Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summiter

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
I’ll take Gurman’s mostly valid info over that loudmouth Prosser’s made up nonsense any day. Gurman is one of the better-connected media folks, with sources across Apple and supply chains.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
probably WWDC. Apple is cheaping out Flat iPad and Mac Sales. So why not save it for 1 event.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
😂🤣😂🤣😂 if you believe Gurman I've got some snow to sell you....

Guys bean wrong on Apple device launch schedules, especially iPads, more times than I've been on this forum. 🤣😂

Last edited:

F-B-Z

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
Germany
Since iPhones and iPads have moved from radical to incremental innovations per device generation, why not create excitement about the announcement itself?

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
I’ve never seen so much talk of a special iPadOS variant before a release. Seems a little unusual to me, but maybe there’s something to it. I guess this could mean that the new iPads could have some exclusive features right out of the gate, instead of getting those features later in the year. Or something…
Based on what we believe is changing (change in camera orientation and the Apple Pencil required) the variant of iPadOS required to run it will be different from what we have on existing iPad Pros. It appears that iPadOS17.4 is the first version that will have that capability. It’s clear from the stories that iPadOS 17.4 is running late, so a release candidate is not yet ready to be sent to the production facilities.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Microsoft's new OLED Surface device announcement is today. The new ARM variants should be interesting.

Will be interesting to see the pricing they use on their OLED models, it could give an indication of what pricing Apple will use, I expect a price bump on them.

MAlbi

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2022
As mini 5 user, satisfied, mini only because of PPI density and durability, my next ipad if any will be entry ipad with fixed form factor durability. In other words successful bend test that does not destroy the tablet. I wish you all best, enjoy air, enjoy pro. For me those devices are not worth the money.

Reactions: zkap

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
With all those changes to camera position, thinner bezels, whatever else is coming, is it time to make the iPad a landscape tablet and also rotate the Apple logo on the back?

lucasajackson

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
Based on what we believe is changing (change in camera orientation and the Apple Pencil required) the variant of iPadOS required to run it will be different from what we have on existing iPad Pros. It appears that iPadOS17.4 is the first version that will have that capability. It’s clear from the stories that iPadOS 17.4 is running late, so a release candidate is not yet ready to be sent to the production facilities.
How did they develop this thing without proper software and drivers? I’d have to imagine the software largely came up with the hardware. I can see where an early prototype wouldn’t have viable software, but this is just an iterative product.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
As mini 5 user, satisfied, mini only because of PPI density and durability, my next ipad if any will be entry ipad with fixed form factor durability. In other words successful bend test that does not destroy the tablet. I wish you all best, enjoy air, enjoy pro. For me those devices are not worth the money.
The mini has way too many compromises for me, but I’m glad it’s there for folks like you.

Reactions: alecgold

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Well, it's barely worth releasing new iPads until they improve the OS... certainly not until they announce an improved OS at WWDC!

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I'd argue there doesn't need to be three lines of iPads- two is enough. Also, one pencil to rule them all would make some logical sense in 2024 (all 2024 iPads, I mean).

Crap/good/great is a weird bit of differentiation in the world of Apple. The base models cut too many corners and make too many concessions, in a way iPads a decade ago did not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.