Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, leaker "Instant Digital" on Chinese blogging site Weibo claimed that Apple will be making an iPad-related announcement next Tuesday, March 26, suggesting a potential press release introduction ahead of pre-orders and a launch date. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has now weighed in, however, to say that this claim is "not true."

When-To-Expect-New-iPads-Feature-1.5.jpg

While disputing a March 26 announcement, Gurman has not shared any specific claims of his own regarding an announcement or launch date for the new iPad Pro and iPad Air models that are in the works, recently pointing to a general time frame of "around the end of March or in April."

Gurman offered a bit more color on the timing in the most recent edition of his Power On newsletter, saying that the "variant of iPadOS 17.4" that will ship on the new iPad models won't be ready until at least late this month, with it potentially taking "a couple weeks" to get the software installed on the initial shipments. That timing, Gurman says, will likely take things "deeper into next month" for a launch of the new iPads although an announcement could happen a bit sooner.

Alongside revamped iPad Pro models with OLED displays, Apple's M3 chip, and additional enhancements, we're also expecting updated iPad Air models including a new 12.9-inch size option. Apple is reportedly planning to introduce a new Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro and a new Apple Pencil.

Article Link: Gurman: No iPad Announcement Planned for March 26

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Gurman offered a bit more color on the timing in the most recent edition of his Power On newsletter, saying that the "variant of iPadOS 17.4" that will ship on the new iPad models won't be ready until at least late this month, with it potentially taking "a couple weeks" to get the software installed on the initial shipments.
This could be like the next general update is iPadOS 17.4.1 for everyone except the new iPads which requires iPadOS 17.4.2 as an example. Still a confusing way to write it up.

Still hoping for the 11"/12.9" OLED M3 iPad Pros, along with a M2 iPad Air with better camera. (current rumors suggest only one size now, no 12.9"), and a updated iPad mini with a different display and graphics controller to rid it of jelly motion.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I’ve never seen so much talk of a special iPadOS variant before a release. Seems a little unusual to me, but maybe there’s something to it. I guess this could mean that the new iPads could have some exclusive features right out of the gate, instead of getting those features later in the year. Or something…

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
My telco's account manager clued me in that new iPad plans will be launched 1st week April.

I made inquiries about their iPad plans in Feb... was told to expect pricing by April.

Neither he or his business division have time to read Gurman's output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.