Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Its up you guys/gals!

Those of you with Crackdown can now download the Beta.

AND because or the delay Bungie extended the beta untol June 10th:)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
I wish I had a code in my hands now. I'm dying to get into this game but Crackdown is just not my thing, else I would've bought it.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I don't know why people are complaining about the graphics, I think they are great. Everything is buttery-smooth with lots of details in the environment. I think they may do something similar to what happened in Ghost Recon, where the developer simplified the graphics a bit in the multiplayer to make it run better. Halo is the only game series where I completely forget about the graphics and just enjoy playing the game, so I will be very happy if the end result is atleast how this beta looks.

I was only able to play one game before I left for work, but in that one game I wa hooked. It felt familar enough that I could pick it right up, but different enough to be exciting and new. I like all the new grenades, I don't feel like they can be thrown as far as in Halo 2, that was something I will have to get used to. Also, reloading took me a minute as I am used to X being reload.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
I don't know why people are complaining about the graphics, I think they are great. Everything is buttery-smooth with lots of details in the environment. I think they may do something similar to what happened in Ghost Recon, where the developer simplified the graphics a bit in the multiplayer to make it run better. Halo is the only game series where I completely forget about the graphics and just enjoy playing the game, so I will be very happy if the end result is atleast how this beta looks.

I was only able to play one game before I left for work, but in that one game I wa hooked. It felt familar enough that I could pick it right up, but different enough to be exciting and new. I like all the new grenades, I don't feel like they can be thrown as far as in Halo 2, that was something I will have to get used to. Also, reloading took me a minute as I am used to X being reload.

The graphics are sub-par. Looks washed out and soft. I don't know what res they are letting this run at, but it looks rather low.

The only detail I am really seeing is the water. Everything else, including the characters are rather lacking compared to Halo 2. I agree that gameplay is important but we are moving to an HD age of high res and high detail. I know everyone does this, but GoW looks much better. And I expect no less from Halo 3, plus it is better on the eyes.

Gameplay was alright, it could be good but I am lacking as I havent played Halo in a couple years. The FOV feels a bit too zoomed.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Again, like I've mentioned in other threads about XBL-downloaded demos, the easiest things for studios to reduce to keep download sizes down are textures and model details.

You can't trim down the game engine and keep it the same game, but you can quite easily reduce texture detail without too much effort. Plus, that sort of change doesn't affect the testing of the network infrastructure -- an important aspect of the beta.

So, to keep Halo 3 down to under a gig download, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the graphical detail has been lowered.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I played 3 or 4 matches and I just can't get into it.

It's not a bad game by any means. I guess I've just gotten used to and enjoyed games like Ghost Recon and its pacing.

I'm not used to having opposition run and gun against me, so I'm getting killed left and right and not enjoying that fact too much. :p

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
need, beta code... Anyways... So for sure, you can download the beta by a crackdown disc from renting???

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
The graphics are sub-par. Looks washed out and soft. I don't know what res they are letting this run at, but it looks rather low.

The only detail I am really seeing is the water. Everything else, including the characters are rather lacking compared to Halo 2. I agree that gameplay is important but we are moving to an HD age of high res and high detail. I know everyone does this, but GoW looks much better. And I expect no less from Halo 3, plus it is better on the eyes.

Gameplay was alright, it could be good but I am lacking as I havent played Halo in a couple years. The FOV feels a bit too zoomed.

I would say the graphics are just a notch below average for the 360. It doesn't really matter much for me though, multi still looks pretty. But yea, GoW wins in grapics.

i didn't like it that much... not too different from Halo 2 =/

Yea, it's basically the same formula, but they amped up everything (vehicles, weapons, games, and interface). They pretty much took into account all the things that aren't that great in Halo 2. I'd still say it a good progression. There's nothing revolutionary, but I don't think they need that. They have something good so I don't think they need to mess with it too much.

I played 3 or 4 matches and I just can't get into it.

