Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
So I have identified about 19 movies that I own that should be available in 3D, but for some reason are only available in 2D for me. Has anyone else had any issues with movies where the 3D version isn’t available?

I’m on visionOS 1.0.2, maybe 1.1 will fix that issue for me.

Here’s my list of movies and tell me if they are working for you or not:

1. Aladdin (2019)
  2. Avatar (There is a second version available for purchase for some reason)
  3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
  4. Coco
  5. Dr. Strange
  6. Godzilla: King of Monsters
  7. Hotel Transylvania 2
  8. Hotel Transylvania 3
  9. Inside Out
  10. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
  11. Jumanji: The Next Level
  12. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  13. Rampage
  14. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  15. Star Trek: Into Darkness
  16. Star Trek Beyond
  17. Jungle Book (2016)
  18. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
  19. The Suicide Squad (2021)

Attachments

• IMG_1761.png
    IMG_1761.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
People who bought their movies not from Apple but from other places like Movies Anywhere have reported having only 2D versions.

Reactions: G5isAlive

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
People who bought their movies not from Apple but from other places like Movies Anywhere have reported having only 2D versions.
I’ve verified that at least one of the movies (Dr. Strange) was bought directly on my iPhone from the iTunes Store app.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Edited. I had listed 3D movies which were in my iTunes which I assumed were from Movies Anywhere. They were not. The digital codes were registered with iTunes.

Last edited:

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Would be nice if this is fixed. Most of my movies were digital redeem codes from 4K disc. I should have nearly every movie they offer in 3D, but instead only have two. My guess is it will be fixed considering there is no way to "upgrade" to the 3D version.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I noticed that none of the Star Wars are showing up 3D in the TV app but Star Trek movies do (the last 2). Is the only way to watch the Star Wars in 3D through Disney+?

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I’m having this issue with Dr. Strange. I bought all of my movies directly from Apple and have never redeemed one through a code. All of the movies I bought that have 3D versions available are there for me except Dr. Strange.

I called Apple Support and they found it in my purchase history but couldn’t explain why it wasn’t available in 3D other than to say it’s probably mislabeled in the store as saying there is a 3D version when, in fact, there actually isn’t one. I’m not sure I buy that explanation.

Has anybody with a Vision Pro who bought Dr. Strange or rented it from Apple been able to view it in 3D? I’m talking about the first movie and not the second? I can watch a 3D version in Disney+ but might not always subscribe and really would like to have this in 3D if a 3D version is really there and their explanation was just a cop out.

I’d be very interested to hear from anybody who owns it or bought it and can play it in 3D from Apple’s store and not via the Disney+ app or maybe if really is mislabeled in their store and nobody can watch the first one in 3D unless they watch it in the Disney+ app.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I’m having this issue with Dr. Strange. I bought all of my movies directly from Apple and have never redeemed one through a code. All of the movies I bought that have 3D versions available are there for me except Dr. Strange.

I called Apple Support and they found it in my purchase history but couldn’t explain why it wasn’t available in 3D other than to say it’s probably mislabeled in the store as saying there is a 3D version when, in fact, there actually isn’t one. I’m not sure I buy that explanation.

Has anybody with a Vision Pro who bought Dr. Strange or rented it from Apple been able to view it in 3D? I’m talking about the first movie and not the second? I can watch a 3D version in Disney+ but might not always subscribe and really would like to have this in 3D if a 3D version is really there and their explanation was just a cop out.

I’d be very interested to hear from anybody who owns it or bought it and can play it in 3D from Apple’s store and not via the Disney+ app or maybe if really is mislabeled in their store and nobody can watch the first one in 3D unless they watch it in the Disney+ app.
That’s one of my messed up movies too, and I wish they’d fix the problem. Someone on Reddit suggested gifting the movie to yourself and that might fix the issue but I have 17 movies and I’m not spending over $100 to fix something that’s broken on Apple’s side. I was hoping the 1.1 update would fix SOMETHING, but it didn’t. Maybe the 2.0 update in the fall will do something but at this point I don’t have my hopes up for anything.

Reactions: Macaholic868

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
That’s one of my messed up movies too, and I wish they’d fix the problem. Someone on Reddit suggested gifting the movie to yourself and that might fix the issue but I have 17 movies and I’m not spending over $100 to fix something that’s broken on Apple’s side. I was hoping the 1.1 update would fix SOMETHING, but it didn’t. Maybe the 2.0 update in the fall will do something but at this point I don’t have my hopes up for anything.

I asked Apple support how I could delete the movie so I could re-buy it and re-download it and they told me there wasn’t a way. I’d also read that some people are getting around the code redemption issue by purchasing a bundle that has the film as a part of it and that has allowed them to redownload the 3D version so I tried buying the 2 movie bundle but had the same issue. I was warned I already purchased a film in the bundle before I paid for it with Apple Pay and asked if I was sure I wanted to buy the bundle anyway and said yes to that. Sure enough, the non 3D version was still there after buying the bundle so I applied for and got a refund on the bundle.

