Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m not sure most people are bothered about the chip though outside of people within this forum. For me, my 7 Pro has ran flawlessly since I’ve had it and no slow downs, so the Tensor 2 chip is plenty fine. Sure, YouTubers will post a load of videos of apps being opened and closed and a Fold 5 doing it 0.8 milliseconds quicker and the Google fold will then be classed as a flop 😄 but in real world use I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Yeah, but I’m referring to the battery life in terms of performance.

That’s one of main drawbacks that Fold users complain about (excluding the narrow cover display)... I personally find my battery life average (not bad), but I’ll be lying to myself if I didn’t desire more. Sometimes, I carry around a portable battery pack for cases when I need extra juice.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Really been looking forward to the Pixel Fold but if it's $1800 I'm likely out as well. I'll probably go with the Fold 5 if they are at the same price point. While the Tensor 2 is nice, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 is a battery beast on top of much better performance. I might just wait and see what the Pixel 8 Pro is like and hold onto my Fold 4 and skip the foldables altogether this year.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I can’t wait for the preorder hype when everyone justifies a purchase and orders one. 😜. Happens every time. Hence me not trying to lie to myself at this early stage.
I embrace the inevitable as a tech wh*re. 🥳

Reactions: jamezr and Bkdodger

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
I can’t wait for the preorder hype when everyone justifies a purchase and orders one. 😜. Happens every time. Hence me not trying to lie to myself at this early stage.
I embrace the inevitable as a tech wh*re. 🥳
LOL I might get suckered in but having a P7P, S23U, Fold 4, and iPhone 14 PM, at $1800 it would have to offer something really special to lure me in. Really happy with the devices I have now, especially the S23U. After having that kind of battery life on an Android device it's going to be hard for me to buy anything that doesn't have the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
A very official report here. So it's gonna be at least $1,700 and 283 grams. That is a very heavy device.

Curious to see what kind of trade-in offers Google will provide. The notion of a free Pixel Watch is interesting even though the current Galaxy Watch line is superior IMO.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
LOL I might get suckered in but having a P7P, S23U, Fold 4, and iPhone 14 PM, at $1800 it would have to offer something really special to lure me in. Really happy with the devices I have now, especially the S23U. After having that kind of battery life on an Android device it's going to be hard for me to buy anything that doesn't have the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2
I could easily see you trading in your P7P given that it could give you the same Pixel experience.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
The aspect ratio (wider screen) of the folded screen looks promising. The Galaxy Fold has always been too narrow for my taste.

I hope Google will push the support of Apps supporting Folds. It’s quite lackluster so far and a real shame

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Excited to see Google enter the foldable market and while it will be superior front display I can't see it matching Z fold software

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Excited to see Google enter the foldable market and while it will be superior front display I can't see it matching Z fold software
Android 14 will be a huge upgrade to folding devices. GPF should be awesome with respect to software on day one. Unless there is something exclusive that you like about One UI, I don't see the advantage the Galaxy Fold would have in that regard.

Last edited:

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Side note: the Pixel tablet will be released at the same time and now leaks are saying it’ll cost between $500 and $700 with the dock costing $120.

Google continues to miss the mark on pricing and overvalue their hardware.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Side note: the Pixel tablet will be released at the same time and now leaks are saying it’ll cost between $500 and $700 with the dock costing $120.

Google continues to miss the mark on pricing and overvalue their hardware.
The Nintendo Switch dock on its own retails for about £70 on the back of a £260 console. The Google tablet will be maybe $400 with the dock but $300 without which puts it on par with the iPad 10. Assuming a Tensor 2 chipset it will be powerful enough for everyday tasks but still function as a Home device when docked which is a big selling point.

Reactions: jamezr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Android 14 will be a huge upgrade to folding devices. GPF should be awesome with respect to software on day one. Unless there is something exclusive that you like about One UI, I don't see the advantage the Galaxy Fold would have in that regard.
Having a desktop environment when plugged in to a monitor or TV along with stylus functionality is some other advantages as well.