It's not a bad game by any means. I guess I've just gotten used to and enjoyed games like Ghost Recon and its pacing.

I'm not used to having opposition run and gun against me, so I'm getting killed left and right and not enjoying that fact too much. :p

Run and gun, that's what I like about this game. You just keep goin at it, and see who comes out on top.

need, beta code... Anyways... So for sure, you can download the beta by a crackdown disc from renting???

Yea you download Beta from the CD menu and also launch the Beta from CD's download menu. Go rent it if you can.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
I would say the graphics are just a notch below average for the 360. It doesn't really matter much for me though, multi still looks pretty. But yea, GoW wins in grapics.

Agreed. I wasn't all over the graphics when I got into it last night.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Agreed. I wasn't all over the graphics when I got into it last night.

Played it a lot more last night... I stand by my comment that texture and model detail may have been reduced to keep the download size reasonable. The level of detail is simply not quite 'there'.

To illustrate the point, those of you with Crackdown -- download the Crackdown demo from the Marketplace. Same game engine, but compare the quality of the textures and models. The released game is much better than the demo.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Jerno what I think? This is just a beta for gameplay.

It's not like a PC beta where they take down stats for each system (Valve). Theres only 1 360. They simply don't need to beta the graphics because how it runs on 1 is reflective of the 7 or so million 360's out there. Which is why there isn't that graphical distraction of "oooh, pretty!" It's just the game running on the bear minimum for maximum framerates.

There is no doubt in my mind that the finished game will be comparable to other AAA 360 games. Just as Retro helped build the Wii for Nintendo, Bungie likely helped craft the 360 to take advantage of Halo 3.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT

It's not like a PC beta where they take down stats for each system (Valve). Theres only 1 360. They simply don't need to beta the graphics because how it runs on 1 is reflective of the 7 or so million 360's out there. Which is why there isn't that graphical distraction of "oooh, pretty!" It's just the game running on the bear minimum for maximum framerates.

There is no doubt in my mind that the finished game will be comparable to other AAA 360 games. Just as Retro helped build the Wii for Nintendo, Bungie likely helped craft the 360 to take advantage of Halo 3.

Exactly, I'm sure Bungie has known about and had a 360 dev kit longer than any other developer. As you said, they probably helped develop the system, with Microsoft asking them what would make it easiest for them to code for and building a system around that. I have very little doubt that the final game will look better than the beta. But honestly, when it comes to Halo, I really could care less about graphics and more about keeping their core game play the same.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
anybody can say something about how it compares to lets say Unreal Tournament 2007/3 ? anybody seen/played both ?

i remember being mighty impressed in 2005 by the UT alpha gameplay demo showed at GC05 and the new trailers with the gameplay footage it looks even more impressive and detailed

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR

While this could be true, Bungie has said otherwise. Directly saying the gameplay isn't what is being tested, that they believe they already have that and the balance nailed down.

I do agree this isn't about the graphics though. Which means this has got to be more about the network code (matching system, stress test, etc). It's also a big hype machine too, imo.

With more vehicles and more weapons not even in the Beta, it definitely seems to indicate this is not about graphics or gameplay, they've been play testing the heck out of this internally already, so this is a big Press Event and network test, I believe.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
yeah gotta agree with Haoshiro

if it were about balancing, then leaving out weapons and vehicles wouldn't make much sense

this is more about creating buzz: aren't all game outlets in the net constantly talking about halo3 compared to let's say 2 months ago ?

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
ok... so... rent crackdown, you can download the beta for sure??? And, do you need the crackdown disc in to play it?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
They've left stuff out? ah, so it probably isn't about gameplay after all :eek:
Then again, why would they do this? There has been a huge backlash to the graphics so it can't be just to build up hype. For a multiplayer BETA you basically have only a few ingredients - graphics, gameplay, sound, and to bug test.

Anyroad. If it does play like Halo 2 then it won't be a blind purchase for me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.