I’m still curious to find somebody who actually has the 3D version of this movie from Apple because if I can I’ll re-open the case and tell support that their guess that it was simply mislabeled in the store is wrong and it’s something wrong with my device. Unless I can find an example I can reference I don’t want to lie about it and waste someone’s time if it really is actually a labeling issue that the tech support division and the engineers / developers can’t correct in this case.

So, just out of curiosity, these movies you’re talking about are all movies you bought from Apple and not movies you got by redeeming a code that gave you a digital download right?

Also, does anybody know if there’s a way to delete a purchased film from your Mac? I bought it on my Apple TV and don’t have it downloaded anywhere but if there’s a way you can download it to your Mac and then remove it from your library I’d be willing to give it a try just to see. You’d think if it was really just a labeling issue they would have corrected it very quickly after everybody complained there was no 3D version of it. The fact that they haven’t changed it in the listing on the store tells me that support just gave me a SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) because they didn’t want to bother with it …..

Last edited:
Reactions: fatTribble

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I asked Apple support how I could delete the movie so I could re-buy it and re-download it and they told me there wasn’t a way. I’d also read that some people are getting around the code redemption issue by purchasing a bundle that has the film as a part of it and that has allowed them to redownload the 3D version so I tried buying the 2 movie bundle but had the same issue. I was warned I already purchased a film in the bundle before I paid for it with Apple Pay and asked if I was sure I wanted to buy the bundle anyway and said yes to that. Sure enough, the non 3D version was still there after buying the bundle so I applied for and got a refund on the bundle.

I’m still curious to find somebody who actually has the 3D version of this movie from Apple because if I can I’ll re-open the case and tell support that their guess that it was simply mislabeled in the store is wrong and it’s something wrong with my device. Unless I can find an example I can reference I don’t want to lie about it and waste someone’s time if it really his actually a labeling issue in this one case.

So, just out of curiosity, these movies you’re talking about are all movies you bought from Apple and not movies you got by redeeming a code that gave you a digital download right?

Also, does anybody know if there’s a way to delete a purchased film from your Mac? I bought it on my Apple TV and don’t have it downloaded anywhere but if there’s a way you can download it to your Mac and then remove it from your library I’d be willing to give it a try just to see. You’d think if it was really just a labeling issue they would have corrected it very quickly after everybody complained there was no 3D version of it. The fact that they haven’t changed it in the listing on the store tells me that support just gave me a SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) because they didn’t want to bother with it …..
I have email receipts from purchasing the movie so I know I paid full price and didn’t redeem a code. I’m a hardcore Marvel person so as soon as a movie is available I buy them immediately since digital versions are available before a physical release.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I have email receipts from purchasing the movie so I know I paid full price and didn’t redeem a code. I’m a hardcore Marvel person so as soon as a movie is available I buy them immediately since digital versions are available before a physical release.

Well that sucks! Sorry to hear that it’s happening on that kind of a scale. Glad to know I’m not the only one having this issue though. Everything I’d read seemed to be about people who redeemed codes to get their movies.

I've never done that. If I like a movie I’ve seen in the theater I’ll buy it on digital from Apple the day that its available or if I didn’t catch it in a theater but think I’ll like it based on the reviews, etc. then I’ll do the same.

Have you tried calling Apple again and trying your luck with a different support rep? I’m going to try that next but would love to have somebody confirm it’s not a labeling issue for this specific title so I can shut that theory down. At least now I can argue that I know I’m not the only one this is happening to and it’s not for labeling reasons in your case because of how many titles aren’t showing up for you.

The good news is since we did buy them legitimately you’d think this is something that will get fixed. It’s just a matter of getting to the right support person or using the next developer beta to provide feedback and hope that somebody sees it and looks into it assuming they aren’t already. I’ll try going that route as well when the next developer beta is put out there if I don’t get anywhere with support.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Have you tried calling Apple again and trying your luck with a different support rep?

I haven’t called Apple Support at all about this issue, but I may do so next week since I’ve installed 1.1 and it hasn’t fixed anything. My hope that was since the Star Trek movies appeared in my 3D collection after not being there that maybe the other movies might somehow get fixed behind the scenes but that might take a while if it ever happens.

Reactions: fatTribble

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I haven’t called Apple Support at all about this issue, but I may do so next week since I’ve installed 1.1 and it hasn’t fixed anything. My hope that was since the Star Trek movies appeared in my 3D collection after not being there that maybe the other movies might somehow get fixed behind the scenes but that might take a while if it ever happens.

You should call them even if you spend an hour and don’t get anywhere like I did. The more people who report it the better chance it gets acknowledged and addressed if it hasn’t been already internally there.

Jstill71

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I returned my avp for this reason. So if that doesn't send a sign to Apple, I don't know what will.

Reactions: Berek

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

I think the Star Trek movies appeared for everyone, even those that did not own them, as part of Apple promoting the AVP. They are listed as available for a limited time.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I think the Star Trek movies appeared for everyone, even those that did not own them, as part of Apple promoting the AVP. They are listed as available for a limited time.
There’s a bunch of movies that are free right now, but I already owned them and they were there, then gone, and back again.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.