Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Does anyone know if the Fold supports Dual Apps of the same app? Eg my Xiaomi Fold allows me to have 2 Instagram apps running at the same time so I can be logged into personal and work accounts simultaneously...

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I guarantee you it’ll be worse. How much so and if you’ll notice a difference all depends on the coverage at your work.

Thanks! At work it’s not that great as is with my iPhone. I’ll probably give it a try and if it’s too bad take it back. Do you think the Samsung Fold would do better in that aspect? I’m not a fan at all of the Samsung form factor but if the Pixel doesn’t work I might consider it.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Does anyone know if the Fold supports Dual Apps of the same app? Eg my Xiaomi Fold allows me to have 2 Instagram apps running at the same time so I can be logged into personal and work accounts simultaneously...
Negative ..you can only open up the app in one window

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Thanks! At work it’s not that great as is with my iPhone. I’ll probably give it a try and if it’s too bad take it back. Do you think the Samsung Fold would do better in that aspect? I’m not a fan at all of the Samsung form factor but if the Pixel doesn’t work I might consider it.

In my experience, Samsung and iPhone radio coverage is pretty comparable. Google uses inferior modems so there’s will always be worse.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Negative ..you can only open up the app in one window
That's not quite the correct/full answer to the OP question :)

Samsung Fold/S23 etc allows dual apps to be running simultaneously but you can't view them side by side especially if one is in the secure area, but you can toggle between them.

I also guess if you also have a work profile that some apps may allow 3 instances, subject to permissions but cant say I tried that

Last edited:

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
That's not quite the correct/full answer to the OP question :)

Samsung Fold/S23 etc allows dual apps to be running simultaneously but you can't view them side by side especially if one is in the secure area, but you can toggle between them.

I also guess if you also have a work profile that some apps may allow 3 instances, subject to permissions but cant say I tried that
But you still can't run the same app side by side

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
My phone arrived yesterday. So far I'm pretty pleased. I'm still working on getting all the apps I want on it and everything set up like I'd like it to be. I love the form factor folded and unfolded. I'm going to have to rewatch some of the YouTube videos on set-up because it's not as intuitive as I thought. Android has come a long ways since my Note 8.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
We are going no case and skin starting today
39808dd4388588b01cefe75b35fb1fac.jpg
c8aaf7507a8c9e2e327bb5b04456e559.jpg
1ab407c8ea035795e071fa788a49aa53.jpg
0cff1d7eef58685c4c630d8f9cf0a31e.jpg

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
That looks really sharp! I am very reluctant to use just a skin because I broke a phone using skin only before but I like the look and feel of it.

I totally understand but I figured I have insurance with Google and I’m tired of my carbon fiber case …I’m usually careful and will roll with it

Reactions: scott craft

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I totally understand but I figured I have insurance with Google and I’m tired of my carbon fiber case …I’m usually careful and will roll with it
I saw a video, can't remember who it was, but he had a tan leather dbrand skin on his fold. It looked very sophisticated.
I hope your skin serves you well.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I saw a video, can't remember who it was, but he had a tan leather dbrand skin on his fold. It looked very sophisticated.
I hope your skin serves you well.
Thank you ... it's a really nice feeling in hand ... only thing I have to perfect is the unfolding phone as the sides with a case make it easier to open vs less area now to grab

Reactions: scott craft

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I am enjoying this phone, especially since I have everything set up like I want, but making calls at work is a problem. The data connection isn't great but it's adequate but not phone calls. As bad as I don't want to I might have to return it.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I am enjoying this phone, especially since I have everything set up like I want, but making calls at work is a problem. The data connection isn't great but it's adequate but not phone calls. As bad as I don't want to I might have to return it.
Are you able to use Wi-Fi at work? Has me thinking maybe Wi-Fi calling would resolve the issue with it

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
What phone are you considering?
Samsung Fold 5 (but I don't care for the form factor)
Pixel 8 Pro
S23 Ultra
I really like the Pixel software so if I knew for sure the 8 Pro had better signal strength that would be my preferred choice. As is I'll probably end up with a Samsung.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Samsung Fold 5 (but I don't care for the form factor)
Pixel 8 Pro
S23 Ultra
I really like the Pixel software so if I knew for sure the 8 Pro had better signal strength that would be my preferred choice. As is I'll probably end up with a Samsung.
I think the P8P is stellar and improved in many ways from my point of view I'd give that a shot if you could get one discounted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.