early Janurary... but it makes sense its using Samsung Fold 2 inner display given that Google Pixel devices are known for lack of stylus features. I know you might point to Google cutting corners, but I've been a Fold user for 2 years... the inner display is the least of my worries (I've yet to damage it).

I value more protection from the cover/outer display than the inner display, however... folding it multiple times a day can be a cause of concern. But I think that has more to do with how OEMs implement the hinge design because Samsung approach puts a lot of strain on the inner display.

I think it’s due to the water resistance… but rumors are that Google will adopt Oppo Find N design and that has little to no crease along with no water resistance, which tells me the inner screen won’t be much of a problem.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Looks like the Fold 5 and Pixel Fold will be available now at roughly the same time frame. Will be very interesting to compare both when they are released.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Yeah, I seen the rumor indicating its coming Q3-Q4.

It was initially planned for early Janurary... but it makes sense its using Samsung Fold 2 inner display given that Google Pixel devices are known for lack of stylus features. I know you might point to Google cutting corners, but I've been a Fold user for 2 years... the inner display is the least of my worries (I've yet to damage it).

I value more protection from the cover/outer display than the inner display, however... folding it multiple times a day can be a cause of concern. But I think that has more to do with how OEMs implement the hinge design because Samsung approach puts a lot of strain on the inner display.

I think it’s due to the water resistance… but rumors are that Google will adopt Oppo Find N design and that has little to no crease along with no water resistance, which tells me the inner screen won’t be much of a problem.

It makes sense to use a technology that’s 2+ years old on a $1700 device? Hmm, I gotta disagree. I’m with you in that I don’t think they care about stylus support. But that’s not the only display improvement made in 2 years on the Fold series. They’ve gotten more durable and the screen/protector combo has improved. You may not have durability issues with the inner display but many others have.

I do hope they continue to go the Oppo N route with the form. I prefer that over the overly tall design of the Fold series.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It makes sense to use a technology that’s 2+ years old on a $1700 device? Hmm, I gotta disagree. I’m with you in that I don’t think they care about stylus support. But that’s not the only display improvement made in 2 years on the Fold series. They’ve gotten more durable and the screen/protector combo has improved. You may not have durability issues with the inner display but many others have.

I do hope they continue to go the Oppo N route with the form. I prefer that over the overly tall design of the Fold series.
Well, I'm not entirely sure of the price tag... but could you point me in the direction of durability issues with the inner display?

Most if not all of the durability issues come from how Samsung has designed their hinge.. which what I tried to explain, the way it is contributes to durability. It leaves a gap whereas most foldable displays don't especially Oppo Find N and because of this... using a 2+ year old technology is understandable.

Reactions: aggie99

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My biggest concern about pixel fold is how lacking it will be in terms of power and how it will multitask with such a lackluster chip and overall efficiency. It's not a big deal on the phone but on basically a tablet it needs more power

And given fold 5 will run on SD gen 2 I'm not sure it will be a fair fight

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Well, I'm not entirely sure of the price tag... but could you point me in the direction of durability issues with the inner display?

Most if not all of the durability issues come from how Samsung has designed their hinge.. which what I tried to explain, the way it is contributes to durability. It leaves a gap whereas most foldable displays don't especially Oppo Find N and because of this... using a 2+ year old technology is understandable.

Go to the Fold forums on Reddit which are littered with the same type of posts of opening the device to a broken inner screen without any drop. Sure, you expect any forum to be full of more negative posts than positive because people happy with the device don’t tend to vent as much. Still, there’s enough that it’s not an isolated incident.

With a standard phone you typically only have to worry about self inflicted screen damage. On foldables, there are a lot more variables because you have a mechanical moving piece. And as far as the hinge goes, we have no idea what it will be like on the fold. Just because the form factor is like the Oppo N doesn’t mean the hinge design will be the same. This is googles first crack at this, I expect there to be issues just like Samsung had with their first few foldables. It’s inevitable. But using a less durable screen than what’s currently available isn’t a good first step.

Reactions: sunking101

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Go to the Fold forums on Reddit which are littered with the same type of posts of opening the device to a broken inner screen without any drop. Sure, you expect any forum to be full of more negative posts than positive because people happy with the device don’t tend to vent as much. Still, there’s enough that it’s not an isolated incident.
Yeah, on Reddit forums there is post of broken inner displays... which why I mention it is contributed to how Samsung has designed their hinge (how it aggressively puts strains on the display). I've been on Fold forums for the duration of my Fold ownership... and most has attributed the damage to simply opening up their Fold.

That's why there's a debate in the foldable world... valuing water resistance or the crease? Because if users value water resistance they'll most likely have a crease. But if the user would like to see little to no crease... then there will be no water resistance. And all this is based on how the hinge is engineered.

And as far as the hinge goes, we have no idea what it will be like on the fold. Just because the form factor is like the Oppo N doesn’t mean the hinge design will be the same.
I agree, but in that same context... we don't know the price of the Google Pixel Fold as well.

