Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
I don't get why it's so high. Most forums I'm a member of it's like 10, 50 some 100. So why is it so high here?

because of the number of people especially the new people that are only here for 5 minutes and the amount of board resources that it would use if everyone had an avatar

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I like that's it's out of reach cos it stops stupid pictures having to load !

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Hicksville, US of A Baby!!!!!!
I see... just wasn't sure why.... that's all no need to "attack" lol

But given the size of these icons.. it's not like one forum I'm a member of that allows up to 300x500 images or GIFs those will strain servers more than a tiny 80x100 or whatever this forum is limited too.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I see... just wasn't sure why.... that's all no need to "attack" lol

But given the size of these icons.. it's not like one forum I'm a member of that allows up to 300x500 images or GIFs those will strain servers more than a tiny 80x100 or whatever this forum is limited too.

I don't think anyone is trying to attack, just answering your question

I don't think the servers is the primary motivation, but it is secondary
Rewarding for contribution to the community is very important around here
If someone is more concerned about an avatar than the community, they usual don't last

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Hicksville, US of A Baby!!!!!!
Sorry guys that was more a joke hence attack being "attack" not attack, the quotes tend to infer something different than w/o them right lol.

I don't care more about an avatar; was just curious/unsure why this forum was different from others but honestly 10/50 in hindsight seems too low if you ask me, but 100 is fine. I could maybe understand 50 but 10 it's like... well that's not hard at all 10 posts lol.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's annoying that sites like MacRumors are called forums, the discussion categories they have are called forums, and the lower-level sub-sections are called forums (or sub-forums).
The "Site and Forum Feedback" forum is in the "Mac Community" forum at the MacRumors forums website.
Maybe we should go back to calling a forum website a BBS.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
because of the number of people especially the new people that are only here for 5 minutes and the amount of board resources that it would use if everyone had an avatar

Resources?

Even in the ****tiest forums on the web, not only do newbie members get avatars but a lot bigger than those here.

The fact is no one here wants to spend even 1 nickel or invest an extra second into improving anything on the forums. Macrumors forums have been the same since the beginning for the internet and will probably stay so till the end of time.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
Resources?

Even in the ****tiest forums on the web, not only do newbie members get avatars but a lot bigger than those here.

The fact is no one here wants to spend even 1 nickel or invest an extra second into improving anything on the forums. Macrumors forums have been the same since the beginning for the internet and will probably stay so till the end of time.

yeesh, alright, thats the only reason i could find, and it's happened before on some forums i've frequented over the years, so, with mac rumors being quite a lot larger then those i thought it would of applied ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Resources?

The just added a new server

There is a possible new design forthcoming

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Macrumors forums have been the same since the beginning for the internet and will probably stay so till the end of time.

I like it like this :p

Why do people get quite so het up over avatars? I read the rules, posted when I had something to say and waited. Now I have the heady power of being able to put up an avatar if I want.

I like the avatar system 'cause with so many posters here it makes frequent posters more recognisable. If everyone had an avatar I'd never remember who said what. And if everyone had a massive intrusive avatar I'd sigh with disappointment.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's a chance to remind people about a misunderstanding about avatars that sometimes occurs:

• Avatars are based only on forum participation.

• Paid membership to MacRumors, to support the site, give you the benefits of an ad-free front page, access to the private forum, and a special user title.

• Paid membership does not give you have an avatar or full access to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum or the Marketplace forum (if you don't otherwise qualify). Those three privileges are free and depend only on your post count.

Even though letting users have avatars or access to those forums as a thank-you for paid membership would probably produce more memberships, we don't think it would be fair to users who earn them by participation.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK

Which is one of the reasons I like it here. I especially hate forums where people are allowed massive pictures in their signatures. I find it really hard to follow the discussion.

Discussion forums are for discussing, not showing off your animated gif skills IMO.

AppleMatt

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Which is one of the reasons I like it here. I especially hate forums where people are allowed massive pictures in their signatures. I find it really hard to follow the discussion.

Discussion forums are for discussing, not showing off your animated gif skills IMO.

AppleMatt

Or even worst, those who put images as their signatures.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Or even worst, those who put images as their signatures.

Especially when the image is a 480x360 aniGIF of Penn Jillette mouthing the words "Shut.. The F***... UP!" over and over again.

If I wanna see that kind of nonsense, I'll head over to Fark.com and lurk. The other 99% of the time, I'll be here. :)

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I've read the first and last pages of this thread and also the main FAQ, but I don't see this covered:

Why does my avatar space show a link that says "gwynne's Avatar" rather than just displaying the avatar itself?

Is it because of this?

"Changes to your avatar may take up to 2 hours to appear on certain forum pages."

Thanks in advance.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
It looks like the link was indeed a placeholder during the 'transitional' period. Thought I'd mention it for posterity. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.