Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I saw that the Star Wars movies are on sale so I wanted to snag the 3D versions by gifting them to myself (I’ve been good lately so I deserve the gift 🤭)

But I don’t see any movies in iTunes for Beyoncé. Did they remove all movies from search results or do I need more coffee?

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
I saw that the Star Wars movies are on sale so I wanted to snag the 3D versions by gifting them to myself (I’ve been good lately so I deserve the gift 🤭)

But I don’t see any movies in iTunes for Beyoncé. Did they remove all movies from search results or do I need more coffee?
Which ones do you need? If it is all 3 sequel movies, you can buy the sequel trilogy bundle without the need to gift to yourself. I was also able to upgrade my copy of Rogue One with a code, but it had to be a iTunes redeemable code and not Movies anywhere or other source.

• Love
Reactions: fatTribble

myrtledog

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2015
Which ones do you need? If it is all 3 sequel movies, you can buy the sequel trilogy bundle without the need to gift to yourself. I was also able to upgrade my copy of Rogue One with a code, but it had to be a iTunes redeemable code and not Movies anywhere or other source.
I’m just finding it hard to believe that Apple makes it so difficult to take our $$ for an occasional upgrade like this?!?
I recently spoke with an Apple rep on the phone. He said they were aware that this was an issue as they get a lot of callers with the same issue…

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Has anyone tried disconnecting Movies Anywhere from iTunes to see if the movies would then be able to be purchased?

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Has anyone tried disconnecting Movies Anywhere from iTunes to see if the movies would then be able to be purchased?

I just found a trick to fix my issue with Doctor Strange. I own the movie, bought it through Apple without ever having bought a disc with a digital copy from any service, and when I view the list of 3D movies in my library it doesn’t show up there. If I manually open it up from my library there is no 3D icon like there is when you’re looking at the entry in the store.

Well I just figured out that if I use a link posted by another user above that links to an Apple Insider article about Apple 3D movies and bring up that link in Safari on the AVP and use the link in that page to launch the store and see all the 3D movies that if I go through the necessary menus there to get to Dr. Strange and click it then it opens it up in the Apple TV app but now it asks if I want to resume it in 2D or watch it in 3D. That 3D option isn’t there if I just bring up the movie using the Apple TV app under the Library Section. When I go that route for this one title there is no 3D option but going in using the link above let’s me watch them both and once you watch it in 3D you can then see the 3D version back in your library as well.

I don’t think the work around above will work for those who have existing Movies Anywhere titles and aren’t seeing the 3D version as a result. This work around works if you never used Movies Anywhere for a title and only see the 2D version in your library when you should be seeing the 3D version of it as well.

https://tv.apple.com/us/room/edt.item.6580f628-39d2-44bf-9f97-32c6c6ea8baa

Last edited:

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I actually tried removing the movie from my library in macOS in the TV app. It basically hid the purchase. Now I see an option to buy the movie, but sadly when I try it just says I already bought it and I can download or cancel.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I just found a trick to fix my issue with Doctor Strange. I own the movie, bought it through Apple without ever having bought a disc with a digital copy from any service, and when I view the list of 3D movies in my library it doesn’t show up there. If I manually open it up from my library there is no 3D icon like there is when you’re looking at the entry in the store.

Well I just figured out that if I use a link posted by another user above that links to an Apple Insider article about Apple 3D movies and bring up that link in Safari on the AVP and use the link in that page to launch the store and see all the 3D movies that if I go through the necessary menus there to get to Dr. Strange and click it then it opens it up in the Apple TV app but now it asks if I want to resume it in 2D or watch it in 3D. That 3D option isn’t there if I just bring up the movie using the Apple TV app under the Library Section. When I go that route for this one title there is no 3D option but going in using the link above let’s me watch them both and once you watch it in 3D you can then see the 3D version back in your library as well.

