Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canamera

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Wow, Thanks for the quick reponse guys...that sure answered my question.

500??? Geee...Why so many?

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Sure takes some time, look how long I have been a member for :eek: Think I am on about 300 posts. I do spend way too much time here though but mostly keep my thoughts to myself.

canamera

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Sure takes some time, look how long I have been a member for :eek: Think I am on about 300 posts. I do spend way too much time here though but mostly keep my thoughts to myself.

That's my point...
Now, I don't want to question the rules here or anything...especially 'cause I'm new here....but, I think the amount of posts you have is irrelevant to how much you help others in discussions.

Like I always say...."when you don't have anything good to say...don't say anything".

Some people probably get to 500 posts by just rambling on without anything helpful to add.

I hope I'm not upsetting anyone...not my intention, I was just wondering...

Psycdude

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Here here...

Yea, I know what you mean. I was a newbie for like a year. I'm hoping to get to Avatar status before 2020! I guess more posts like this one will help, as I normally would have just thought this to myself.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
That's my point...
Now, I don't want to question the rules here or anything...especially 'cause I'm new here....but, I think the amount of posts you have is irrelevant to how much you help others in discussions.

So how does a 'tar prove how much you help others in a discussion? I know people who have been here for years and still not got one and some of these people are the most helpful on MacRumors.

canamera

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
I guess they just want to make sure you are going to be here for a long time before they waist any valueable bandwith on you... or something like that.

I guess I need to win a contest then, 'cause at the rate I post...computers will be old school by then. LOL

canamera

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Wow, I like coming on forums to chat about things I have in common with others, and sometimes to get some help with something. I like to sit down, and see what everyone is talking about, and maybe put in my two cents...when I have two cents to put in, that is.

I originally started this thread, because I thought I was doing something wrong, maybe I hadn't seen it or something. Most other forums don't have a problem letting you post a stamp size picture by your name. I've been a member of other forums before, from Phones, to FTA, to even Nirto RC Cars...and they all let you add a picture. All it is, is a way to customize your profile...That's all!!!

Since I am new here, I don't want to over step my bounds or anything, or even upset anyone... Every site has their own rules, and I will completely follow them without question. Like I had said before, I thought I had just missed it or something...sorry for the confusion.

canamera

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
i like the current system as avatars let me quickly spot common posters. if everyone had them, it wouldnt be as effective in that aspect

plus it keeps the clutter down

Isn't that what the "title" under your name is for????
For example, I'm a "macrumors newbie"....
I'm also not sure I understand what you mean by "Keeps the clutter down"?

Archon Gold

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Canada, Ontario
Isn't that what the "title" under your name is for????
For example, I'm a "macrumors newbie"....
I'm also not sure I understand what you mean by "Keeps the clutter down"?

It gives users time to mature before giving access to avatars, so they can learn the rules.etc. Same goes for the Marketplace, while I am unhappy that I can't access either for a while, I DO agree that it is fair though.

as for less clutter, it makes everything easier on the eyes than avatar after avatar after avatar, IMO most threads are cluttered enough as it is.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It is a little strange but as far as I know, it's pretty much always been the way on this site. I think every one of us has thought the same thing when we were pre-500 posts. You'll get there. :)

P.S. I thought of the movie too. :eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Did you remove your sig just before making that post :p.

When I have a sig it is always small, uses size 1 font and a light color.

With regard to people who put all their "gear" in their sig, no one cares.

RobertVJ

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
Chicago IL / Oconomowoc WI

What does this mean?

To qualify for an avatar, you need a forum title of 6502a or higher (a 500 post minimum in qualifying forums)

I'm a moderator on mozillazine with 3910 posts. Is that a qualifying forum?

Thanks

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The qualifying forums are here on MR but exclude the PRSI Forum, the Marketplace, etc.

From the FAQ

Posts made to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum, the Console Games forum, the Code Sharing forum, and the Marketplace forum are not counted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.