Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacooch

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Did you replace the card also ?

I have an early 2011 macbook pro 15" model A1286

Yes, I had to replace my card. Easy to do:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...2011+AirPort-Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/5886

Here is a relist of the buyer I bought the card from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MacBook...ort-Extreme-Card-for-2011-2012-/281462221916?

I can't confirm this is the same card, but I blieve it is, and yes, he jacked the price up already!!! Lol, gotta love capitalism!

Good Luck...

Last edited:

jtheogr

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...2011+AirPort-Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/5886

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MacBook...ort-Extreme-Card-for-2011-2012-/281462221916?

I can't confirm this is the same card, but I blieve it is, and yes, he jacked the price up already!!! Lol, gotta love capitalism!

Good Luck...

Thanks

Does anybody know if we can do this trick to be permanent because i think that we must do ti again at every update of Yosemite.

xakerbox

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Dear friends, could you help me. Now I Have working HandOff, but I can't turn on the Discoverability go bluetooth (MB Air mid 2011). So, in few minutes of working with HandOff (in both directions: OS X - iOS) it suddenly stops. To turn it again I have to enter to bluetooth settings on my Mac. And it's proceeds working again...

The other question: when I try to make a call via iPhone from Mac, the mac says «iPhone has to use the aim account of iCloud»... But they are same? How can I solve it?

Thank you!!! You're great!

evsp341995

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Mac-

When I run ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}' I get Mac-F22586C8

I have replaced the board and it comes up LMP Version 0x6

I have tried all the steps three times and cannot get allow handoff to show up. What have I done wrong?

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
For your research, I got an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) and Handoff is not supported. I have a question, do I have to have Handoff supported in order to make phone calls from my iMac?

No you don't. SMS and call forwarding does not require Handoff. It works older older Macs and iDevices which don't have low power Bluetooth. SMS will only work once I devices are upgraded to iOS 8.1 (out Monday).

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks

Does anybody know if we can do this trick to be permanent because i think that we must do ti again at every update of Yosemite.

It will only effect this mod if the iobluetoothfamily and/or io80211family kexts get updated. During the DPs and PB period they left these files alone until the very end. So it shouldn't be every update.
Best thing to do is make a copy of the modified kexts, and kext drop them in if it does get updated and it doesn't work anymore. If you have those kexts on file it goes from about 30 steps to about 6 very easy ones.

vobb

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Thank you for this guide, to me the steps seems quite easy and straight forward.

Im on a MBA mid 2011 and for some reason I can't get handoff show up in system preferences/general and system report always says no handoff.

Im pretty sure I do all the steps correctly, I don't use copy and paste in 0xED and so on. Im wondering what the terminal should say after each command when doing this correctly.

After I run sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel in step 25 I get the following and nothing more:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOBluetoothFamily.kext

It clearly does something with IOBluetoothFamily.kext, but Im thinking it should say something about the other file IO80211Family.kext as well, right?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thank you for this guide, to me the steps seems quite easy and straight forward.

Im on a MBA mid 2011 and for some reason I can't get handoff show up in system preferences/general and system report always says no handoff.

Im pretty sure I do all the steps correctly, I don't use copy and paste in 0xED and so on. Im wondering what the terminal should say after each command when doing this correctly.

After I run sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel in step 25 I get the following and nothing more:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOBluetoothFamily.kext

It clearly does something with IOBluetoothFamily.kext, but Im thinking it should say something about the other file IO80211Family.kext as well, right?

The printout for IOBluetooth Family.kext is correct, there should be a similar one for IO80211Family.Kext as well you are correct, so it seems you did the bluetooth correctly but the IO80211Family.kext something isn't right.

vFranko

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Hey there I have a little Problem with Handbreak, I've done the whole TUTORIAL several times and it is still not working. Can someone please help me?

So I can enable the Handoff button on the > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> GENERAL. I can also use AirDrop and the FaceTime calls, bur the all of the Handoff features aren't working.

My iOS-Device is an iPhone 5 with 8.0.2.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Im not sure why but it is working now :D I`ve done nothing just was 2 hours not on the Mac and the done this Post. Thanke you all for the Tutorial.

Last edited:

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hey there I have a little Problem with Handbreak, I've done the whole TUTORIAL several times and it is still not working. Can someone please help me?

