Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Here's how to find out if a new model is coming fast: if the delivery dates from Apple for the current models suddenly zoom to over two weeks. I haven't heard anything like that yet.

Raven65

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
I don't think they are "dragging it out." But they may not be ready to go yet. Allegedly, the software is the holdup.
Yes, I know... based on the rumor that Gurman proposed. :rolleyes: I'm not buying that one. There have been many instances of other products dropping in the past with new versions of the OS containing key features for the new hardware being released days or weeks later. Why change course and let that hold up a hardware release now? Even if that is the case, or if they aren't ready yet due to some other reason - why not still announce them along with the M3 Macbook Air and make them available for pre-order? They absolutely are dragging this release out. They know it's been expected for weeks now and yet they say nothing.

Sorry, I know I'm coming across as a whiny cry-baby (whaaaahhhh... I want my new iPad!!!) but that really isn't the case. I could really use a 12.9" iPad right now (don't currently own one of any size) and I'd just like to know what the pricing is going to be on the 12.9" iPad Air (if they actually plan to release that product) so that I can make the decision to buy one or fall back to my "Plan B" and buy a used/refurbed previous-gen 12.9" Pro. I'm just stuck in this limbo until they release the info and it gets more irritating every day.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, I know... based on the rumor that Gurman proposed. :rolleyes: I'm not buying that one. There have been many instances of other products dropping in the past with new versions of the OS containing key features for the new hardware being released days or weeks later. Why change course and let that hold up a hardware release now? Even if that is the case, or if they aren't ready yet due to some other reason - why not still announce them along with the M3 Macbook Air and make them available for pre-order? They absolutely are dragging this release out. They know it's been expected for weeks now and yet they say nothing.

Sorry, I know I'm coming across as a whiny cry-baby (whaaaahhhh... I want my new iPad!!!) but that really isn't the case. I could really use a 12.9" iPad right now (don't currently own one of any size) and I'd just like to know what the pricing is going to be on the 12.9" iPad Air (if they actually plan to release that product) so that I can make the decision to buy one or fall back to my "Plan B" and buy a used/refurbed previous-gen 12.9" Pro. I'm just stuck in this limbo until they release the info and it gets more irritating every day.

Maybe the OLED panels require special code that doesn't exist in the latest iPadOS version.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
How did they develop this thing without proper software and drivers? I’d have to imagine the software largely came up with the hardware. I can see where an early prototype wouldn’t have viable software, but this is just an iterative product.
Not really, there's a different version of software used all through the design and all the way through to engineering validation. Basically, think of it as alpha and beta versions that are not fit for a consumer product because they're buggy or just 'placeholders' or things created specifically to aid testing.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
My uncle Sal has been going to local Apple Store every morning for the last two weeks; hoping for info or a release.

• Haha
Reactions: Raven65

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I think inventory is dictating the iPad Pro launch. If they do not have enough to sell, they will not launch. I remember back in 2011 for iPad 2, I stood out in the rain for 4 hours in front of an Apple Store. They waited until they opened and told us no new iPads had arrived. It took about 2 to 3 months before they got enough iPads to sell. Then 6 months later they updated that iPad to a lightning connector.

• Wow
Reactions: jazz1

Raven65

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Maybe the OLED panels require special code that doesn't exist in the latest iPadOS version.
No way. Any drivers needed for the display would be at the hardware level in an iPad - and that would have been finalized very early on in the development cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: gluckett

Raven65

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
I think inventory is dictating the iPad Pro launch. If they do not have enough to sell, they will not launch. I remember back in 2011 for iPad 2, I stood out in the rain for 4 hours in front of an Apple Store. They waited until they opened and told us no new iPads had arrived. It took about 2 to 3 months before they got enough iPads to sell. Then 6 months later they updated that iPad to a lightning connector.
Doesn't prevent them from releasing the information and taking pre-orders online. They should have done that at the same time as the M3 Macbook Air release a few weeks ago when it was expected. But... Apple.

Reactions: jazz1

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
The rumor adding power and OLED screen to iPad seems a waste. Until the iPad does everything the Mac does with a touch screen, the iPad will essentially remain a consumption device not a creator. So many of the iPad apps are missing key feature found only in the Mac OS. The most obvious a file system. While some can use the iPad only, I find many trips to the Mac to finish many tasks. Now I start my tasks on the Mac and read the results on the iPad. even for simple tasks like grocery lists. Works much better on the Mac.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
My 2 telco account managers told me the same thing. 1st week April.
Ohhh interesting. That'd be nice. My gut instinct is we'll get an announcement next week or the week after.
But I don't know if it would be available for immediate purchase if the new iPadOS isn't ready.

Rambaldi

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
In Gurman’s latest Bloomberg newsletter, there’s a question about “Why are consumers so interested in the new iPad Pro release” behind the paywall.

Anybody have a Bloomberg subscription who can see? Curious if he clarified anything regarding his date predictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.