Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
$1300? That’s insane! I wonder what trade offs it will have? 90hz display on both displays? Perhaps, 90hz on cover and 120hz on inner screen? No wireless charging? I was going to mention 128GB storage… but it’s rumored to have 256GB.

And then there’s the RAM… I don’t see it being lower than 12GBs. I think the biggest reason for that price is last generation chip, but I like the fact they went this route. Reminds me of the Pixel 7 Pro… the retail price launch undercuts both the iPhone 14 Pro and S22U.

Since its going to launch way lower than the Galaxy Fold… consumers are going to seriously consider it.
He's saying he thinks it will be somewhere between these two price points.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
He's saying he thinks it will be somewhere between these two price points.
I’m aware of that… but even if its the maximum on that range ($1500) it still undercuts the Galaxy Fold. I’m just wondering what will be trade offs for doing so…

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I don’t think the price is overly important if the thing falls apart after 3 months. I just can’t see the first gen hardware being durable enough given Googles track record and with foldables being notoriously fragile.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I don’t think the price is overly important if the thing falls apart after 3 months. I just can’t see the first gen hardware being durable enough given Googles track record and with foldables being notoriously fragile.
I think your skeptism is valid. If I decide to get this I'm obviously going to also get insurance and hope for the best.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I think your skeptism is valid. If I decide to get this I'm obviously going to also get insurance and hope for the best.

That’s probably the move. Although I haven’t heard of many people having a good experience with Googles costumer service and returns. I wonder if Google handles their own phone insurance or if they partner with a 3rd party.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
That’s probably the move. Although I haven’t heard of many people having a good experience with Googles costumer service and returns. I wonder if Google handles their own phone insurance or if they partner with a 3rd party.
They use Assurant. This is assuming you purchase Google Preferred Care which you can only do if you buy directly from Google.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Nah I'm good. Just got the Oppo Find N2 for €1207.
c847fc01-d0d4-4ca7-8fdb-a803ee225354_feca133a.jpg

a6ac5884-5db2-4972-9ec2-d2d20530deee_1126e908.jpg

b559b0c1-9f41-4761-9c94-b05ecba7fb67_1126e908.jpg

Last edited:

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Wish we got the n2 here in the USA.

We will probably get something similar from one plus later this year though.

Since Oppo has been making folding phones nearly as long as Samsung, it is probably the safer bet vs the pixel.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Wish we got the n2 here in the USA.

We will probably get something similar from one plus later this year though.

Since Oppo has been making folding phones nearly as long as Samsung, it is probably the safer bet vs the pixel.
The Oneplus foldable will be bigger. I want a compact foldable. Besides that I can assure you in Europe or the US it won't be as cheap. I expect a price tag between $1500-1600.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm thinking it's going to be it tbh...let's see if they throw some incentives...
If I'm not mistaken.. they did give out some incentives with the Pixel 7/7 Pro. But Google undercut the retail price of both models compared to what Samsung and Apple offered.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
If I'm not mistaken.. they did give out some incentives with the Pixel 7/7 Pro. But Google undercut the retail price of both models compared to what Samsung and Apple offered.
It be nice to see them do the same ...and give a decent trade in

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah, I doubt that's true... it would be a mistake to price it identical to the Galaxy Fold.
Why? Will 100% have a better camera, more usable outside screen and who knows what else.
Although I wait for the usual “GOogLe mAke BAd HaRDwaRE, GeN 1 PrODuCT” yadda yadda. 😏.

I wouldn’t be mad if it was priced the same but I do find the Galaxy Fold too overpriced given its downsides.
Looking forward to learning more about this.

Reactions: Bkdodger

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It looks good. It will likely be my next phone come June. Then back to the new iPhone three month later in September! 😂

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah I definitely think it would be too high and not enough upside on my trade in to jump in at this time but we shall see there's plenty of time between now and June

I wish Google was going with the snap Gen 2 I will feel better about it and it's battery capabilities..

Reactions: aggie99 and jamezr

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I'll be on a beach the entire month of July in Italy. I don't see myself wanting to use this thing there in a waterproof pouch every day. More likely I will get this upon my return to the States.

$1,800 would a huge letdown however the carriers are going to offer great deals with a trade-in. BUT my preference would be to purchase via the Google store because their insurance is cheaper monthly. BUT their trade-in deals will probably be lousy in comparison. 🤔 We shall see.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Why? Will 100% have a better camera, more usable outside screen and who knows what else.
Although I wait for the usual “GOogLe mAke BAd HaRDwaRE, GeN 1 PrODuCT” yadda yadda. 😏.
I'm not with the crowd "be aware of 1st gen Google product." But I'm looking at it from the perspective of how much of a premium experience Samsung has provided with Fold. Having not one display with 120hz, but two... the UDC technology.

And then theres the subject of the chip running the Pixel Fold... it won't be running Tensor 3 that's coming with the Pixel 8/8 Pro. It's rumored to be running the Tensor 2 found in the Pixel 7/7 Pro.. whereas the upcoming Galaxy Fold 5 will be running the Snapdragon 8 gen 2 that's running in the S23U (which has been praised by the tech world).

Which means that Fold 5 will quite possible have better performance than the Pixel Fold and that's why the price shouldn't be identical.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm not with the crowd "be aware of 1st gen Google product." But I'm looking at it from the perspective of how much of a premium experience Samsung has provided with Fold. Having not one display with 120hz, but two... the UDC technology.

And then theres the subject of the chip running the Pixel Fold... it won't be running Tensor 3 that's coming with the Pixel 8/8 Pro. It's rumored to be running the Tensor 2 found in the Pixel 7/7 Pro.. whereas the upcoming Galaxy Fold 5 will be running the Snapdragon 8 gen 2 that's running in the S23U (which has been praised by the tech world).

Which means that Fold 5 will quite possible have better performance than the Pixel Fold and that's why the price shouldn't be identical.
I’m not sure most people are bothered about the chip though outside of people within this forum. For me, my 7 Pro has ran flawlessly since I’ve had it and no slow downs, so the Tensor 2 chip is plenty fine. Sure, YouTubers will post a load of videos of apps being opened and closed and a Fold 5 doing it 0.8 milliseconds quicker and the Google fold will then be classed as a flop 😄 but in real world use I’m sure it’ll be fine.

And like I say, I’d take a more useable outside screen and a better camera any day of the week.

Who knows how it will be priced. It would seem odd for Google to go in that high when their current flagship is undercutting every other market rival and has been their trend the last 2 years with the 6 and 7. Interesting times.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
If it’s $1800 it’s dead on arrival.

Google doesn’t offer enough incentives to bring that price down like Samsung so that’s basically what you’ll be paying. While the form factor may be better you can bet the build quality, hardware, and even software will be inferior with it being a gen 1. If rumors are right, it’s using old screen technology, probably worse ram and modems, and while I don’t mind tensor it doesn’t hold a candle to SE gen 2. For say, $1500 those are all acceptable trade offs. But for the same price as the Fold 5…Yikes. Google again misreading the market.

Oh and for those that don’t think a gen 1 Google made device has a higher chance of hardware failure, well, you’re being naive. Basically every Pixel up until the 7 had major hardware/design issues and that was with a simple, proven slab phone design and not a foldable which is much more complicated and prone to failures. But I guess if you’re willing to spend $1800 on this you’re probably willing to buy insurance on it so maybe that’s a moot point.

Still good to see something new and exciting releasing. For me, the most exciting part of this release is hopefully google pushing devs to make tablet/foldable versions of apps. Because it’s badly needed to wake up that market for android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.