Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I just uploaded an avatar yet it only shows in my profile. In my posts it only shows a link where the image should be. Am I missing something?

edit: works now! :)

J Radical

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
500 post rule is ridiculous. I love macrumors but the forums are bland and lacking in personality. Avatars would give users identity, the is no reason why it should be confined to 'elites' with >500 posts.

>10 or 20 posts should be the standard.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
500 post rule is ridiculous. I love macrumors but the forums are bland and lacking in personality. Avatars would give users identity, the is no reason why it should be confined to 'elites' with >500 posts.

That's one opinion. Of course, you can always start your own forum and establish any rules you like.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005

Because many people post a few times and then leave. Giving them an avatar option just wastes space/bandwidth on users that don't really need them.

Besides, if you're in it for the long haul, 500 posts isn't much. I personally disable avatars because it's distracting and wastes bandwidth when I'm on the MiFi.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Erm... let's suppose a person posts once every other day (about my rate). It will take more than two and a half years (2.73 to be exact) for a person like me to earn their avatar. Obviously the rules are purely at the discretion of those that run the site - I get that - but it does seem a little arbitrary. If bandwidth is an issue, then why not simply forgo avatars all together? If it is about recognizing contributions, then there are others ways of judging this, and right now the 500 criterion encourages even greater bandwidth waste with frivolous posts.

Like this one. :p (that's 212, 288 to go...)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Increase your post count and that will decrease rapidly. If you really want an avatar it won't take that long (just make sure not to spam :p)

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
black and white avatars?

I didn't know where to ask this.... but how come many of the moderators and demi-gods and demi-goddesses have black and white avatars lately? I haven't been on Macrumors much this week (I'm a professor, and it is final exam week), so I must have missed the reason for it. Just curious! Thank you for any information about this. I looked around but couldn't see why.....

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
It's a secret. If we told you, we'd have to kill you. :cool:

OK, GGJstudios, I don't want to die just to know this.... but I definitely see lots and lots of folks with this special kind of avatar. I looked on MRoogle too, but I don't see anything about it..... I didn't even really know what to search for, except black and white avatars???? It is very strange indeed.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It seems to be an epidemic, I even saw one over at TrekBBS (a message board for future technology not even Apple could devise, like the Flux Jeffries microbes for example).

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
OK, my wife said that these reveal some kind of secret if you scan them with your cell phone.

You all won't believe this, but despite my huge Mac Pro in my sig, I don't own a cell phone. I don't own a car either. So I'm a bit unaware of what is happening with cell phone technology. Pretty crazy.

Do the square black and white avatars have something to do with that?

(Wow I sound so naive!!!!!!)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Do the square black and white avatars have something to do with that?

They are QR codes.
A QR Code is a matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by QR scanners, mobile phones with a camera, and smartphones. The code consists of black modules arranged in a square pattern on white background. The information encoded can be text, URL or other data.

Common in Japan, where it was created by Toyota subsidiary Denso-Wave in 1994, the QR code is one of the most popular types of two-dimensional barcodes. QR is the abbreviation for Quick Response, as the creator intended the code to allow its contents to be decoded at high speed.

May 8, 2008
I didn't know where to ask this.... but how come many of the moderators and demi-gods and demi-goddesses have black and white avatars lately? I haven't been on Macrumors much this week (I'm a professor, and it is final exam week), so I must have missed the reason for it. Just curious! Thank you for any information about this. I looked around but couldn't see why.....

They seem to be doing a 12 Days of Christmas countdown, subbing the original lyrics for MR inspired ones.

It's a secret. If we told you, we'd have to kill you. :cool:

Kill me. :p

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I know this is quite an old thread but I felt it was better than creating a whole new thread again just for one, related question. Why is there a file size/dimensional limit on new avatars? Is it to stop people choosing stupidly sized avatars that take up space on threads? Or is to do with server space? Just wondering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.