This is googles first crack at this, I expect there to be issues just like Samsung had with their first few foldables. It’s inevitable. But using a less durable screen than what’s currently available isn’t a good first step.
Umm.. I disagree with that statement, because that's the beauty of not going in first.. they can learn from what Samsung did wrong and what consumers value in a foldable.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
You bring up a point that I noticed as well. So the most recent alleged dimensions of the Pixel Fold are 158.7 x 139.7 x 5.7mm with a 5.8" outer display. The Fold 4 is 155.1 x 130.1 x 6.3mm with a 6.2" outer display. Renders suggest the Pixel Fold will have a wider outer screen. Which is a very good thing. But the device itself is allegedly taller than the Fold 4. So I'm assuming that is due to thicker bezels??

Does anyone know when the Fold 5 dimensions should leak?

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
This looks EXTREMELY promising. Outer screen appears to be the width of a 6.7" iPhone while the height is .25" shorter than a 6.1" iPhone. That alone makes the outer screen far more useful than the Fold 4. Inner screen is a more rectangular shape versus the Fold's square-ish one.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This looks EXTREMELY promising. Outer screen appears to be the width of a 6.7" iPhone while the height is .25" shorter than a 6.1" iPhone. That alone makes the outer screen far more useful than the Fold 4. Inner screen is a more rectangular shape versus the Fold's square-ish one.
It certainly going to be an awesome foldable.

And it will be compatible with how you value a foldable phone (yet it probably won't have the dust resistance that you require). I'm content with the narrow outer display on the Fold knowing full well Samsung will improve on it as the Fold series continue on.

But its about preferences... I like the inner screen unfolding in portrait perhaps because I've been accustomed to it for the years I've been using the Fold. However, unfolding in landscape could lead to more split-screen action for apps. For me... I use Pop-Up View for multitasking more than split-screen.

Reactions: aggie99

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010

This is my dream form factor.

I don't know how we let companies convince us that tall, and narrow screens were ideal.

If you spend the last majority of your time reading, and writing on your phone, such as messaging, or reading articles etc, then the extra height is meaningless. The main axis that is important is width for you text to span.

This looks like it will be absolutely perfect to read on. Plus it will be much more locatable due to reduced height.

If the main application of the inner screen is content consumption, which is how I use my fold 4, this is also a huge step up, as the fold 4 has gigantic black bars on the top, and bottom of your content. Going to this aspect ratio, brings it much closer to a native 16/9 ratio with less wasted space.

Unless there's a huge catch I will probably be picking this up

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't know how we let companies convince us that tall, and narrow screens were ideal.
Convince us? You aware companies have focus groups and rely on what are their thoughts before making a decision on a product.

And companies have a research team as well to gather data on potential products, I don't think it's a situation where they release a product without consulting with the regular joe.

Would I prefer the outer screen to be slightly wider? Of course... but I can understand what went into the decision.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You aware companies have focus groups and rely on what are their thoughts before making a decision on a product.
I am sure they do for some things...then you see some products and you have to scratch your head and wonder why anyonne would want that product.
But just yourself said you wanted a wider front disaply on the Fold....I think EVERYONE wants that! so that kinda goes against your statement? I will bet most focus groups would agree on a wider front display on the Fold

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But just yourself said you wanted a wider front disaply on the Fold....I think EVERYONE wants that! so that kinda goes against your statement? I will bet most focus groups would agree on a wider front display on the Fold
Yes, I said that. But in the same context, I mention I can understand what went into the decision.

It gives users a one-handed experience on the outer display and on the inner display I think they didn't want it massive to the point it ruins the portability aspect of the Fold. It's a clash trying to find the right balance... because having it too wide on the outer display then that might result in the inner display being wider as well.

I know some might prefer the Fold unfolding in landscape form which could help in having a wider outer display, but then again some Android apps function only in portrait. Which I think Google Pixel will end up having this problem... users will have to change orientation as soon as they unfold it.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I know some might prefer the Fold unfolding in landscape form which could help in having a wider outer display, but then again some Android apps function only in portrait. Which I think Google Pixel will end up having this problem... users will have to change orientation as soon as they unfold it.
That is absolutely not happening. If anything, the Pixel Fold will work far better regarding scaling Android apps by default without having to toggle anything in settings. It will be the first Google foldable and they will tailor the software for their hardware.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
This is my dream form factor.

If you spend the last majority of your time reading, and writing on your phone, such as messaging, or reading articles etc, then the extra height is meaningless. The main axis that is important is width for you text to span.

This looks like it will be absolutely perfect to read on. Plus it will be much more locatable due to reduced height.

If the main application of the inner screen is content consumption, which is how I use my fold 4, this is also a huge step up, as the fold 4 has gigantic black bars on the top, and bottom of your content. Going to this aspect ratio, brings it much closer to a native 16/9 ratio with less wasted space.

Unless there's a huge catch I will probably be picking this up
I believe this will be the perfect outer screen size. Essentially a .25" shorter than a 6.1" iPhone meaning you can easily reach the top two corners. The width of the Pro Max which will make for the best two thumbs keyboard experience.

The Fold series (for now) is too square-like. This will be much better for video consumption.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That is absolutely not happening. If anything, the Pixel Fold will work far better regarding scaling Android apps by default without having to toggle anything in settings. It will be the first Google foldable and they will tailor the software for their hardware.
Lol, How do you know that it will work better? It hasn't been released... we don't know anything about Pixel Fold software and what features they will have tailored to it.

I'm only going by Mr Mobile review of the Oppo Find N and he confirmed that it could be a problem. We don't know what will Google do to handle the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.