Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I think the announcement will be next week. Pre-orders to begin 3/29 and shipments the 1st week of April.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Omigod can these iPads just be released now! The suspense is killing me. Not that I am going to get one anytime soon!

Reactions: Matcha

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
I’ve never seen so much talk of a special iPadOS variant before a release. Seems a little unusual to me, but maybe there’s something to it. I guess this could mean that the new iPads could have some exclusive features right out of the gate, instead of getting those features later in the year. Or something…

I think most of this will be software around the new Pencil which is rumoured to have changeable heads and colour detection.

What I don't believe Gurman on is that this special iPadOS will need to be sent to factories to be installed. They will just do an OTA update when you turn it on, Apple has done this a few times before.

Jimczer

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2021
Gurman is becoming a joking and losing any credibility that I never thought he had. He keeps throwing out leaks that leave him so much wiggle room without ever admitting hes ever wrong. He keeps back tracking and always makes comments leaving so many questions and doubts. Any of us can make the estimates hes making buy saying ipad pros will be released in of March or something in April but could be pushed later, what kind of garbage is that. If he doesnt have any idea then shut up and wait until he does. Hes been more wrong lately than right. And I’ll say it again, the way he always makes his predictions any of us can do what hes doing and then deny being wrong because he leaves so much room for excuses. At this point I was looking forward to the new ipad pros but Im at the point I can care less. Whenever apple gets around to selling them so be it. I’ll wait a year and get one for $400 cheaper. I think at this point Apple is speading themselves too thin and getting involved in too many products and cant handle the load of production. And if after this long of time and whenever they decide to release the new ipad pros and dare to raise the price by some that predicts a $700 price increase because of OLED they are crazy, there is no way in hell that OLED would increase the price by that much and if they dare do it I hope people simple say screw that and move on to something else. Get the M1 or M2 ipad pro and save yourself a $1000 because Im certain you would feel a $1000 difference with them being side by side. And for Gurman get another job, we are tired of your weak an useless predictions.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
3rd party cases for the iPads are already listed as being available on the 26th. i believe those more than this guy
Third party sellers are just basing it off the rumors. They don't have internal information from Apple.

JoCoWashington

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
New Mexico
Gurman is becoming a joking and losing any credibility that I never thought he had. He keeps throwing out leaks that leave him so much wiggle room without ever admitting hes ever wrong. He keeps back tracking and always makes comments leaving so many questions and doubts. Any of us can make the estimates hes making buy saying ipad pros will be released in of March or something in April but could be pushed later, what kind of garbage is that. If he doesnt have any idea then shut up and wait until he does. Hes been more wrong lately than right. And I’ll say it again, the way he always makes his predictions any of us can do what hes doing and then deny being wrong because he leaves so much room for excuses. At this point I was looking forward to the new ipad pros but Im at the point I can care less. Whenever apple gets around to selling them so be it. I’ll wait a year and get one for $400 cheaper. I think at this point Apple is speading themselves too thin and getting involved in too many products and cant handle the load of production. And if after this long of time and whenever they decide to release the new ipad pros and dare to raise the price by some that predicts a $700 price increase because of OLED they are crazy, there is no way in hell that OLED would increase the price by that much and if they dare do it I hope people simple say screw that and move on to something else. Get the M1 or M2 ipad pro and save yourself a $1000 because Im certain you would feel a $1000 difference with them being side by side. And for Gurman get another job, we are tired of your weak an useless predictions.
💯
It is like getting your palm read - "Oh, I see you will meet someone in the next year whose mother has recently an iPad"

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Based on what we believe is changing (change in camera orientation and the Apple Pencil required) the variant of iPadOS required to run it will be different from what we have on existing iPad Pros. It appears that iPadOS17.4 is the first version that will have that capability. It’s clear from the stories that iPadOS 17.4 is running late, so a release candidate is not yet ready to be sent to the production facilities.
What are you talking about? iPadOS 17.4 has already been released.

Reactions: alecgold

Raven65

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
So tired of hearing about Mark freaking Gurman. Mark Gurman says this and Mark Gurman says that. Blah blah blah. It's not like he's a spokesman for Apple... he's just a reporter for Bloomberg. Big deal. So he's had some decent information in the past... doesn't make what he says the gospel - but everybody is quoting him like it is. I hope he is proven dead wrong this time so we can stop hearing about him.

But I get it. In the utter vacuum of information coming from Apple and the hype machine turned up to 11 for these new iPads, all of the media sites are clinging to any shred of (mis)information they can get and are passing it on to us. After all, this site is called MacRumors.

