Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Lol, How do you know that it will work better? It hasn't been released... we don't know anything about Pixel Fold software and what features they will have tailored to it.

I'm only going by Mr Mobile review of the Oppo Find N and he confirmed that it could be a problem. We don't know what will Google do to handle the issue.
This is a good link explaining what to expect. Clearly there are already signs in the code that Google is going to tailor the software on the Pixel Fold so it is optimized to run on a foldable. I find it hard to believe that Google is going to release their own foldable and have it feature software that makes for a poor experience.

That was the Oppo Find N. I have more faith in pure Android software released directly from Google versus Oppo and their skin.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This is a good link explaining what to expect. Clearly there are already signs in the code that Google is going to tailor the software on the Pixel Fold so it is optimized to run on a foldable. I find it hard to believe that Google is going to release their own foldable and have it feature software that makes for a poor experience.

That was the Oppo Find N. I have more faith in pure Android software released directly from Google versus Oppo and their skin.
The link you directed me to is information I already know... heck, I run Android 12L (OneUI 5.0) on my Fold, if anything Samsung has done more optimizing Android to run tablet apps than Google.

Perhaps, you are right Google will do better with optimizing tablet apps because in essence that's what the foldable experience is about. But it took Apple years optimizing tablet apps that run only portrait and they are the leader when it comes to tablet apps.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
It certainly going to be an awesome foldable.

And it will be compatible with how you value a foldable phone (yet it probably won't have the dust resistance that you require). I'm content with the narrow outer display on the Fold knowing full well Samsung will improve on it as the Fold series continue on.

But its about preferences... I like the inner screen unfolding in portrait perhaps because I've been accustomed to it for the years I've been using the Fold. However, unfolding in landscape could lead to more split-screen action for apps. For me... I use Pop-Up View for multitasking more than split-screen.

I always find myself rotating the ZF4 to landscape when I use it, so this form actually works perfect for me. The biggest downfall for me on the Pixel Fold will be the supposed lack of water resistance. So far dust resistance hasn't been an issue on any of the 4 Fold iterations for me. If there is no water resistance on the PF, I'm actually now leaning towards having the best of both worlds and the PF on my personal line and Z Fold 5 on my business line and switching the Z Fold to my personal when at the lake, beach etc to have a water resistant phone with me. If the Pixel Fold is as good as the 7 Pro with no compromises with regards to camera and the software features I've come to love from Google I can see myself going all foldable and no slab.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I always find myself rotating the ZF4 to landscape when I use it, so this form actually works perfect for me. The biggest downfall for me on the Pixel Fold will be the supposed lack of water resistance. So far dust resistance hasn't been an issue on any of the 4 Fold iterations for me. If there is no water resistance on the PF, I'm actually now leaning towards having the best of both worlds and the PF on my personal line and Z Fold 5 on my business line and switching the Z Fold to my personal when at the lake, beach etc to have a water resistant phone with me. If the Pixel Fold is as good as the 7 Pro with no compromises with regards to camera and the software features I've come to love from Google I can see myself going all foldable and no slab.
Gonna end up doing something similar I think due to the lack of dust resistance. My iPhone 13 will remain my daily driver. The GPF or Fold 5 will be my cheap line (Mint Mobile) and be used more like a cellular tablet.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I always find myself rotating the ZF4 to landscape when I use it, so this form actually works perfect for me.
Always? I use landscape sometimes... I switch whenever I feel the need, but more than anything... I like having a stylus. That's going to be deciding factor between the Pixel Fold versus Galaxy Fold and once Samsung implements a silo... then I'm sure Samsung going to heavily advertise S-Pen support.

I don't use DeX as much as I use to... but its cool having the option.

If the Pixel Fold is as good as the 7 Pro with no compromises with regards to camera and the software features I've come to love from Google I can see myself going all foldable and no slab.
The software features is what I'm curious to see... so far, only thing we have seen from Google is the added taskbar with Android 12L. Which I admit, is a dope feature... but I wanna see more added to the foldable experience.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Always? I use landscape sometimes... I switch whenever I feel the need, but more than anything... I like having a stylus. That's going to be deciding factor between the Pixel Fold versus Galaxy Fold and once Samsung implements a silo... then I'm sure Samsung going to heavily advertise S-Pen support.

I don't use DeX as much as I use to... but its cool having the option.

The software features is what I'm curious to see... so far, only thing we have seen from Google is the added taskbar with Android 12L. Which I admit, is a dope feature... but I wanna see more added to the foldable experience.
I did a deep dive into waterproof pouches and I think that actually would be okay for me at the beach. I don't think it's an ideal solution by any means but I think it would work well enough where I could use the GPF as my daily driver instead of needing an iPhone or a second device for the beach.

I made a paper cut out of both the GPF and GF4. The GPF honestly feels like the perfect size for a foldable. The outer screen is ideal IMO and the inner screen should be awesome too. The only thing I would change in a future GPF model is to make the bezels smaller on the inner screen so it could potentially reach 8" without having to have a bigger footprint given we know the GPF will have thick bezels around that inner screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: aggie99

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
It's supposed to be the largest of any foldable and much heavier than any foldable.. which makes sense lol
It's not the largest. It just has a very unique form factor compared to the rest of the foldable market other than the Find N2.

Prosser said in his video that it was very heavy. No surprises there.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It's supposed to be the largest of any foldable and much heavier than any foldable.. which makes sense lol

Lol, well.. technically the largest of any foldable crown goes to the Surface Duo even though it doesn’t have a screen that folds.

But I’m looking forward to the Pixel Fold to see what features they have designed for it. I gotta admit I like how Google did the taskbar on Android 14… it looks more like a iPad dock. I’m hoping that encourages Samsung to do the same with OneUI 6.
f9c3f783146d905f8440879bf4dac566.webp

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Ha yes meant heaviest not largest in overall size foldable ..don't count that Duo in my mind lol
I'm looking forward to hopefully some useful stuff that carries to the rest of the market ..

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
So, when exactly is this thing expected to come out? I’m looking forward to it, but I don’t want to wait until October.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

It looks to set for June release… with last year Tensor chip, not sure if that’s a good idea.

I’m thinking it would be more impressive with the latest chip, but I can understand the reasoning behind it to reduce cost.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007

It looks to set for June release… with last year Tensor chip, not sure if that’s a good idea.

I’m thinking it would be more impressive with the latest chip, but I can understand the reasoning behind it to reduce cost.
Oh my God. I really hope it’s coming in June!!!!!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
$1300? That’s insane! I wonder what trade offs it will have? 90hz display on both displays? Perhaps, 90hz on cover and 120hz on inner screen? No wireless charging? I was going to mention 128GB storage… but it’s rumored to have 256GB.

And then there’s the RAM… I don’t see it being lower than 12GBs. I think the biggest reason for that price is last generation chip, but I like the fact they went this route. Reminds me of the Pixel 7 Pro… the retail price launch undercuts both the iPhone 14 Pro and S22U.

Since its going to launch way lower than the Galaxy Fold… consumers are going to seriously consider it.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Day 1 for me.
An outside screen that is actually usable and a good camera... The 2 things the Fold fell short on for me and stopped me going back. Verrrry excited about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.