Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Does the dual screen preview come on automatically?

Any idea how to get the update? I don't seem to have it here.

jorgejjvr

macrumors regular
May 14, 2023
Does the dual screen preview come on automatically?

Any idea how to get the update? I don't seem to have it here.
Unfold the phone and click here:

Screenshot_20231211-202638.png

If you don't see it, you need the December Pixel update, and/or a camera app update

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Anyone still rocking this phone? I just picked up one on Amazon a few days to compliment my OnePlus Open. If so, how's the latest beta on it?

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Beta has been running perfectly on mine.. I'm using mine almost daily alongside my P8P

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
A bit late to the party but...

Bought myself a Pixel Fold via eBay UK which will land with me in a few days ;)

It's via a tried & trusted business reseller I've used a good few times beforehand; always sells immaculate/as new devices that have either been opened & returned; or that are nigh on brand new - always unmarked and fully boxed etc

I need a new mobile for my work as the Samsung A53 I've got is just crap (slow, slow and even slower) - it's completely OEM too bar using Nova Launcher, so surprised at how bad it is TBH! So I'll send that back in the New Year to my boss in Dublin

I'll still be running my iPhone 14PM as I need it for my AWU; but I'm going to trial the Pixel Fold as a daily for a while and see how I get on

I've ordered the Spigen Slim Armor case, Spigen screen & camera lens protectors too and they'll be with me around the same time

Spigen case: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Armor-Compatible-Google-Pixel-Black/dp/B0BN4RX7C7/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2G7CQBKBSU7VV&keywords=spigen+pixel+fold+case&qid=1703496886&sprefix=spigen+pixel+fold+case,aps,555&sr=8-4

Spigen screen protector: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Glas-tR-Tempered-Screen-Protector/dp/B0BWGHNBTX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=15TH1YMOLUDES&keywords=spigen+pixel+fold+screen+protector&qid=1703496930&sprefix=spigen+pixel+fold+scr,aps,112&sr=8-3

Looking forward to it landing and getting it set up etc; I'll report back with pictures 👍🏼

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Well... What a phone!

Only just got it set up; fresh install rather than copying anything, but have installed minimal apps on it for now until I decide which phone to keep as my daily driver

I've installed WhatsApp but using the Fold as a connected device for now; works as normal

Got the Spigen screen protector and camera lens protector installed as soon as I unboxed it and then straight into the Spigen Slim Armor case (not used the adhesive strips as it fits very tightly and not loose at all)

Running Nova on it for now with Orbis icons pack

So far; very impressed

fold1.jpeg
fold2.jpeg
fold3.jpeg
fold4.jpeg
fold5.jpeg
fold6.jpeg
fold7.jpeg
fold8.png
fold9.png
fold10.png

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Well... What a phone!

Only just got it set up; fresh install rather than copying anything, but have installed minimal apps on it for now until I decide which phone to keep as my daily driver

I've installed WhatsApp but using the Fold as a connected device for now; works as normal

Got the Spigen screen protector and camera lens protector installed as soon as I unboxed it and then straight into the Spigen Slim Armor case (not used the adhesive strips as it fits very tightly and not loose at all)

Running Nova on it for now with Orbis icons pack

So far; very impressed

View attachment 2329984 View attachment 2329982 View attachment 2329983 View attachment 2329985 View attachment 2329986 View attachment 2329988 View attachment 2329987 View attachment 2329989 View attachment 2329990 View attachment 2329991
Excellent looking really good there...

Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Yesterdays contactless wash; pictured using my Pixel Fold

So far the cameras impressed me; cannot tell the difference between it and my 14PM with 'every day/normal' shots etc

Going to try and get some more details pics when I can with the Fold and then see how they compare to the iPhone

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Some tools arrived yesterday (day after I needed them, typical) 😂

Anyways; took a quick 'close up' picture using the Fold and it doesn't disappoint...

It doesn't have Macro capabilities (which I was surprised at when I found out); but then again I don't take many macro pictures and I've my 14PM for that if required)

foldcloseup.jpg

The clarity and detail look really good to my eyes

Reactions: Bkdodger

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
More shots of this mornings frosty view...

iPhone 14PM vs Pixel Fold:

iPhone shot 1:
iphoneshot1.jpeg

Fold shot 1:
foldshot1.jpeg

iPhone shot 2:
iphoneshot2.jpeg

Fold shot 2:
foldshot2.jpeg

iPhone shot 3:
iphoneshot3.jpeg

Fold shot 3:
foldshot3.jpeg

In my simple none professional photographer opinion; the fold holds itself VERY well vs the iPhone

Yes the close up shot is good; not as good as the iPhone in which its macro capabilities are excellent (we all know that) - quick macro shot:
iphonemacro.jpeg

I think the Fold's colour is warmer than the iPhone; for me the picture from our side door down the cul de sac (shot 3) on the Fold is warmer/nicer to look at than the iPhone; both pictures are very good