Really getting tired of being strung along with this product drop. I just want a 12.9" iPad at a decent price - mainly to display sheet music on - and also general media consumption. Don't need a camera capable of photographing the surface of Mars... don't need a CPU that can rival a Cray supercomputer, don't need an 18k resolution OLED screen. I'm still clinging to hope that they will EVENTUALLY drop the new 12.9" iPad Air with modest specs and a reasonable price. I would have just bought an older used/refurbished 12.9" iPad Pro by now (and will if Apple prices the new one too high), but those are still fairly expensive unless you get a really old one, but I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on an unknown quantity. Don't know how it was treated, the condition of the battery, etc. In the case of the really old ones, you don't know how much longer it'll continue to get OS updates. I want a NEW one.

Come ON already, Apple! I don't care if they're only available for pre-order now and won't ship until May! Just drop the info now!!!

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
You guys are on a roll on this thread, have been chuckling along all three pages long 🤣
I guess at the least these frustratingly vague non-commitment announcement rumors do provide entertainment value.

So tired of hearing about Mark freaking Gurman
Oh man, these personalities… they tend to come and go, except Mark.
I still remember the days of the “honorable” (or something along those lines was referred sometimes!) Ming Chi Kuo, the Prosser circus, random tweeters, etc
But Mark over here? He has stayed.

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
It gives retailers a chance to discount current iPads for Easter sales 🤷‍♂️
I think this is our best clue. Retailers may not be privy to what’s coming out when but they do generally get guidance on when they should run their sales, and there are currently several iPad Pro deals (e.g., Costco) that don’t end until March 31.

Raven65

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
You guys are on a roll on this thread, have been chuckling along all three pages long 🤣
I guess at the least these frustratingly vague non-commitment announcement rumors do provide entertainment value.

Oh man, these personalities… they tend to come and go, except Mark.
I still remember the days of the “honorable” (or something along those lines was referred sometimes!) Ming Chi Kuo, the Prosser circus, random tweeters, etc
But Mark over here? He has stayed.
Interesting. I've only been in the Apple ecosystem for 6 years or so, and don't usually follow all the hype and rumors of upcoming Apple products very closely - until this iPad, that is - and only now because I actually need it ASAP - and because it was expected to be released at the same time the new M3 Macbook Air was a few weeks ago. I've been checking the news every day since and, while I swear I've never even heard of Gurman until now, he's being quoted everywhere like he's Steve Jobs' illegitimate son or something.

I just think it's silly and annoying that Apple is dragging this release out like this while remaining completely tight-lipped about it - leaving the door open for people like Gurman to make a name for themselves off of it. It almost makes me want to punt and go buy a Samsung tablet instead.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Interesting. I've only been in the Apple ecosystem for 6 years or so, and don't usually follow all the hype and rumors of upcoming Apple products very closely - until this iPad, that is - and only now because I actually need it ASAP - and because it was expected to be released at the same time the new M3 Macbook Air was a few weeks ago. I've been checking the news every day since and, while I swear I've never even heard of Gurman until now, he's being quoted everywhere like he's Steve Jobs' illegitimate son or something.

I just think it's silly and annoying that Apple is dragging this release out like this while remaining completely tight-lipped about it - leaving the door open for people like Gurman to make a name for themselves off of it. It almost makes me want to punt and go buy a Samsung tablet instead.

I don't think they are "dragging it out." But they may not be ready to go yet. Allegedly, the software is the holdup.

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017

Earlier this week, leaker "Instant Digital" on Chinese blogging site Weibo claimed that Apple will be making an iPad-related announcement next Tuesday, March 26, suggesting a potential press release introduction ahead of pre-orders and a launch date. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has now weighed in, however, to say that this claim is "not true."

When-To-Expect-New-iPads-Feature-1.5.jpg

While disputing a March 26 announcement, Gurman has not shared any specific claims of his own regarding an announcement or launch date for the new iPad Pro and iPad Air models that are in the works, recently pointing to a general time frame of "around the end of March or in April."

Gurman offered a bit more color on the timing in the most recent edition of his Power On newsletter, saying that the "variant of iPadOS 17.4" that will ship on the new iPad models won't be ready until at least late this month, with it potentially taking "a couple weeks" to get the software installed on the initial shipments. That timing, Gurman says, will likely take things "deeper into next month" for a launch of the new iPads although an announcement could happen a bit sooner.

Alongside revamped iPad Pro models with OLED displays, Apple's M3 chip, and additional enhancements, we're also expecting updated iPad Air models including a new 12.9-inch size option. Apple is reportedly planning to introduce a new Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro and a new Apple Pencil.

Article Link: Gurman: No iPad Announcement Planned for March 26
They've been wrong how many times now lol I'd rather they didn't release it until October so they can have the new m Chips. Too boring to be released now and immediately be obsolete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.