I think what Google foldable offer is the Pixel experience and a larger cover display… which can appeal to those who gravitate toward those features.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Having a desktop environment when plugged in to a monitor or TV along with stylus functionality is some other advantages as well.

I think what Google foldable offer is the Pixel experience and a larger cover display… which can appeal to those who gravitate toward those features.
And, IMO, a superior inner display too due its aspect ratio.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
And, IMO, a superior inner display too due its aspect ratio.
Umm.. it’s superior because of the aspect ratio? I’m not sure about that.

Personally, I don’t view that as an advantage because I can change my orientation to landscape and have the same aspect ratio. However, the Fold cover display cannot be altered in anyway to make the experience better.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
See, I see it the opposite. I don't think the Pixel can match the Fold hardware. Samsung just nails the hardware aspect of a device. I love everything about the way my Pixel operates though. I am certain Google has been working on perfecting the foldable experience for a while prior to bringing their product to the market. I'm excited to see what they have to offer.........but not at $1800 😂

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Umm.. it’s superior because of the aspect ratio? I’m not sure about that.

Personally, I don’t view that as an advantage because I can change my orientation to landscape and have the same aspect ratio. However, the Fold cover display cannot be altered in anyway to make the experience better.
The inner screen of the GPF is the proper landscape size. I'd rather have that then need to flip my foldable to obtain that orientation.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The inner screen of the GPF is the proper landscape size. I'd rather have that then need to flip my foldable to obtain that orientation.
I understand that you are hyped to have it in your hands and I hope its all that you want it to be, but you claim the aspect ratio is superior?

And I'm aware that you like the fact when unfolding it's in landscape orientation... but I don't see how that's a legitimate advantage. I think that's more of a preference factor.

Reactions: aggie99

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I understand that you are hyped to have it in your hands and I hope its all that you want it to be, but you claim the aspect ratio is superior?

And I'm aware that you like the fact when unfolding it's in landscape orientation... but I don't see how that's a legitimate advantage. I think that's more of a preference factor.
Has nothing to do with my excitement or hype mate. I’ve wanted a foldable that unfolded to landscape orientation for years now. I really don’t see this as a preference. The Galaxy Fold is an awkward aspect ratio unfolded. The GPF is exactly what I’d want in a small tablet or foldable. The only thing I would change is to make it 8” instead of 7.6”. But personally I see this default aspect ratio as a big advantage over the Galaxy Fold.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
I could easily see you trading in your P7P given that it could give you the same Pixel experience.
Idunno man, is that same Pixel experience worth that kind of $. Especially when I already have a perfectly good foldable in the ZF4 that I love. Knowing Google the P7P will probably only get around 300-400 trade in.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Has nothing to do with my excitement or hype mate. I’ve wanted a foldable that unfolded to landscape orientation for years now. I really don’t see this as a preference. The Galaxy Fold is an awkward aspect ratio unfolded. The GPF is exactly what I’d want in a small tablet or foldable. The only thing I would change is to make it 8” instead of 7.6”. But personally I see this default aspect ratio as a big advantage over the Galaxy Fold.
Well, I guess this is a agree to disagree.

You are aware they are both the same aspect ratio when in landscape or portrait? Whereas the only difference is the initial unfolding... some users might prefer unfolding landscape while some portrait. Because if I view it from your perspective... I should automatically switch to orientation when I unfold because its "superior."

And there are cases when I switch my orientation to landscape... but majority of the times I'm in the orientation I want to be, which is portrait.

Idunno man, is that same Pixel experience worth that kind of $. Especially when I already have a perfectly good foldable in the ZF4 that I love. Knowing Google the P7P will probably only get around 300-400 trade in.
Well, you have three slabs currently with the 14PM, P7P and S23U... why not remove the Pixel from the lineup?

