Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Might be a broken link. If it is showing in your profile you just need to wait for the servers. Give it an hour or so.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Stupid question, but why 500? To preserve bandwith?

not argueing, since I am well on my way, but why?

Edit: 100 more to go :D

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
yes! I finally did it, I will finally get an avatar after four years of being part of macrumors (an one year of lurking prior to that!)

It is certainly a milestone in my mac geekery, a badge of honor if you will. Now give me my San Diego Chargers avatar!!!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
yes! I finally did it, I will finally get an avatar after four years of being part of macrumors (an one year of lurking prior to that!)

It is certainly a milestone in my mac geekery, a badge of honor if you will. Now give me my San Diego Chargers avatar!!!

Congrats. There is one member here trying to earn theirs tonight by reviving every thread in the system. :)

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
So here's my n00b question.

Is the size of the image that we are uploading going to change? For example, mine is only 19kb. Is it going to get bigger because i thing the OP in his post at the beginning had more.

And something else. gif images are ok to use? Because when i tried uploading a gif it didn't move although i waited for a couple of hours... It was just the first frame...

Thx!:D

L

Lau

So here's my n00b question.

Is the size of the image that we are uploading going to change? For example, mine is only 19kb. Is it going to get bigger because i thing the OP in his post at the beginning had more.

And something else. gif images are ok to use? Because when i tried uploading a gif it didn't move although i waited for a couple of hours... It was just the first frame...

Thx!:D

The reason the OP has a larger one is because moderators get a larger allowance, so you're stuck with 19kb like the rest of us peasants, I'm afraid.

Gifs are fine to use, but they have to be both 75x75px or less and under 19kb. If they're larger than this, just the first frame will show up, so yours was perhaps too big. You can check it's uploaded correctly by looking at your profile – if it looks right there it'll look right next to your posts when the servers catch up.

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
The reason the OP has a larger one is because moderators get a larger allowance, so you're stuck with 19kb like the rest of us peasants, I'm afraid.

Gifs are fine to use, but they have to be both 75x75px or less and under 19kb. If they're larger than this, just the first frame will show up, so yours was perhaps too big. You can check it's uploaded correctly by looking at your profile – if it looks right there it'll look right next to your posts when the servers catch up.

Thanks for your reply.

So when an image says name.jpg and underneath it says 75X75 these are the pixels?so it must be 75x75 right?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I think the best rule is to remember the minimum age for being a member here is 13 - so ensure you pick your avatar accordingly.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Is there any rules about what or what cannot be in your avatar? Thanks.
I don't think there are any specifically, just be sensible. This is a forum for all ages, just keep that in mind. Most stuff is fine and there are very infrequently problems with people over avatar choices.

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
I think the best rule is to remember the minimum age for being a member here is 13 - so ensure you pick your avatar accordingly.

I don't think there are any specifically, just be sensible. This is a forum for all ages, just keep that in mind. Most stuff is fine and there are very infrequently problems with people over avatar choices.

Okay! Thanks Andy and E.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is there any rules about what or what cannot be in your avatar? Thanks.
In addition to the pixel-size and bytesize limits on avatars, and the common-sense rule that avatars must not contain inappropriate content (the same rules as for forum posts), we prefer that animated avatars not have motion so rapid that they make it hard to read the forums!

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
In addition to the pixel-size and bytesize limits on avatars, and the common-sense rule that avatars must not contain inappropriate content (the same rules as for forum posts), we prefer that animated avatars not have motion so rapid that they make it hard to read the forums!

You mean like edesignuk's avatar? That one is right on the edge of being annoying. But I suppose I can simply disable avatars and not have to deal with it....

;)

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Well, I'm a bit perplexed on what I need to do to get an avatar here. I've just surpassed 500 posts.

Apparently the limit is now 75x75 and less than 20KB. Anyone know what resolution in Photoshop works best? I mean, I'm a photographer, but I'm not accustomed to making low res peephole images. I've done avatars before, but I must say never within these constraints.

I've had it set to 72px/in with 75x75px size. And saved through Photoshop using first .PNG (tried first) then I went back and saved as a JPEG with quality [6] and then tried quality [4].

I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for any help!

-PT

canamera

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not sure where to post this question... I was editing my profile and stuff, but I can't find the section to add a picture to my Avatar. Am I overlooking it, or is it that I'm not alowed to add a pic or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.