I don’t think the work around above will work for those who have existing Movies Anywhere titles and aren’t seeing the 3D version as a result. This work around works if you never used Movies Anywhere for a title and only see the 2D version in your library when you should be seeing the 3D version of it as well.

https://tv.apple.com/us/room/edt.item.6580f628-39d2-44bf-9f97-32c6c6ea8baa

So I did what you said and it did work for Dr. Strange but it only worked for that movie and none of the others that I bought through iTunes that I’m still missing. I also noticed that Dr. Strange is now in my library in the 3D section where it’s supposed to be so it’s possible it was fixed before I tried your method out. I cleared the Safari browser history in case that affected it somehow but the others still weren’t available in 3D. I’ll try a different day to see if that somehow affect all of this.

At least I got a movie back; I’m looking forward to watching Coco if that gets fixed for me in the tv app.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey

I DM’d you on here how to do it step by step but you do it in the iTunes app (where you buy music) and not in the tv app it.

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I DM’d you on here how to do it step by step but you do it in the iTunes app (where you buy music) and not in the tv app it.
Thanks! I thought I remembered every step but I had forgotten one. ☺️

I was able to gift myself the four 3D Star Wars movies. They were only $7.99 each so I’m pretty happy.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Hmm…I just noticed that another of the movies on my list (Coco) isn’t listed as being in 3D anymore. I wonder if movies were listed in error or they had problems with the movie and just took it off the 3D list until they fixed things.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’m probably the last person to see this, but under Search in the TV app in VP it shows a tile for all of the 3D movies. 😊

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Good to know! I hadn’t come across anything missing yet. The Apple rep called back yesterday on my issue of not being able to buy 3D movies. When I told her of the Beyoncé work around from you guys she admired the creativity and said clearly it should be easier.

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
Oh dang, just noticed I'm in the same boat.

I don't feel this situation is 100% Apple's blame. Warner Bros. has a habit of relisting titles when they put out the 4K version. 90% of the time the old listing also gets upgraded. I don't think anyone's figured out the pattern, however.
I think the pattern will be true for all 4K releases of older titles. Looks like The Crow didn’t get the 4K upgrade either — unless you bought the other listing. (Those with the Lionsgate HD copy are out of luck)

I’ve noticed new movies shifted from $19.99-$24.99 to $24.99-29.99 now as well.

The digital bubble has burst. It’s now the same price as disc and the “free” upgrades will soon be a thing of the past.

Reactions: TLewis

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I think the pattern will be true for all 4K releases of older titles. Looks like The Crow didn’t get the 4K upgrade either — unless you bought the other listing. (Those with the Lionsgate HD copy are out of luck)

I’ve noticed new movies shifted from $19.99-$24.99 to $24.99-29.99 now as well.

The digital bubble has burst. It’s now the same price as disc and the “free” upgrades will soon be a thing of the past.
I have a Miramax/Paramount version of The Crow (bought Mar '24) as well as the Lionsgate, neither got an upgrade. I'm in the US. I might need to refresh my library via another purchase, but I was hoping the Miramax/Paramount version would get upgraded.

Reactions: MinimeJer05

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
I have a Miramax/Paramount version of The Crow (bought Mar '24) as well as the Lionsgate, neither got an upgrade. I'm in the US. I might need to refresh my library via another purchase, but I was hoping the Miramax/Paramount version would get upgraded.
It should’ve. I bought the Paranount one in March as well and mine is showing as 4K

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

If you are not in a hurry you can get the 4K disk and a digital copy for as low as $8.99 during Black Friday deals.

Reactions: MinimeJer05

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
The Crow finally updated for me.

Did you have to buy a specific version from the store? I love The Crow and owned it on VHS back in the day but never re-purchased it on DVD so I’d love to buy it on digital but when I’m looking in the store I can’t seem to find one that shows it available in 4K.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Did you have to buy a specific version from the store? I love The Crow and owned it on VHS back in the day but never re-purchased it on DVD so I’d love to buy it on digital but when I’m looking in the store I can’t seem to find one that shows it available in 4K.
The only available version to purchase via Apple is the 4K version. If you're not looking on a device that supports HDR, it may only show you that it's available in HD. But the purchase will play back in 4K with a proper device.

Reactions: Macaholic868
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.