And have two slabs and two foldables. Because I think the Pixel Fold will get you the same Pixel phone experience in addition to the tablet experience and that's the price of admission.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Well, I guess this is a agree to disagree.

You are aware they are both the same aspect ratio when in landscape or portrait? Whereas the only difference is the initial unfolding... some users might prefer unfolding landscape while some portrait. Because if I view it from your perspective... I should automatically switch to orientation when I unfold because its "superior."

And there are cases when I switch my orientation to landscape... but majority of the times I'm in the orientation I want to be, which is portrait.

Well, you have three slabs currently with the 14PM, P7P and S23U... why not remove the Pixel from the lineup?

And have two slabs and two foldables. Because I think the Pixel Fold will get you the same Pixel phone experience in addition to the tablet experience and that's the price of admission.
I can only share my personal preference. And I think it’s felt by many. When I unfold a foldable I want it by default to be a wide rectangle. Which is what the GPF is. If you don’t prefer that orientation or are fine with flipping your device to achieve that, great. But I personally want that wide rectangle unfolded by default.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can only share my personal preference. And I think it’s felt by many. When I unfold a foldable I want it by default to be a wide rectangle. Which is what the GPF is. If you don’t prefer that orientation or are fine with flipping your device to achieve that, great. But I personally want that wide rectangle unfolded by default.
Of course, it's no shade against your personal preference... my disagreement is that you somehow find it superior.

And if you think its felt by many... we will surely find out when the Pixel Fold competes against the Galaxy Fold come June.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The Nintendo Switch dock on its own retails for about £70 on the back of a £260 console. The Google tablet will be maybe $400 with the dock but $300 without which puts it on par with the iPad 10. Assuming a Tensor 2 chipset it will be powerful enough for everyday tasks but still function as a Home device when docked which is a big selling point.

What are you basing this on? Because I'm reading leaks from reputable sources that say it'll be around 600-650 Euros. If you use the same difference Google charges US vs Europe for Pixel phones, that would mean $500-550 for the tablet and it does look like dock will be included.

But that means it's more expensive than the base iPad which is not a place they want to be IMO. Aside from the dock, the Pixel tablet will have worse specs across the board along with a much smaller offering of tablet specific apps. Just seems like undercutting Apple here would be a smarter move.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Of course, it's no shade against your personal preference... my disagreement is that you somehow find it superior.

And if you think its felt by many... we will surely find out when the Pixel Fold competes against the Galaxy Fold come June.
I don't think it's something hard to understand. Which is why your 'hype' comment is really puzzling.

A desktop and laptop computer are wide rectangles. When I use my iPad Pro I use it 100% of the time in landscape orientation. I don't use my iPhone in landscape for anything other than videos and taking photos because it's an inferior experience at that size for other tasks.

That all changes with the GPF. I can simply open it and by default it's the ideal orientation for Reddit, browsing the web, watching videos, email, etc.

Is everyone going to agree with me? Of course not. But the appeal of this orientation should be a given.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't think it's something hard to understand. Which is why your 'hype' comment is really puzzling.
My apologies if you took my hype comment negatively, didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers.

A desktop and laptop computer are wide rectangles. When I use my iPad Pro I use it 100% of the time in landscape orientation. I don't use my iPhone in landscape for anything other than videos and taking photos because it's an inferior experience at that size for other tasks.
I completely understand your point. I use my iPad Pro 99% of the time in landscape orientation… but that’s primarily because of the larger display.

But with these foldables being a smaller size (its not much bigger than a phone) … using it portrait orientation does not bother me.

Is everyone going to agree with me? Of course not. But the appeal of this orientation should be a given.
The point I’m making... you can achieve that orientation easily by rotating. Is that such a difficult task to unfold and orientate if that’s the view a user cares to look at?

I agree with you… the cover display on the Pixel Fold is advantage along with the Pixel experience, no doubt about it. But unfolding in landscape versus portrait orientation… that’s designated for a poll to decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.