Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
I just DM’d you a step by step guide on how to do it. Read it and follow it and you’ll understand it.
Thanks for that! It’s like playing six degrees of separation.
Can’t figure a way to get from Beyoncé to Dwane Johnson in San Andreas. 😂

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Thanks for that! It’s like playing six degrees of separation.
Can’t figure a way to get from Beyoncé to Dwane Johnson in San Andreas. 😂

Try the a search between the two using the follow link and click the “Find a different link” button until you get a path between the two that you can use.

You’ll get a path between them that looks like the one below but it’s randomized so you’ll probably get something different.

If that still doesn’t work because one of the films isn’t in the Apple Store or the actor/actress that connects them has such a small part that they aren’t listed then try any other actor / actress to Beyoncé then that same actor / actress to Dwayne Johnson.

Try somebody like Kevin Bacon. Hence the game 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon and the website I linked to above. Sooner or later you will get a path with all of the films in the Apple Store. 😆

Last edited:

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Was hoping the new update would unlock 3D on my missing movies. No luck. I’m missing some major ones like Avatar 2, Super Mario, all Marvel just because I bought the disc versions and redeemed digital code. 😔

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Was hoping the new update would unlock 3D on my missing movies. No luck. I’m missing some major ones like Avatar 2, Super Mario, all Marvel just because I bought the disc versions and redeemed digital code. 😔
Best you can do is use a site/app like CheapCharts and set alerts for when the movies go below a specified price point and then gift them to yourself but that would mean basically buying them again.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
use a site/app like CheapCharts and set alerts for when the movies go below a specified price point

or use CamelCamel to set a price alert on Amazon. Many times you can get the digital copy and a physical disk for the price of just a digital copy.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
or use CamelCamel to set a price alert on Amazon. Many times you can get the digital copy and a physical disk for the price of just a digital copy.
But wouldn’t that be a problem if the movie is redeemed through Movies Anywhere? I’ve used sites to buy cheap digital movies and I didn’t get the 3D version so it was a waste for that version.

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Best you can do is use a site/app like CheapCharts and set alerts for when the movies go below a specified price point and then gift them to yourself but that would mean basically buying them again.
How do you gift it? I don’t see any option but to share a link to the movie.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
How do you gift it? I don’t see any option but to share a link to the movie.
Go back a page on here, and find a reply of mine; basically it involves the iTunes Store app, Beyoncé, and then jumping around from artist to artist until you find the movie you are looking for.

Reactions: geauxmac

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
https://appleinsider.com/inside/app...o-find-3d-movies-to-watch-on-apple-vision-pro

Whats interesting to me in that article is the link to all of the 3D movies in the TV app.
It‘s a lot more than what I can see in the TV app on Vision Pro.

I’m a disc buyer so I think I’m totally hosed for 3D in Vision Pro, but there are a few movies that I’d buy again if I could or would definitely pay an upgrade fee. It seems this is all still in flux so I’ll probably wait a bit longer to see if Apple improves anything.

Reactions: G5isAlive

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I’m a disc buyer so I think I’m totally hosed for 3D in Vision Pro, but there are a few movies that I’d buy again if I could or would definitely pay an upgrade fee. It seems this is all still in flux so I’ll probably wait a bit longer to see if Apple improves anything.

You can always rebuy the movie and get the 3D version that way.

And what’s weird about that link is that in the All 3D movies section they only show the 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy movie even though the first 2 movies are also available in 3D.

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
You can always rebuy the movie and get the 3D version that way.

And what’s weird about that link is that in the All 3D movies section they only show the 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy movie even though the first 2 movies are also available in 3D.
So I tried what you said, if I understand the process correctly. I tried searching for an actor like Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher then went to one of the 3D movies. It shows where I can continue watching from my TV app purchase. The share arrow doesn’t show a gift option for me. I’m doing this in Vision Pro. Am I missing something in your process?

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
So I tried what you said, if I understand the process correctly. I tried searching for an actor like Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher then went to one of the 3D movies. It shows where I can continue watching from my TV app purchase. The share arrow doesn’t show a gift option for me. I’m doing this in Vision Pro. Am I missing something in your process?
I sent you a private message with a step by step guide on how to do it.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
But wouldn’t that be a problem if the movie is redeemed through Movies Anywhere? I’ve used sites to buy cheap digital movies and I didn’t get the 3D version so it was a waste for that version.