But the shots of the ice on my BMW come out better on the iPhone IMO

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
QPR2 Beta 3 on Reddit today, and the new version has a build number of AP11.231215.007 on eligible devices, which are every Pixel phone, tablet, and foldable from the 5a to the 8 Pro. Like the most recent stable channel update, this version's security patch level is January 2024. As you'd expect with an update towards the end of a beta cycle, this update's release notes features a laundry list of bug fixes:

Fixed an issue where SPIR-V sequences of OpShiftLeft followed by OpShiftRight didn't produce the expected results for ARM Vulkan driver versions 43.0 and 44.0. (Issue #314048080)

Fixed issues that sometimes caused Bluetooth connections to be interrupted for some devices. (Issue #315324137, Issue #317798832)

Fixed issues that sometimes caused a device to crash or become unresponsive after restarting. (Issue #317282987, Issue #316689583, Issue #316188779)

Fixed issues that in some rare cases caused devices to reboot while in idle mode. (Issue #316903919, Issue #316557374)

Fixed an issue that caused live wallpapers to stop animating. (Issue #312869160)

Fixed an issue that prevented Google Assistant from activating in some cases. (Issue #311934282)

Fixed an issue that sometimes caused multi-finger gestures to stop working.

Fixed an issue where the device's screen didn't initially turn on when the screen was double-tapped or the power button was pressed.

Fixed an issue that sometimes caused higher than usual CPU usage during video playback.

Fixed a system issue that sometimes caused poor audio quality or higher power consumption when making calls.

Fixed an issue where the keyboard was always shown even if the "Swipe up to start search" setting was disabled in system settings.

Fixed an issue where sometimes when a user unlocked the device using their fingerprint, there was no haptic feedback.

Fixed an issue for Pixel Fold devices where sometimes after a user unlocked the device while it was folded, the inner display didn't turn on after unfolding the device.

Fixed various issues that were impacting system stability, performance, connectivity, camera, and accessibility.

Reactions: danb1979

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Beta 3.1Beta 3Beta 2Beta 1.1Beta 1

Release dateJanuary 24, 2024BuildAP11.231215.009Emulator supportx86 (64-bit), ARM (v8-A)Security patch levelJanuary 2024Google Play services23.45.23

Android 14 QPR2 Beta 3.1 (January 2024)

This minor update to Android 14 QPR2 Beta 3 includes the following fixes:

Fixed an issue that prevented overlays such as the Game Dashboard from opening while the device was in landscape mode. (Issue #312516206)

Fixed an issue where the device sometimes failed to unlock if always-on display mode was enabled and the user tried to use their fingerprint to unlock the device.

Fixed an issue where the height of the Quick Settings dialog that lists Bluetooth devices sometimes expanded unexpectedly.

Fixed an issue where the default search engine for the device would sometimes be set to the wrong provider after restoring device data from a cloud backup.

Fixed an issue where the display area of Quick Settings didn't update correctly after changing the system display size in accessibility settings.

Fixed an issue that sometimes caused degraded audio quality when making calls or recording using the microphone.

Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented a user from changing device keyboard settings.

Fixed an issue that caused some translations to be missing for various languages.

Fixed an issue where work profile icons were not shown for work apps when the work profile was paused.

Fixed an issue that caused some shaders to render incorrectly.

Fixed an issue where icons sometimes scaled incorrectly when entering picture-in-picture mode while the device was rotated.

Fixed an issue for foldable devices where the launcher was sometimes empty if the device was locked while unfolded and then unlocked after the device was folded.

Fixed an issue for foldable devices where, after folding or unfolding the device and then launching a pair of apps that were already open in split-screen mode, the app divider stopped responding to touch controls.

Fixed an issue for foldable devices where the screen sometimes flickered when unfolding the device.

Fixed an issue for tablet devices that sometimes caused a gray screen to briefly flash when dismissing some on screen activities.

Fixed an issue for tablet devices that caused the touch targets for taskbar icons and navigation buttons to be smaller than usual.

Fixed various issues that were impacting system stability, performance, connectivity, camera, and accessibility.

In addition, based on our testing, you might encounter the following issues when using Android 14 QPR2 Beta 3.1. These issues are already known, so there's no need to file additional reports for similar issues:

A native crash issue in /system/bin/surfaceflinger sometimes causes devices to reboot unexpectedly.

A system connectivity issue sometimes causes both outgoing and incoming calls to fail to connect.

For foldable or tablet devices, the UI navigation handle that allows a user to access the taskbar after launching an app sometimes renders too dark or too light (depending on the system theme), making it difficult to see and interact with.

An issue with the system UI sometimes causes app icons to display in the wrong locations after setting up the device.

All eligible devices enrolled in the Android Beta for Pixel program will be offered an over-the-air (OTA) update to Beta 3.1.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Camera wack and getting away from nice form factor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.