So I can enable the Handoff button on the > SYSTEM PREFERENCES> GENERAL. I can also use AirDrop and the FaceTime calls, bur the all of the Handoff features aren't working.

My iOS-Device is an iPhone 5 with 8.0.2.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know what Handbreak the video coding software has to do with it. Hah but I got you.

Did you look thru the troubleshooting at the bottom? also make sure you don't have the devices paired in bluetooth.

The mod is doing its job if you now have the handoff switch under general, so I would reboot your devices a couple times and if that doesn't fix it log in and out of i cloud on both devices and log back in on the computer first then the phone.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Yep that was the key for me as well. Followed the steps 3 different times last night to no avail. Today I didn't even mod them again, just used your additional instructions to delete the original kexts, clear cache, reboot (lost wifi and bluetooth), kext dropped the ones I modified last night, cleared cache again and rebooted. After it rebooted I finally saw:

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes
Handoff Supported: Yes
Instant Hotspot Supported: Yes

Hallelujah! So my kext edits were in fact done properly--the system just wouldn't take one or both when using the steps in dokterdok's tutorial (not sure why it did work for others).

Anyway, might be worth updating the tutorial to incorporate these additional steps as that was definitely the key for several of us with the 2011 MBA.

These extra steps worked for me after numerous tries on my Mid 2011 MBA. Handoff now working. Worth a try for anyone hitting a wall. Worth adding to the OP UncleSchnitty?

turbo06

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
The printout for IOBluetooth Family.kext is correct, there should be a similar one for IO80211Family.Kext as well you are correct, so it seems you did the bluetooth correctly but the IO80211Family.kext something isn't right.
Mine does the same as this. It allows bluetooth family kext to load but says
macbookair-4:~ larrycoleman$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

But nothing about IO80211

galapas

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Mine does the same as this. It allows bluetooth family kext to load but says
macbookair-4:~ larrycoleman$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

But nothing about IO80211

Same for me.

atacotaco

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Im stuck here I had this working on Public Beta but I did a fresh install of Yosemite now I keep getting this at step #25, Ive tried over and over again and repaired permissions between each time.
any tips, of course I forgot to backup the kexts but I do have old versions from my backed up Yosemite beta

IOBluetoothHostControllerUARTTransport.kext has no Info.plist file.
IOBluetoothFamily.kext is invalid; can't resolve dependencies.
BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
IOBluetoothFamily.kext is not valid; omitting.
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AirPortBrcm4360.kext
AppleBluetoothHIDMouse.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
AppleBluetoothHIDKeyboard.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext - missing load info or dependencies array in applier function.
/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext - missing load info or dependencies array in applier function.
Can't resolve dependencies amongst kexts for prelinked kernel.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.​

galapas

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
These extra steps worked for me after numerous tries on my Mid 2011 MBA. Handoff now working. Worth a try for anyone hitting a wall. Worth adding to the OP UncleSchnitty?

Holy cow. Just did this and it is finally showing up for me.

Btw when I cleared the cache neither IOBluetoothFamily.kext or IO80211 showed up as being invalid but allowed through dev mode but after restart handoff was there. Did one more repair permissions, restarted and handoff was still there.

Alex-90

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I really thought that i hade copied the original kex files but turned out i didn't when i needed to retry the whole process.
Can anyone please share their original kex file(if that will work for me)?

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

Good Luck...

Do you mind me asking how much you paid? Since the seller raised the price. Thanks.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
This tutorial worked perfectly for me after following the clear directions slowly. Thank you again.

Day 1, handoff worked great between by Mac Mini 2011 and iPhone 6. Either direction was working smoothly.

Today, day 3, I can only hand off from my computer to my phone. Anything I do on my phone does not show up in the dock of my computer.

Do we have others having this same issue? Is it related to this "fix", or is it handoff problems in general?

Master Fwiffo

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2003
As someone who fines playing with code utterly intimidating, I have a question.

Would just buying a Bluetooth adapter for USB make Handoff work? I've been really looking forward to the feature, but I don't want to risk bricking my mac by doing code editing and screwing up as I am very likely to do. I have a Mid 2011 Mac Minim and if $20 will get Handoff to work, I'd happily spend those $20 rather than risk venturing into the depth of Mordor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.