Any digitial copy which is hosted by a service and isn't downloaded is subject to the whims of the studio. They can be withdrawn at any time from Movies Anywhere, iTunes, Vudu, ....

I assume that there has been little demand for 3D movies. VP may eventually change that, at which point they might change their policies.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Any digitial copy which is hosted by a service and isn't downloaded is subject to the whims of the studio. They can be withdrawn at any time from Movies Anywhere, iTunes, Vudu, ....

I assume that there has been little demand for 3D movies. VP may eventually change that, at which point they might change their policies.
My reply was because they mentioned buying physical copies and those digital codes included are usually for Movies Anywhere and with the AVP the 3D version won’t be available in the tv app.

And I understand the demand isn’t like it was 10 years ago when people bought 3D televisions and such but a lot of the studios are sitting on past releases they could be selling and making money off of; though I imagine it would involve effort getting them up to the quality of the screens on the AVP.

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
I don't thinks Apple is going to resolve this. It's a 'buy from Apple directly or no 3D for you". Same as with their HD->4K upgrades.
They’re even trying to cut corners on the 4K upgrades now. Noticed my HD copy of The Departed (bought on iTunes) never upgraded. Only to find a 4K version exists as a new listing. :-(

• Wow

DaPhox

Suspended
Oct 23, 2019
Youre very lucky considering their cinematic quality.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
They’re even trying to cut corners on the 4K upgrades now. Noticed my HD copy of The Departed (bought on iTunes) never upgraded. Only to find a 4K version exists as a new listing. :-(
Oh dang, just noticed I'm in the same boat.

I don't feel this situation is 100% Apple's blame. Warner Bros. has a habit of relisting titles when they put out the 4K version. 90% of the time the old listing also gets upgraded. I don't think anyone's figured out the pattern, however.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
What I am unclear about is when a new release will get 3D option. For example, Dune 2 had a 3D theatrical release, but if you were to purchase digital now from Apple, it does not seem to include 3D at present. If one purchases it today will it get added later? I am not going to assume that it will.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
What I am unclear about is when a new release will get 3D option. For example, Dune 2 had a 3D theatrical release, but if you were to purchase digital now from Apple, it does not seem to include 3D at present. If one purchases it today will it get added later? I am not going to assume that it will.

What theater did you go to? I live in NJ/NY tri-state area and NO theater had a 3D version of Dune 2. I did a quick google search and everything I’m seeing says there’s no 3D version of Dune 2 anywhere.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
What theater did you go to? I live in NJ/NY k area and NO theater had a 3D version of Dune 2. I did a quick google search and everything I’m seeing says there’s no 3D version of Dune 2 anywhere.
Yes, apparently it is not. It was shot in IMAX, and so I expect the IMAX app for Vision Pro will have it at some point (maybe even now but I have to install to see; the App Store description shows only about 10 movies).

I don't know if they can make 3D after the fact somehow.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I don't know if they can make 3D after the fact somehow.

It can be done but it won’t be as good as if the movie was shot in 3D. Studios have done retro 3D on movies like Jurassic Park and Top Gun but someone would have to go through and separate the layers manually to get the right effect. Pixar can do a 3D conversion on an older movie because it’s animated so it’ll look more natural.

I honestly don’t see Warner Bros going through all that for a tiny market. If 3D tvs were still a thing and other movies were released on 3D physical media you’d have a better shot of getting what you want.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
It can be done but it won’t be as good as if the movie was shot in 3D. Studios have done retro 3D on movies like Jurassic Park and Top Gun but someone would have to go through and separate the layers manually to get the right effect. Pixar can do a 3D conversion on an older movie because it’s animated so it’ll look more natural.

I honestly don’t see Warner Bros going through all that for a tiny market. If 3D tvs were still a thing and other movies were released on 3D physical media you’d have a better shot of getting what you want.
Well, Warner set my expectations with Dune 1, which is in 3D. But I guess they had other plans for D2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.