Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Quick question: does this game run in 30 fps or 60 fps? I'm asking because I'm extremely spoiled by Half-Life 2 and FEAR running on an 8800 GTX... :)

I wish I had a 360 so I could participate in this beta...Oh well. When the final game comes around that's when I'll be picking up my 360 :D

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I don't recall seeing anywhere a specific framerate, but if you watch a video of the beta available on Bungie's website, you'll notice that it runs quite smoothly. :)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Just went out last night and rented crackdown, I think I got the last copy in the area. Went to the downloads section and there was the option to download Halo 3 beta, obviously it was still grayed out until the 16th. I'll just play crackdown until then :).

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
To those who have mentioned the graphics, Bungie still says they aren't the final graphics for the game.

Whether that's just a PR line, who knows... I still think it looks pretty dang good (watch the HD videos from gametrailers.com)

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I know its been asked but may i please have a code?!

I dont have a 360 but my friend and I really wanna play Halo 3 on his 360!

I REALLY NEED ONE! :)

PLEASE PEOPLE!

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
To those who have mentioned the graphics, Bungie still says they aren't the final graphics for the game.

Whether that's just a PR line, who knows... I still think it looks pretty dang good (watch the HD videos from gametrailers.com)

They look pretty good just that for me at least, Gears of War set the bar. And since Halo 3 is the most xbox xbox game around, it shouldn't be trumped by a third party dev.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

When we fired up the Beta on Friday damn near the whole office rotated thru to see what was going on. I'm sad to say that GT was getting it's butt kicked for the first couple of games until we adjusted to the new controls. As far as the graphics go they definitely look better than H2, but they aren't jaw dropping like Gears. Unless Bungie pulls a rabbit out of it's hat (or the single player gfx are much better than the MP gfx) this isn't going to be the most graphically impressive 360 game. But, I'm looking forward to the new maps, weapons, and equipment (mines, bubble shield, portable jump pad, etc.,) so if gfx were sacrificed for game play I'm not going to complain. Having top tier gfx would be icing on the cake, but if you don't have any cake what good does that icing do you?

Lethal

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
not sure if renting will work...

Why not? We have 2 confirmed on this forum (and probably a lot more). They released the Beta basically on every Crackdown disc. You can still buy it at the store with the beta invite. I've rented it and looked in the download section and it said, check back later for H3 Beta download.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
wow... i shoudl try that now... would it still work even if the beta has already started??? And has anybody absolutley just rented a crackdown and got the code and it worked? Wow... I should have thought of that. I need an answer very soon, or else, well, i think the beta downloads will stop because it's already started.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm sure you could rent/buy Crackdown anytime in the next 3 weeks and it would work, but I doubt there is an available rental in your area now.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I'm currently behind my company's Great Firewall, so can't wander around the wider web (MR isn't blocked, luckily!), but...

Is the beta live now? I think it was noon UK time (could be 1pm BST I suppose). Actually quite looking forward to getting home and getting online.

Halo multiplayer has always been great fun. Even some of my die-hard PC FPS fans have come to enjoy the style of Halo's multiplayer. Some of the gameplay tweaks look quite interesting this time around.

Graphics-wise, I'm not too concerned if it's not absolutely bleeding-edge. Myself and many friends still prefer Quake 3 Arena for deathmatches and CTF even after all these years. There's something about the gameplay and the map familiarity that makes it great.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
According to the Bungie site, it went live 12:15 Eastern, but there's a been a problem with the Cracdown download, and bungies said it will be fixed fairly soon. I hope they do, I want to play.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
According to the Bungie site, it went live 12:15 Eastern, but there's a been a problem with the Cracdown download, and bungies said it will be fixed fairly soon. I hope they do, I want to play.

*sigh*

Yep - it's kaput.

Either Bungie or (more likely) the Xbox Live team have fubar'd it. Grr! 10 or so hours after the scheduled release and still not able to download the beta via Crackdown.

The bungie.net and xbox.com forums have gone absolutely ballistic!

Frustrating, but kinda funny :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
No offense, but...it looks like a great shooter, but as I watch the footage, I get this "seen one FPS, seen 'em all".

Excellent explosive animations as the vehicle died was probably the most impressive part.

Does anyone know why Halo got an M rating? I don't see anything in there particularly worse than Call of Duty 2 and 3 (both of which got a T rating), and since you're killing aliens instead of humans, it should be even less.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
i second goldeneye!!! best n64 game ever... jk, but it is fun sometimes. Anyways, the graphics may not be the best, but they are certainly better than halo 2's, even in the beta. And watching those plasmas blow, mesmerizes you. Amazing what technology can do for our entertainment.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Only two shooters have given me that amazing feeling: Goldeneye and Halo 2...

i second goldeneye!!! best n64 game ever... jk, but it is fun sometimes. Anyways, the graphics may not be the best, but they are certainly better than halo 2's, even in the beta. And watching those plasmas blow, mesmerizes you. Amazing what technology can do for our entertainment.

Perfect Dark is up there too for me.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Goldeneye and Halo were awesome in my book because of their local mutliplayer. Very addictive gameplay. Honestly, past HL2 I can't enjoy online FPS games. so... do we know if Halo 3 will have a LAN option too?

Then again I suppose it all rests on "Will Halo 3 be better than Halo 2". Bungie better not drop the ball on this one.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Yeah... hl2 is awesome... anyways couple things about the beta:

1. Has anybody confired for sure that you can rent Crackdown, and recieve the beta code???

2. How long do we still have to sign up for the beta until we arent allowed to or theres a download or code deadline?

Thats it... Anyways, im very desperate to get a code, looks awesomely fun.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
1. You don't receive a code if you get the beta the Crackdown way. You simply go to the Downloads menu and select the option to grab the beta.

2. Don't think anybody but Bungie knows at this point.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Anyone got into the beta so far? I heard the Crackdown problem is fixed. Still waiting for my code if it's possible...

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
I am in through Crackdown.

Also, I rented a copy from Blockbuster (got it free by signing up for a trial of their online service to boot). As far as I know you must have the disc in when you play.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I rented Crackdown a week ago, knowing Beta was coming. Played for a couple of hours, pretty cool. It's pretty much H2 with more stuff everywhere. I only played on 2 levels, rumble training. Tomorrow I'll play some more. Gotta get used to the controls a little more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.